Search results

1. theplantman

Looking for Opinions on my next equipment purchase...what would you do?

The joys of living in a farmhouse in WV abound. You have the acreage, the stream, wildlife, no light pollution, peace, quite and tranquility:whstlr:.......you also have a 230 year old historic house that is insulated about as well as a 1974 AMC Gremlin...:snow: and is heated by you guessed it, a...
  2. theplantman

Power Power Power

I have been reading all the equipment posts and it is amazing what technology can do for us in the hobby. I thought it would be amusing to see how many plugs you have for your tank. Post the size of your tank and the number of outlets you have filled with electrical plugs. If you know, also post...
  3. theplantman

cycle is complete 13 days!

So 13 days ago I dropped in the shrimp, ammonia maxed out at about .3, and as of 4 days ago nitrates maxed out at 50. Same night diatoms started to show up, have had lights on 6 hours per day since, have about 50% coverage of diatoms on my LR and as of tonight ammonia is at 0 and nitrates have...
  4. theplantman

TECO Sea Chillers/Heater Combo

Does any one have any experience with these chillers. I need to start thinking about summer temps in a farmhouse and this chiller seems like a nice little unit. Also would be curious if you have the heater modification. Another nice feature for a nano chiller. 400 watt in line heater can be...
  5. theplantman

Quarantine Tank - Opinions Wanted :dunno:

I need to set up a quarantine tank and actually want to have a nice looking tank as this will end up at my house in my room. I am considering this tank since it is all in one and I know I don't need a bunch of fancy equipment to run a qt. Fyi, for the next 9 months, this tank will always have a...
  6. theplantman

Cycle Underway

The tank cycle is officially under way. Dropped in a shrimp Sunday night. Tested last night and ammonia was at .2, leaving shrimp in until ammonia hits .4 and then will pull it and watch for nitrites and nitrates to finish up the cycle. Hoping to be ready to fire up the protein skimmer on...
  7. theplantman

New Rock Work - Results from first water test

Pics of the new rock work Left Right Front Test Results Salinity - 1.025 PH 8.2 Alk 8.5 Ammonia 0 - Dropped in the shrimp!!!!!!
  8. theplantman

Seachem RENEW

Is anyone using this product instead of GAC. Feedback and performance info would be greatly appreciated.
  9. theplantman

theplantmans 34 Solana

Its time to start the thread because in another week this puppy will have water and rock in it.:woohoo: This is the setup: I hope you enjoy following the journey. The Tank 34 Gallon Solana Cube, Espresso Stand and Custom Open Top Canopy The Lighting Current USA Sunpod 250watt HQI Metal...
  10. theplantman

Flame Hawkfish

I am putting together a stocking list and was wondering if anyone has had success keeping these with coral banded and skunk cleaner shrimp? Let me know the good and bad experiences if you would. Thanks in advance. Mike
  11. theplantman

What Would You Do?

So, re-setting up my tank. All equipment and tank is soaked in vinegar water and cleaned, pumps are cleaned and tested, lights are cleaned and tested, skimmer cleaned and fired up and preparing to get live rock and sand just after christmas so i can be home to monitor the cycle. Now for the fun...
  12. theplantman

Aqua Vim Aquariums

I am curious to know if anyone here has any experience ordering tanks from Aqua Vim aquariums in NYC. If so, I am looking for the following info: 1. How was their customer service? 2. Did you go with their trademark glass or starphire? 3. If it was their Aquavim Glass, how do you like it...
  13. theplantman

Mike's Solana that was and "Shall" be again

Ok, so prior to starting the new build thread, i thought i would post some pics of the old setup prior to the relocation from ATL to the DC area. I hope these links work, i am more used to drag and drop than dealing with URL addresses. If they do and you want more, the rest are in an album in my...
  14. theplantman

New Member Introduction

Hello, I am a new member recently relocated from Atlanta to the DC area. was a member of the Atlanta Reef Club and have been searching for a local or national club to join so here I am. I am getting ready to start my 30 gallon Solana up again as well as looking to start a new build in the...