Search results

1. J

Hitchhiker or flower on this plant?

Thanks It is in my sump Will take it out now
  2. J

Optical water level sensor for use with Apex Aquacontroller?

I have an Apex Aquacontroller and would like to use it to control my auto top off. I have a 120V electric solenoid valve which I can open and close using the Aqua Controller. My RO water is stored in a 35 gallon tank and gravity fed to my sump. I would like to find a optical water level sensor...
  3. J

Chromis devoured by another fish?

No Just a couple of red cleaner shrimp
  4. J

First thing I checked was ammonia level and it has remained at zero. 150 gallon DT. Would one dead fish spike the ammonia?
  5. J

Could a 2" tang completely devour a 1" chromis overnight? I used to have 3 chromis in my tank. I witnessed one being nipped at by my tang to the point where he lost the ability to swim and I had to take him out and euthanize him. I never noticed the tang nip at any other fish. But I...
  6. J

Would a hot tub/spa heater work to heat an aquarium?

Thanks for your input. I would definitely supply power to the unit through my controller, resulting in redundant thermostats, and thus hope to prevent boiled fish. I was hoping that the 1500 watts would just mean that the heating element wouldnt have to work so hard. My two 250 watt heaters...
  7. J

Would a hot tub/spa heater work to heat an aquarium?

I have been looking for a better way to heat my 150 gallon reef tank and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a hot tub/spa heater. The largest inline heater I have seen is only 300 watts and would only heat an 80 gallon tank. I currently have two 250 watt heaters in my sump. They...
  8. J

Dealing with aggressive clown fish.. Will solitary confinement work?

Jedi My first attempt, I took both black clowns out of the DT for about a month. I put the smaller black clown back in first, and he seemed to get along. When I put the bigger black clown back in, they both started bullying the orange clowns again. I just got the bigger black clown out...
  9. J

UPDATE The big black clowfish hasn't figured out that "Nemo" is supposed to be the star of the tank and that I don't like it when he keeps him confined to a cave in the rock formation. So the "bully" is headed back to the LFS today. Lesson learned: Once a bully, always a bully. Solitary...
  10. J

UPDATE I took both black clowns out of the tank and put them in solitary in the sump. After three weeks I returned the smaller black clown back into the DT. (One of the black clowns is bigger than the other three). The two orange clowns, who had been hanging out together again and swimming...
  11. J

Is this a normal brown algea that will go away as tank matures?

This brown "furry" algea is covering much of the rock in my tank. I have been doing 15-20% water changes once a week, keeping my nitrates below 5. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of it?
  12. J

I have 2 pair of clown fish (one pair of black and one pair of orange) in my 150 gallon reef tank which were introduced at the same time. I also have 3 chromis, a yellow and blue tang, a diamond goby and cleaning shrimp. Everyone gets along except ...... The black clowns have turned into...
  13. J

Fireman Jim's first 150 gallon reef tank

This is the latest addition to my tank. His name is Crush of course. OK It's really the sea turtle that was sitting next to me while having dinner at the Coral Reef restaurant in Epcot at Disney World. Went down for another wedding planning trip. My son (who is the one getting married)...
  14. J

I think my salinity was too high and that caused my fish to get "itchy"!! It was almost 1.03. I was afraid I had "ick", but after getting the salinity back down near 1.022, my yellow tang is looking much better.
  15. J

Worried about my yellow tang. He has been rubbing up against rocks and the sand bed and this morning it appears he has damaged the front of his anal (bottom) fin. Here is a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhJbyF_firo Any ideas what could be wrong?
  16. J

Red Sea Monster 2000L+ in-Wall System

I am kind of upset with Juans hospital tank setup. I thought that was where a bed could go when we visit Guatemala and stay at "Juans Fish Hotel".
  17. J

My Blue Hippo Tang is full of sh*t !! For the last 3-4 hours my Blue Tang keeps pooping 1" long trails of poop which eventually fall off. He is eating green hair algae floating in the water like spaghetti. He starts at one end and chomps away until he finishes 2" long pieces of hair algea...
  18. J

Cleanup Crew Online Ordering

Haileybop I ordered my CUC from reefcleaners and was very happy. I put them in just after I got my first fish. (My fish didnt seem to eat any food that dropped all the way to the sand, so the CUC does). I have a 150 gallon display tank. The "quick crew" reefcleaners recommend for a 150 DT...
  19. J

Hurricane Irene headed my way...

I live on Cape Cod, MA. I just spent $800 for a generator at Home Depot. I am hoping it can stay in the box and I can return it next week !!