Search results

1. S

UV Sterilizer Schedule?

go to emperoraquatics.com and read "the truth about uv". it gives some interesting technical data and expains the science of uv including light output and flow rates. size of pump is critical. just some fyi. joe.
  2. S

UV Reccomendations?

my reccommendation would be EMPEROR AQUATICS. i have sold and used them for 15 years. emperoraquatics.com
  3. S

AGA tanks $$$$

I WAS REFERRING TO HOBBIEST TRYING TO TALK PRIVATE SHOP OWNERS DOWN TO AN UNPROFITABLE POINT IN ORDER TO MAKE A SALE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING, BUT I AM SURE YOU DO NOT SELL YOUR SELF SHORT. I DID READ THE ENTIRE QUOTE, THAT IS WHY I RESPONDED. I AGREE THAT MAKING A 120 SOUND...
  4. S

AGA tanks $$$$

I THINK YOU GUYS ARE FORGETTING THAT YOUR LFS NEEDS TO TURN A PROFIT TO STAY IN BUSINESS AND BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO STOCK THE ITEMS YOU NEED FOR YOUR REEFS. EVERY ITEM IN THESE SHOPS IS LIKE CASH SITTING ON THE SHELF. NONE OF THE PET SUPPLY CO. I KNOW GIVE TERMS. ALL ARE COD. THAT MEANS THAT THE...
  5. S

Attaching Zoa's

dollar stores usually have it in twin packs. the tubes are small and contain enough glue for about 5 frags. i have seen it 4 tubes for $1. joe
  6. S

Acotylean/Stylochid Flatworm ?

does anyone know anything about Acotylean/Stylochid? this is a type of flatworm that is light tan in color with spots all over the body. it is about 4" long and 1" wide. i have tried to post a photo but it says the file size is too big.(128kb and rs only allows up to 50kb) i am trying to figure...
  7. S

Question re Peppermint Shrimp

Shrimp Are Likely To Breed In The Aquarium But The Young Are Unlikely To Survive Ti Maturity In The Aquarium. The Simply Become Food For The Corals And Fish. Joe.
  8. S

what the heck is this on my monti?

can't seem to open photo but it sounds to me like a preditory nudibranch. these are very small and tend to resemble tiny white tenticals. i would take it out of the display tank and put it in a container of tank water. thentake a turkey baster and vigorously blow them off and discard them. keep...
  9. S

kH levels?

kh is the carbonate hardness of the water. this is the buffering capacity and helps stablize the ph. this helps to minimize ph swings within the day due to photosystesis. the kh also i believe assists in the uptake of oxygen and the processing of carbon. i think it may be a stretch to say the kh...
  10. S

Poll-Cost of a reef tank???

l would say from a retailer stand point a fully set up reef tank which would include: tank, stand, canopy, lights(pc's, mh and moon lights), reflecter, sump, pumps, skimmer, power heads, live rock( 2 pounds per gallon), substrate(2"), plumbing, test kits, salt, power strips, timers, six stage...
  11. S

Algae Bloom

i would say that 12 hours for a daily light cycle is a bit too long.with algae being a simple plant, it requires two things for survival and growth. those things are nutrients and sunlight. nutrients are from detritus which is from fish waste, excess fish food and dieing algae cells. i would...
  12. S

ok so i want a trigger...

i know by answering this i will stir thing but here goes. i think that generalizing a fish as reef safe is touchy because fish all have thier own personality and behavior patterns. with that said, i think the best 'reef safe' trigger is the blue jaw. these are generally calm, non aggressive fish...
  13. S

sea-lab 28

what do the fellow reefers think about sea-lab #28 automatic replenisher. seems like a miracle product. i am currently using at my retail shop and in many of our maintenance accounts. any opinion would be appreciated. thanks. joe
  14. S

G1-X vs RS135

i would go with the euro-reef. it blows my mind the difference the euro makes. it realy pulls the organics out and fast. we use euros on our coral retail systems and they work great.
  15. S

algae

i would stay away from most stars if it is a reef tank. chocolate chip stars are coral eaters. they love xenia and mushrooms and am sure they will eat other corals given the chance. green bahama stars also eat soft corals. sand sifting stars would be your best star choice as these are reef safe...
  16. S

lunch meat

be very careful of the preservatives that are in the lunch meats. these even in tiny amounts can cause problems with your corals and fish. if your tank does not have enough for them to scavenge, try a small pinch of a quality marine flake such as nutrafin marine.
  17. S

plants

there are a few marine plants that i think could be kept in a nano reef. shaving brush, mermaid fan and halamida are a few that seem to do well. the trick is 1-keep herbavore fish(tangs, rabbits etc.) away, 2- bright light, 3- deep sand bed(2" -3" as they spread by underground rhizomes) and 4-...
  18. S

north carolinian new to reef sanctuary

Hello, I Am A New Member To Rs But Have Been Visiting The Site For Some Time. My Name Is Joe And I Own Star Ridge Aquatics, Llc In Carthage, Nc. I Have Been In The Water Garden Business For 15 Years As An Installer, Grower, Retailer, Wholesale And Distributor. Two Years Ago, I Saw The Need For A...
  19. S

Coral ID - Help

looks like a chili to me. does it extend yellow-white polyps a few hours after lights go out? it should also expand its size to at least double its daylight size.