Search results

1. AJK

Yikes ! Tank sand solid brown

Hello friends, last week I purchased 40 lbs of live rock from an established tank, placed in mine with yellow tang. My pure white sand, has now turned solid brown !!! Research states diatom. It's everywhere in tank. Other then water changes, what can I do to alleviate this problem ? I've...
  2. AJK

Canister filteration

Hi, I have a fluval external canister filter, I used on my 120 freshwater tank. Now, I would like to use on my 55 gal tank. What type of filteration media, should I put into the trays ? I already have a carbon sock. Thanx for suggestions :)
  3. AJK

Identify worm

Hi friends, I had a few worms crawling around on top of sand, can someone identify for me. Sorry about pic quality, may try to get a more clear shots, if no one can identify, if I see another one. I zapped 6 of em out of the tank with turkey baster. Thanx :)
  4. AJK

Help ! Green algae out of control

Hi friends, I have an established fish only/live rock tank, going on 2 yrs, recently tank began to develop green algae. I water change, etc.... the more I clean the algae off tank glass, more grows, I'm cleaning green algae daily now. Several lfs, wasn't much help. Fish are doing well, just...
  5. AJK

Aquarium silicone sealant

Trying to put a sump together, bought some aquarium sealant from LFS (expensive), I used 1.5oz on one baffle !! Need alot more, I did some research, many hobbyist state they use Home depot/Lowe's brand 100% silicone, clear, non toxic. Well, I called home depot, they state all of thier 100%...
  6. AJK

Atlantic Condylactis Anemone

Hello, how difficult is it to maintain a Condylactis anomone? Really wanted to get one earlier this evening. Does it do well with clownfish/bluetail damsel? I have an established 19 month old 20 gal. Thanks for any feedback.
  7. AJK

Skimmer and sump function

I was thinking, skimmer will intake water from overflow compartment, skim, then return water back to the same compartment, before the fuge. So, skimmer will continously intake water from skimmer out, mixed with overflow. Hope I'm not confusing anyone. So, I want to do is, extend the overflow...
  8. AJK

20 gal tank overflow to sump

Hi friends, Getting ready to build a sump, but confused on overflow. I have seen several different methods, from pvc siphon to cpr,. I have no idea what to do for overflow on 20 gal tank. I was thinking of using an old whisper 30 filter, drill a hole at the bottom, add a bulkhead. Water...
  9. AJK

Can someone help me build a sump

Hi friends, I would like to build a 10 gal sump for my 20 & 30 gal tanks. I've looked at many videos, pictures and read many websites, only left to be completely confused. I need diagrams, I'm a visual person. It's difficult for me to read something and build, opposed to pictoral...
  10. AJK

Kenya tree won't stay put

Hi friends, Ding dong me, pulled a mildly attached Kenya tree off a rock, now no matter where I place the Kenya tree, it falls over. I called lfs for some gel glue, was told to use rubber band to mount on small rock. She said gel glue won't work on soft corals, gave reasons. I watched...
  11. AJK

Budget refractometer

Hi, I've spent alot of $$$$, is there a refractometer I can purchase, that's better then a hydrometer, that doesn't cost alot ? All suggestions welcome. I found some on Ebay, for $19.50,. Has anyone used these ? You can also PM me. Salinity Refractometer 0~10% Salt Water Marine...
  12. AJK

Research and purchase equipment first - Mistakes to avoid

Hello friends, I am admitting to my mistakes, trying to do everything my way. First off, I should have researched and purchased all equipment first, now my #1 rule. Running to the LFS for this and that is very stressful, time consuming and expensive. I began with tapwater and prime...
  13. AJK

Salinity not increasing - Mistake #2

Hi friends, For the past 2 weeks, my tank salinity is not increasing. Been adding saltwater for top off the past 2 weeks. Today, I check salinity of tank, it's still at 1.019 Checked with CoralLife and Kent hyrdrometers, they both say the same thing. I mixed a bucket of saltwater last...
  14. AJK

20 Gal FOWLR journey

Hello friends, My first fowlr tank began approx 2 months ago. Alot has changed over the past few weeks, I began with a 26 gal bowfront (tapwater), then transferred everything to 20 gal high, so far all is going well. Now, I have 2 damsels, a feather duster, kenya tree, mushroom polyps and...
  15. AJK

Transferring fowlr tank - Live sand transfer or new ?

Hi, I would like to transfer fowlr tank from bowfront to rectrangle, I was wondering if I can transfer sand that is in existing tank or should I start with new sand ? I began existing tank in May 2011,. Sand is fairly new. Thanks
  16. AJK

Will glass desk hold fish tanks

Hi, I bought a 20 gal tank today, unfortunately LFS do not have any stands priced at under $100.00,. I have a glass computer desk, not using. The glass is approx 1/4" thick,. Desk glass measures, 35 x 24,. I was thinking of placing thick wood between glass and tank, think it will work ...
  17. AJK

I went to fast - lessoned learned

Hi fish friends, My damsel is still doing fine. But, I did a lot of reading over the weekend on the importance of live sand/rock. I had no idea how important live rock is !! And the reason, live rock should be cured/cycled, with daily water test to track progress. All I thought was...
  18. AJK

My 26 gal bowfront with Damsel

Hi, It's very difficult to take pictures of fish tank using flash. Will post better qaulity pics in future, once I figure out how to take em. My first fowlr tank in progress :)
  19. AJK

Amazing damsel still living ! 2 week tank cycle

I started my tank, all the wrong way's, tap water, water temp going up/down (heaters), toss sand in tank turning it milky, cycled 2 weeks, being the impatient person I am, I bought a blue damsel monday afternoon, along with some hermit crabs. Told LFS if fish dies, I know tank is not cycled...
  20. AJK

Something growing on live rock id

Hi, Is there a guide, with images newbies can view of various objects growing on rocks and what they are ?? I discovered yellow object on one of my rocks today, don't know if good or bad, but I was thrilled to see something growing on rock :) But, if anyone knows what this is, or...