Search results

1. J

trying to get rid of dinoflagellates

How many hours do you run your lights? Only time I experience Dino is if I pass 8-9 hours.
  2. J

trying to get rid of dinoflagellates

I've read about it but I don't buy it. There's simply too many low/zero nitrate tanks to imply a lack of nitrates allows the growth of Dino. And saying water changes adds more nitrates/phosphates is just plain wrong assuming you're using zero TDs ro/di water.
  3. J

New neon green goniopora

I have two green gonioporas, one I got healthy and the other I got for pennies because it was dying. Both of mine are under halides just off the sandbed and they've both been doing good for almost a year. Theyre both growing constantly and I only randomly feed zooplankton/phyto.
  4. J

Can't seem to shake this HA problem... Experts enter

i cant really tell by looking at the pic. looks dusty like its got detritus all over it. if it were to be dino all i do is cut my lights back a little bit. dino has always decided how long my light cycle lasts. if i were to increase my light cycle by 30 minutes, i WILL have a dino outbreak. my...
  5. J

@lee.... brown with bubbles in it?
  6. J

Jebao wp40 review

above 70% i can hear a light buzzing but i have to be right next to the tank. one of them is a little more.noticable than the other also.
  7. J

DianaKay's RSM 250

the black spots are extremely common and typically not a sign of anything bad. one pair of clowns i had never hosted anything and they had them, another pair i had hosted everything and never had them. just google black spots on clownfish and youll have a never ending list of people who have...
  8. J

i think the only benefit to running them less is running them reverse of the dt lights to help control alk swings. lots of people do reverse and lots do 24/7. i do whatever i feel works.
  9. J

no powerheads in the sump. only current it has is what it gets from the drain line. then it hits the skimmer chamber that has a pump feeding biopellets and returning into the skimmer chamber. skimmer is a bubble magus nac 6. way undersized for my new tank but i havent had any problems yet and im...
  10. J

approx. 30 gallon fuge 36w 10,000k pc flourescent bulb. running 24/7. somewhere around 800 gph flow.
  11. J

i would like to clarify that i will get hga in my sump(fuge section). people say to remove it to export the nutrients but i have never once cleaned my sump with the intentions of exporting nutrients(not advocating any specific method). all i really have in there is a very small amount of chaeto...
  12. J

i havent viewed your thread in a while so i dont know what your filtration is like but i thought id throw this out there.... i dont typically run any sort of sponge filters or socks, but to help control detritus ill throw some in and blow off my rocks with a powerhead. ill lightly blow the sand...
  13. J

BRS Group Buy - November 2013

im in. pm sent.
  14. J

coral color

i dont know the proper spectrums but i do know that i have seen corals look so unbelievably awesome under led lighting. there are tons of people who will know what you need.
  15. J

DianaKay's RSM 250

nanoreefings post nailed it on the head. the tubeless hobs are a horrible design. the one lifereef says is basically an exact copy is eshopps. the eshopps and lifereef will NOT break siphon. they have a divider setup on the back that traps a small amount of water and causes a small amount to get...
  16. J

Blue's 120 Reef

you wont need a ca reactor. i have two montis a few other sps and a bunch of lps and all i run is kalk. most people seem to agree kalk is good until you get inyo sps dominate tanks. i use brightwell aquatics kalk+2 because it doses magnesium and strontium. i dont have a stront test but my mag...
  17. J

Choff's RSM 650 Build

i agree with ya there. im not big on constantly monitoring my tanks stats and even though i think my tank is surprisingly well maintained for how much i slack, there is a bit of fluctuation in my params and that little bit seems to mess with alot of sps. i have a few(pocillepora(or however its...
  18. J

Unanswered Question

a dsb will naturally become anaerobic. the lack of flow in the deep parts of a dsb cause it. the shallower parts will still be aerobic. the cover will probably help make it slightly more anaerobic but not much because the water itself is already oxygenated. the biggest benefit of the cover im...
  19. J

Unanswered Question

p your tank is well maintained and healthy. i wouldnt pay any attention to them. i definitly wouldnt stir them up.
  20. J

Unanswered Question

i believe the anaerobic atmosphere is actually the key to effective nitrate reduction. i could be wrong.