Search results

1. Roots

Shutting It All Down

OK, Sold. Nothing is available.
  2. Roots

Case Of The Unknown Poop....Solved!!

I've had a Sand Sifting Sea Star in my 55 for over a year now and it's great for stirring the sand bed. I also have a fighting Conch and a few nassarius snails. I never have issues with detritus buildup on my sand bed. Also make sure you have good flow as mentioned by the others.
  3. Roots

SPS acro back from the dead

That's cool as hell. Looks like a nice specimen, it's gonna look killer when it grows out!
  4. Roots

Shutting It All Down

No, sorry. All my equipment is cheap stuff. No high end pumps or powerbeads. As far as dry goods go I have 200 gal. salt mix. JBJ Arctica 1/5 HP Chiller, Digital Milwaukee Refractometer, Reef Octopus BH2000 HOB Skimmer BRAND NEW IN BOX, my lights are cheap too. I'll probably put it all on...
  5. Roots

Shutting It All Down

I know what you mean about Cali and the guns. Believe me, I would like to move. I am thinking we might go to Oregon in the near future. I enjoy them still though. Nothing is more relaxing and fun than a day of shooting.
  6. Roots

Shutting It All Down

Thanks I appreciate it. It's a financial thing. The economy is bad and I have no choice at this time. I need to eliminate extra expenses from my life right now. I have two hobbies. Reefing and Guns. I am not giving up my guns! So the reef has to go. Maybe life will lead me back to it sometime in...
  7. Roots

Hurricane Sandy victims please read

You're too cool Jared. Karma points for you.
  8. Roots

Shutting It All Down

I have for sale everything in my tanks. I'm getting out of the hobby. I have a thriving Reef Tank with many beautiful fish and corals. I live in The Inland Empire CA, Hemet CA to be precise. I am looking to sell locally on the livestock if possible, but if someone really wants something I have I...
  9. Roots

Re-Aquascaping?

If you're planning to completely redo your aquascape I would recommend putting the livestock into a QT for a couple days. Stirring the sandbed and moving all the rocks around will release a lot of detritus into the water and could cause an ammonia spike. It should only last for a day or two and...
  10. Roots

Help!!!stung by blue hippo while cleaning tank-unbearable pain in my arm

Try soaking it in Distilled Vinegar Solution. Works for many types of stings.
  11. Roots

Question on Clownfish

They are trying to host the fake anemone. It is a fake anemone right? Either way real or fake they are trying to host in it. Clownfish and anemones have a symbiotic relationship in the wild. The Anemone provides a safe haven for the Clownfish and in return the Clownfish will bring small bits of...
  12. Roots

Help!!!stung by blue hippo while cleaning tank-unbearable pain in my arm

Generally speaking a Bee sting is non lethal as well, but I'm allergic to them and I have a much more serious reaction than most and it can be life threatening. Anaphylaxis is not something to be taken lightly. A severe allergic reaction to almost any toxin can result in a life threatening...
  13. Roots

BTA or Sebae

That's a bleached out BTA. It has expelled some of its zooxanthellae. Once it has settled in for a few days, try feeding it small maybe 1/2"-3/4" pieces of Silverside. It has been what returned my Sebae to good health. Mine was bleached out when I got it too.
  14. Roots

Good Bye

Wow. I wish you all the success life can bring you. Sounds like you are in for an adventure with all the traveling. Thank you for helping me with all of my issues when I first joined the forum. You will be missed.
  15. Roots

Help with this leather Kenya Tree coral

any measurable nitrite is a problem. Kenya trees will go through periods of retraction where they get sort of stiff and lose some color and drop some branches. It's one way that they reproduce. The dropped branches can attach and grow a new colony. As long as a small piece of the original colony...
  16. Roots

My 55 Gal. Reef with 20 Gal Sump/Refugium Thread with Lots of Pics

Sooooo.... The latest development for me in my reef keeping adventure is that I think I am going to have to sell my tank and equipment. I ran into some financial distress and now the tank is a luxury I can't afford. I'm still mulling it over and crunching a lot of numbers but I sure could use...
  17. Roots

Pics of New Pair of Wyoming White Oscellaris Clownfishes

Unfortunately no. She lived 16 days and I am not completely sure if she came to me sick or was somehow infected with something from my DT. I treated with formalin thinking she had brook and it wasn't until after the second treatment that she looked really bad and then I noticed that she had an...
  18. Roots

Brain Id please

I'm no expert. Looks like either a Trachyphyllia or Wellsophyllia but I can't say which for sure. I'm sure someone will chime in with a definitive ID. Nice looking Brain Coral though! I still need a nice Wellso or Trachy for my reef.
  19. Roots

Red Dragon

What is Red Dragon? What kind of coral is it? Googled it. It's the Red Dragon Acro? Lemme see if I can come up on some quick cash. Looks like something I need!
  20. Roots

HOB Skimmers that dont splash

Yeah my return is a pipe that returns the water below the water line. It works great though. I am gonna continue to use it on my 20 gal. Clownfish breeder tank once I setup my Reef Octopus on my big tank. The problem with the BacPack is that the larger model for over 65-70 gal. uses two pumps...