Search results

1. DBrinson

Sea Swirls in Action! (finally with video)

I have been meaning to make a video of my Sea Swirls for some time, but never really got around to it. Ever since I lost a Heteractis Magnifica to the intake of a powerhead a decade ago, I've been of the opinion that "powerheads" are for mixing salt, not for stirring my tank. Not a dead...
  2. DBrinson

Rethinking standard approaches to lighting and current - Meet the WTD ratio

That being said, I can say that most approaches to lighting and current I disagree with on a very fundamental level. I know aquarists tend to look at flow in terms of GPH and lighting in terms of Watts/gallon. The main trap we fall into is, that for convenience's sake we tend to cram...
  3. DBrinson

La Da Dee .... Laaa Daaaahhhhh

I didn't believe in UFO's. (Even though I live near Gulf Breeze, FL) But today at the lighting of my first "open top" aquarium ever ... the residents of my house fled into the broad daylight ... in Florida ... on a clear day ... at noon .... Because it was too bright indoors. Any...
  4. DBrinson

Turtle Grass self-collection in FL - The Future of reefkeeping and the environment

My biggest disappointment when I came back into this hobby after 6 years of pity-partying was that the value of seagrass tanks had yet to be discovered. Anyone in driving distance of the Pensacola area please PM me if you want to try seagrass collection/cultivation, I'd be glad to help you get...
  5. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

So I picked myself up after 6 years of sobbing over the loss of my last tank, that Poseidon himself felt so threatened by, he sent Hurricane Ivan to destroy my house, releasing the inhabitants of my ocean into his. I do not even have any photos or video of the tank, so complete was his wrath...
  6. DBrinson

Returning to the game

Long time aquarist, dating back to the mid 80's, watched the evolution of undergravels, wet/drys, live rock, MH lighting, reef tanks, skimming, and wavemakers. My last tank incorporated an inline seagrass bed and produced coralline growth while carrying an extravagant bioload that should never...