Search results

1. Talon33

What Temperature Do You Keep Your Tank At ?

I think you are as well running temps into the lows 80. Warmer temps means faster metabolic rates for all life forms. I am sure I would see much better coral growth if I bumped my temp up. May have to devise a little personal experiment on my coral growth and temp. If I can keep all other...
  2. Talon33

Purple algae?!

To me this looks like cyanobacteria. I had it once really bad in my tank after it was a FOWLR and I switched to a reef and the build up of the tap water and the light fueled a massive explosion. I mean my entire sand bed was covered. How I beat it was pretty simple. For starters I used 0 TDS...
  3. Talon33

What Temperature Do You Keep Your Tank At ?

My tank runs around 75-76 with no heater or chiller. Seems like mag runs pretty warm which I am fine with. Less power consumption and no chance of a heater failure. Everything seems happy. When I get an apex I may go ahead and run a heater and just tell the apex to shut the heater off if the...
  4. Talon33

Achilles Tang

Awesome, I am still undecided as the timing is inconvenient and I do not want to try to rush anything along but we will see. I will figure it out
  5. Talon33

Achilles Tang

Yeah I know I am borderline here with the tank size but I feel as I am being reasonable though too. My tank also has a pretty good amount of flow as well which would help. And yes absolutely to the QT. What about this though. I still want to add a wrasse and a small group of anthias to the...
  6. Talon33

Achilles Tang

Hey guys my reef is coming together awesome and the LFS has a great looking 3-4 inch achilles tang in. This guy is healthy, active, and thick! I have always loved to achilles tang and really want one for the tank to make my tank kinda special. I will give you guys some tank bio and you can let...
  7. Talon33

Talon's 125 gallon Reef (The Rebirth)

Messed around with the aquascape some more and still looks awful! haha I will never be an aquascaper hopefully looks good when grown up with coral anyways lol Canopy on! Another shot of the light and mounting And on more shot. Blurry, I know. Light messes with my phone a little but you can...
  8. Talon33

Hung the reef breeders light with just some heavy duty shelf brackets screwed into studs on the back wall Cheap and easy $10 solution but have some pics of how she looks now with the light. Gotta say I am pretty pleased by the light so far. Tunze hooked up! gotta figure out where I want to...
  9. Talon33

Thanks a lot. I have worked my tail off on the tank these last couple of days. I got the reefbreeders light hung above the tank and working on filling the tank with RO/DI water. Going to take awhile lol
  10. Talon33

Did a little aquascaping. I am definitely aquasaping challenged. I struggle with making my scape permanent by using epoxies and cements because I don't like it being permanent. I just stack and try to do my best with it. When I did this basic aquascape I did it with a purpose however. I tried...
  11. Talon33

Reefbreeders photon w 60 inch. Initially very pleased with this light. Housing is very study. Led layout looks good. Oh yeah and this thing powerful! I had it on messing with it and the fixture at 30% about gave me a sunburn! We will see how it looks on the tank and how corals respond. Only...
  12. Talon33

Plumbing is complete!
  13. Talon33

RODI unit leaking

I purchased a used 75 gpd BRS ro/di unit and hooked it up today. Well it is leaking. It looks like it is leaking on the carbon block canister where it screws in to the housing. I am hoping it didnt get damaged during shipping. I will do some more observations and see if I can pinpoint the leak...
  14. Talon33

Kessil or reef breeder?

It's a hard choice, I really can't afford to keep both right now. I mean that like $400 worth of coral when I sell one or the other! Kessil look nice and sleek. Shimmer is awesome. Color good but stuck in that spectrum. Reefbreeders nothing but good things to say, powerful par monsters, full...
  15. Talon33

Kessil or reef breeder?

Also tank is 6ft 125 gallons
  16. Talon33

Kessil or reef breeder?

So I am setting up my tank right now and need some advice on lighting. I originally had 4 Kessil a150 sky blues I was going to use. 3 of which I already have. Well I found a reef breeders photon w 60 for $450 that has only been turned on once so I grabbed it. Basically I like the kessils a lot...
  17. Talon33

The stand is looking much better now with high gloss white paint!
  18. Talon33

Tank background is finished. Now for a fresh couple of coats on the inside of the stand and I'll throw that sump under there and start doing some plumbing.
  19. Talon33

Also have another kessil a150 on the way and ordered 80 pounds or marcorocks sand.