Search results

1. 1

hybrid system question

hi, i am planning on building my own tank and redoing all the equipment i have. i have been doing research on filtration, my question is about the plenum systems. when you set up a plenum, you have a void under 4-6" of gravel and sand, the void is approx. 1 to 1.5". and they say not to...
  2. 1

sps eating starfish

found this on www.garf.org as i was reading about their grunge. www.garf.org/STAR/starfish.html i have a lot of these starfish in my tank do not know if they have harmed anything though. anyone have any problems with these guys?
  3. 1

"GRUNGE" from GARF

Has anyone here ever bought and used "GRUNGE" from www.garf.org. I plan to restart my reef here in the next couple of months, just curious if anyone knows anything about grunge by having used it. thanks so much
  4. 1

Joes Juice good and bad!!!

well everyone that i have talked to has said that joes juice is safe on all corals and only hurts glass anemone's. well seems this is not true, squirted a glass anemone near my open brain and some of the juice got on the brain and ate a hole in it??? how resilient are these types of corals...
  5. 1

red hair algae???

Hi, I seem to have agrowing issue in my fuge. There is a lot of what i call red hair algoe growing in it in the rock on the sand bed and on the chaetomorpha and even on the walls of the fuge. None of the LFS in the are seem to know what it is or if has any ill effect on the main tank.. It...
  6. 1

ozone, uv sterilizer...or carbon

Hi all I am having a hard time deciding on whether to go with a uv sterilizer and an ozone machine...i have been using carbon every now and then but the results seem do disipate after a few days. The water begins to turn back to a yellow haze.... does an ozone machine and a uv sterilizer...
  7. 1

id on these please

have the first two pics taken from sump, they pop up for a month and then disappear for a month or so. third pic is in main tank, been there for a while never saw any of the maroon hair until recently then saw the hair and the little polops one day? at first thought is was red algae(which i...
  8. 1

What temp. is your water?

Just been doing some reading about the temperature a reef tank should be kept....too many opinions anywhere from low end 68' f to 85' f.?. Seems kind of broad, i know it depends on type of fish and coral, but most people have same ideas for fish and inverts and coral...What Temp Is Your Water...
  9. 1

Goniopora..FlowerPot Coral

I have this FlowerPot Coral in my 180 Gal tank in corner, moderate flow and good lighting....It has nearly trippled in size in about three months. Feed it cyclopeze, Dt's plankton and shrimp(baby brine) clacium levels are always above 400...Alk is always around 10....all other levels are...
  10. 1

thoughts on oceans motions 4 or 8 ways..

anyone use the oceans motions setup. what kind of pumps do you use and what size tanks are they in? using the revolutions or piped straight? i think these units are sweet going to purchase, let all know how they work when is done....:thumbup: :thumbup:
  11. 1

lighting for a reef?

what lights do you prefer? metal halide, vho, compacts? what kelvin ratings? i am having trouble deciding on mh lights. already have 3- 250w 10k ushio, kind of want a bluer spectrum. any one using megachrome or aqualine, my local fish store uses nothing but on their personal tanks. not in...
  12. 1

Controllers????????

looking to buy a controller, curious about peoples thoughts and experiences. Aquadyne octopus4000 or Neptune controller3. or if you have had luck with any other type of controllers would love to hear, good, bad, or whatever. thanks
  13. 1

hi everyone

hi names chris, new to sw-reefs having good luck though, bought tank in june or so have built everything else myself, all works farily well, debating on building and selling some of the stuff i build, stands, cabinets, hoods, skimmers, reactors(calc, carbon etc...) love the hobby very...