Search results

1. V

Aptasia? Is this brittle star bad?

Hi all, I was looking to see if somebody could help me id two things. Is this aptasia, the red/brownish red or is it a coral? Additionally are these brittle star bad for my tank. They are very small under an inch maybe even under and 1/2 inch, and they appear to be brittle fish to me. They came...
  2. V

Thinking about a new salt choice

I've been using Instant Ocean reef crystals for years but I'm looking to make a change. Nothing bad is going on in regards to chemistry but I'm getting low, and thought I might try a new brand. I've used seachem and red sea in the past and have landed back at reef crystals. I have access to...
  3. V

Getting rid/keeping at bay tube worms

A couple months ago I recently swapped out all of my rock for new rock and thought I might have gotten rid of the tube worm problem that I had before, but it's back with a vengeance. Not that they are a problem, but they multiple rapidly and make sharp rubes that stuck into your hands should you...
  4. V

AI Prime 16 HD Lighting Settings

Does anyone have a good lighting setting and schedule for the newer AI prime 16 HD? I have several softies and and Zoanthids. All Zoanthids have closed up. I have reduced both the schedule and the intensities of all channels... to no avail. Could you relay your schedule and reach channel...
  5. V

HELP! Silicone for aquarim

If memory serves me correctly, GE Silicone I is ok to use on the aquarium, correct? As long as it doesn't have any that antimicrobial additive in the silicone it should be just fine. Obviously I have to read the back of the instructions but I seem to remember it take me 7 days to cure as well...
  6. V

HELP! Bulkheads: gasket and hole questions

I have drilled holes for 2 x 1/2 inch bulkheads as well as 1 hole for my new overflow box. The overflow box brand is Eshopps Eclipse M, and I'm using 2 schedule 80 bulkheads from BRS. 1. Do I need to do anything more to the holes once they're drilled, as I noticed the holes in some areas could...
  7. V

HELP! LA: Anyone selling a 40 breeder?

While I wait for the local pet store to do the dollar for gallon sale this coming July, I thought I'd check here first to see if anybody in Los Angeles had a 40-gallon breeder for sale. I'm looking for the tank size that's 36 1/4" in length.
  8. V

Rust color algae problem

I've tried numerous things to get rid of this rust colored algae on the white sand. I've done practically complete water changes several times. I've changed every filter in my Rodi unit. I've changed filters all together. I've reduced lighting. I've reduced the how much I'm feeding the fish...
  9. V

Favorite phosphate test kit

I'm in the market for a new phosphate test kit. I wanted to get a feel for what people are currently using. The Hanna kit crossed my mind but after reading reviews, i noticed a lot of people complaining about the pain of getting all of the regent into the tube. Is that your experience to? What's...
  10. V

Removing cyano or comparative algae

I'm having, now a long standing issue with dark orange , more like brown, algae. Attached are 2 photos. To combat this, I'm feeding less, changed the substrate (!!@!), and doing water changes. I've also purchased a different brand of carbon, which I now have two bags from the 2 different...
  11. V

Fine to medium pink sand or argonite recommendation request

I'm looking to remove my current course gravel-like sand for a pink sand. I'm going to put down a very light or thin bed of sand unlike what I have now which is 40 lbs of sand in a 37 gallon aquarium. Can you recommend a fine to medium grain sand or Aragonite? I plan on getting 20lbs only. I'd...
  12. V

LED single unit recommendation for prime day

Prime day is tomorrow and I'm looking to pick up a new LED single module lighting unit. Below are the dimensions of the tank and livestock. 30" wide 20" tall/to the sand 12" deep 37 gallons currently has old LED unit over it with two timers that control daytime and nighttime light arrays. I...
  13. V

Left my bucket of salt open - doh!

So I made that classic mistake of leaving a bucket of salt open for a day. The salt has gotten hard from absorbing the moisture from the air. Does anybody have any advice as to how to scrape, chip away, or make it easier to continue to use it. Many thanks in advance. While scraping away with my...
  14. V

OT: David Attenborough, best naturalist narrator?

My vote is yes. I love watching his films and mini series that he narrates. What do you think?
  15. V

Chillin like a villain

My emerald crab saying hello from under a coral. I was given this coral a few years back when somebody was moving but I'm not quite sure what kind of coral it is. Every once in awhile there are polyp extensions but they're very few and far between. Maybe you guys know what kind of coral this is?
  16. V

Candy canes aren't inflated

My candy cane coral was given to me a couple of months ago and never have looked inflated. I saw someone else's and the green part looks plump and almost translucent while mine look more woody. Any suggestions?
  17. V

macro that angels and crabs won't eat

I am long for a macro like shaving brush to reduce nitrates and that my angels and crabs won't eat. Is that good or is there another one or two that would work? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=490+1478&pcatid=1478 37 gallon, LEDs, fish and coral
  18. V

Any west la reefers out there?

Anyone located on the west side of los Angeles? Looking for some local people to talk shop 37 gallon, LEDs, fish and coral
  19. V

Snail laying eggs spawning

I forgot what kind of snail this is at the moment but I walked by the tank and saw a smoke screen going 37 gallon, LEDs, fish and coral
  20. V

Westside LA meetup

Does anyone out there in westside loS Angeles know about a club or a meetup thats close? Everything seems to be out in the valley or in long beach. I'd love to meet some locals that can get together once a month to talk about the hobby 37 gallon, LEDs, fish and coral