Search results

1. lgerold

I'd like to upgrade my Octopus NW200 with new pump

Hi! I would like to replace my Octopus 3000. It needs a new needle wheel impeller, and some o-rings. I've been unhappy with the amount of skimmate with the NW200 since purchase, so I'm thinking I should just scrap the pump and step it up with a better pump. I've done the mods, and have not...
  2. lgerold

Those silly clowns

Hi! I've read alot of posts lately from folks that want to get an anemone to host their clowns. Or, from folks that want to use a coral to host their clowns. So, let's start a thread of pictures of clowns and their hosts, especially non-anemone hosts. Since I thought of this (at least...
  3. lgerold

Fighting Conch

Hi! I am considering purchasing a few fighting conchs. I've got a few areas on my DSB that are not getting cleaned or turned over well enough. No Cyano in the tank, no Hair Algae. Just some greenish/rusty colored areas that need to be more regularly turned over. I don't want to add...
  4. lgerold

Finally - the protein skimmer is done.

Hello! We decided to build a skimmer similar to Snailman's 4" counter-current protein skimmer. You can see his plans at: http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/diy4inskimmer.htm Hubby, Mike, and I had some problems with the design, mostly with the fact that he uses glue to attach the body to the...
  5. lgerold

I got some new eye candy yesterday!

I fell in love with a couple favias on the Reefer Madness website ( http://www.reefermadness.us ), over the weekend. I've never ordered from them before, but since they had some nice stuff on sale, I decided to give them a try. I'm sure glad I did! Their packaging was superb. Each coral was...
  6. lgerold

An interesting crab. ID please?

Hi! I've been watching this guy for a week or so now. I didn't even realize it was a crab living in this hole! I've had this coral for about 6 weeks. I'll bet I took 30 pictures of this guy trying to get a clear shot!:smirk: First, his house. Pretty nice digs! Green grass, mountains...
  7. lgerold

Magnesium issues

:eek: Hi everyone! I'm having trouble with my magnesium. Tank description in signature. Water params are below: Sal: 1.0265 Calc: 440 ppm Alk: 10.8 dKH, 3.88 meq/l Nitrates: 4.4 ppm Phos: .10 to .25 ppm Iodine: .03 ppm iodide PH: 7.98 Magnesium: 1/26: 1080 Dosed with 8 ounces...
  8. lgerold

One of those DUMB moments!

Today started out great. I had ordered some zoo frags from Sharky's (nice stuff Sharky's!), and they arrived yesterday. I set them out on a plate rock that we bought specifically for this purpose. Today, I received another shipment (15!), and tonight I set to placing them and gluing them onto...
  9. lgerold

We want to build a protein skimmer

Hi! The new upgrade to 210 gallon tank does force us to build or buy a new protein skimmer. Hubby is quite talented with his hands (all right, I'm expecting some snickers here) :bouncer: so he would like to have a go at building this thing, rather than buying one. We do have a 1/2 bath on...
  10. lgerold

The upgrade is is over!

Hi all! We started the upgrade from our 125 gallon reef tank, to the new 210 gallon reef tank at 10:30 am on Sunday. Would have liked to start earlier, but my friend, Chad, had a very long drive. I promise pictures soon - I took a few during the move, and I'll be taking more when the...
  11. lgerold

Sunday's the big day - upgrading tank!

Sunday is the big day! We'll be upgrading our 125 to a 210. I feel like an expectant mom! Excited for the big day, apprehensive too. I'd love any suggestions from others that have been through this. I think I have all my bases covered, but I'd love any insight you can give!:jumprope:
  12. lgerold

So, I need a new skimmer...

Hi again! I'm hoping to stand the skimmer alongside the 33 gallon long tank that I'll be using as a refugium under the tank. Another option would be to hang it off the side. Some of the skimmers are supposed to stand in the sump. I'm afraid that will take up alot of room. Will this work...
  13. lgerold

To clean or not to clean - Remora C

Hi! Sasquatch's post reminds me of something I have been pondering for a few days. I've got two skimmers on my tank, a HOB skimmer (can't remember the name, but it's undersized) and a Remora C Pro. Of course, I started out with the HOB, but found it didn't skim enough for my system, and...
  14. lgerold

Some photos to share

I woke up this morning, ready to begin final preparations for our Holiday gathering scheduled for today, to find out that it had rained 2 1/2 inches last night. That's probably not really exciting to lots of you, but we live in Northern Minnesota! After the 2 1/2 inches of rain, the storm...
  15. lgerold

A first for me!

Maybe some of you will remember back in the old days, when you were still fairly new at this reef game... Today, my water is PERFECT! For the very first time! I'm sure that I have jinxed it now :yup: PH 8.1 Calc 420 Alk 2.86 Sal 1.0275 Nitrates 0!!! Phos 0 to .003 Mag 1320 Iodide .03...
  16. lgerold

I finally decided on a camera...

Hi!:jumprope: Well, we finally did it. We got caught up in the weather and horrible traffic in Minneapolis Thursday, and spent the night in a motel near the Mall of America. After dinner, we wandered through the Mall, and happened to come across Ritz Camera. I stopped in, and we looked...
  17. lgerold

new to kalkwasser

Hi! I got brave (or dumb again) this weekend. You may remember that my tank has a hard time with PH. I've been frustrated because I haven't been consistently able to get my ph above 7.7 to 7.8. We've got a new canopy, with lots of ventilation. A powerhead points to the surface to increase...
  18. lgerold

time for a new camera

Yep, I read the thread about buying a new camera, but the thread is pretty old. I'm pretty ignorant about the fancy terms etc, that are involved when you research the individual cameras. I spent several hours today trying to figure out what to buy.:columbo: And, most of the information I...
  19. lgerold

Drool over this one!

Oh My Gosh. This is gorgeous! I'd have to break my kids' piggy banks to get this one if I had room! http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Detail.aspx?ID=5262 Looks like a wonderful birthday present or a present for Santa to bring. Any spouse's checking in?:bday1: Lucy
  20. lgerold

Movin' on up from a 125 to 220 gallon tank. I'd love suggestions!

Hey! We've decided that our 125 (long) is just not enough. It's too shallow, and the stand that we purchased with it (used tank and stand) is too short, so we have decided to take the plunge and buy a new tank. It sure will be nice to get the refugium under the tank, and have a nice stand to...