Search results

1. D

50/50 lighting ?

What's the deal with 50/50 t12 lighting? Why do people use this instead of all actinic? Which type of lighting is better for LPS corals ? DJPJ
  2. D

when should I replace lights?

Hello people, I haven't post in a while b/c my tank has been up and running pretty good. Currently I am using 4 VHO's ( 2 super white & 2 actinics){ 440 watts} How can you tell the lights need to be replaced? I've had them for about 2 plus years and they're still going. One more...
  3. D

WHICH RO/DI system should I BUY?

Hey guys I'm looking into buying a RO/DI unit. I'm tired of going to my lfs weekly to get 20 gallons of saltwater. My question is which one is good to buy? There are so many out there and don't want to buy the wrong one. I live in miami and I have a 100 gallon reef tank with mostly lps and other...
  4. D

double pump help

I have a sump pump and was wondering if it can be done- I bought a second pump which is a dry pump. Can I connect my sump return pump to my dry pump which is elevated about a foot and a half. which then the dry pump returns the water to my main tank. I attached a picture for visual aid. thank...
  5. D

test kits

I'm looking to buy a new test kit for my water. With so many testing products out there it's hard to choose the right one for your tank. I recently bought a nitrate test becuase my last one ran out. It was horrible, the color patterns go from light pink to dark pink and the range in ppm is not...
  6. D

Eco Aqualizer what do think?

Hello- I've decided to upgrade my protein skimmer for the first time and don't want to make the same mistake by buying a useless skimmer. I ran into a site that sells a ionization purification system. The site claims it works better than a protein skimmer, reduces your water changes by 75%...
  7. D

how much light does Caulerpa need?

Hello I finish setting up a 20 gallon sump/with a 10 gallon refugium with mineral mud, live rock and caulerpa. I am currently using a coralife mini aquatic light with 2-10,000 K 18 watt fixture. Is this too much or too little lighting for the caulerpa? Thank you, DJPJ
  8. D

Mud Setup??

Hello all- What's the proper way to setup a mud substrate in a refugium on a establish tank?The instructions on the mineral mud refer only to new tanks that are being cycled. DJPJ
  9. D

Blue spiny lobster MISSING!

Hello- Just 4 days ago I bought a 40 dollar blue spiny lobster. Nice looking lobster wit 4 inch antennas. The LFS told me they tend to escape tanks. So I put a cover that covers 75% of the tank. (The best I could do) The next morning I woke up and to my surprise it was missing. I have a 9o...
  10. D

GE-Silicone I is it safe?

Hello, Last Night I bulid my sump w/ refugium. I used GE Silicone I for Window and Door. It's curing right now. But I can't help asking myself if it's safe. Has anyone used this product before on aquariums? Thanks, DJPJ
  11. D

VHO's just atinics

I have four 48 inch VHO's 2 atinics and two white. How can I make just my atinics come on? thx-djpj
  12. D

phosphates too high

hello again- Well my 90 gallon predator/reef tank has been up in running for about 7 months. Everything is running smoothly so far- water parameters are nitrate > 20 ppm, nitrite 0ppm, ammonia 0 ppm, pH 8.2, salinity 1.025, but phosphates are way to high it's about 5 ppm. For the past two...
  13. D

Don"t Buy From Aquatraders!

Where to begin with the crap I've been through with AQUATRADERS. Well- I bought a 45 inch submersible moon led light. I received it damaged through UPS. I followed protocol to send the item back to the company- which they would send me a new set after they received the damaged product. After 4...
  14. D

anemone keeps moving??

I have a tomato clown with it's green tip anemone companion. Anyways I'm not sure if the anemone is getting proper feeding from it's clown fish. I've read if you have a clown it's not necessary to feed your anemone and a moving anemone is a stressed anemone. I've had my anemone and clown for...
  15. D

Hurricane season is coming- what to do???

hello eveybody! I wanted to get some advice for hurricane prep. i live in miami, so that means I will mostly likely be a target for a hurricane or 4, which means no power!! yikes. This is my first hurricane season with my saltwater tank and i was planning to get a generator. i have corals...
  16. D

battle of the ick

hello there I'm currently having an ick problem in my tank- I'm using a super concentrated garlic solution from kent to treat the tank. I've had I lot of mix reviews about ick treament solution like ick attack but some say there's no proof of these medical solutions working. Beside using a UV...
  17. D

attack of the ick

hello there I'm currently having an ick problem in my tank- I'm using a super concentrated garlic solution from kent to treat the tank. I've had I lot of mix reviews about ick treament solution like ick attack but some say there's no proof of these medical solutions working. Beside using a UV...
  18. D

coral nutrition??

hello everybody out there. I had a question on coral nutrition, being that there's a million one products for coral supplement- what do you guys suggest for an overall essential product for coral supplement. And how often should these products be given. Sorry for the newbie question but I've...
  19. D

leather corals having problems

Hello there I bought a yellow purplish coral three days ago, I have VHO pumping out 490 watts. It seems that the coral is de attaching itself. It also seems that the leather is deteriorating. Because when I moved it to a higher level of light it was releasing small yellow particles. Does this...
  20. D

loinfish has cloudy eyes- what to do?

hello i my tank is about a month old after proper cycling. It's a 90 gallon predator tank. My 4 inch lion fish has cloudy eyes and is not moving as a usually does. He's mostly hanging out in the bottom. I took a water sample to my LFS and they told me my pH is low and nitrate levels are a bit...