Search results

1. DBrinson

Sea Swirls in Action! (finally with video)

I have been meaning to make a video of my Sea Swirls for some time, but never really got around to it. Ever since I lost a Heteractis Magnifica to the intake of a powerhead a decade ago, I've been of the opinion that "powerheads" are for mixing salt, not for stirring my tank. Not a dead...
  2. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Here's a belated update ... (click the image to expand) In case you were wondering, the answer is: Yes. I'm a part-time scuba diver trying to keep the Xenia trimmed ... I do not know how long I can keep it from growing out the top of the tank. I had to literally scrub Xenia polyps...
  3. DBrinson

What test kit do you prefer

Hach for the basics, LaMotte for the tricky ones like Calcium/Hardness and Phosphates. LaMotte test kits just to be clear, not the gadget Frankie found. Frankie does that come with Onstar? :oh: Of the test kits in the poll I'd go with Salifert.
  4. DBrinson

May 2011 POTM Contest!

I had the best results with 600x450, thanks for the tip! Was getting it uploaded ok, but it was downsampling the photo to a grainy 600 pixel width.
  5. DBrinson

May 2011 POTM Contest!

Here's "Barry"! (My overfed zebra moray eel) He's the king of the rockwork, gentle as he can be ... Maybe it's his winning personality that helps him persuade my other fish to swim in the open water where we can see them better ... heh heh
  6. DBrinson

Turtle Grass self-collection in FL - The Future of reefkeeping and the environment

Re: Turtle Grass self-collection in FL - The Future of reefkeeping and the environmen Not "cleaned up" per se, but here's a shot I took in the only aperture between my equipment that will allow a tripod shot. Here is a picture of what it looked like 5 months before: Note that I...
  7. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Here's the latest FTS, can you find the eel in this picture? Notice the small rock formation in the foreground, if I ever land a nice Stych. Gigantea that will be his home. OK. So Barry is ... fat. So if you see him don't say it "out loud" or even I won't stick my hands in the tank...
  8. DBrinson

Big Al's "Mountain Reef"

Awesome Al. Way to hang in there. Can't keep a good reefer down ... :thumbup:
  9. DBrinson

Man steals corals from LFS

Can't be too hard on the shop owner, he did at least have two different cameras on the tank. And he got free publicity out of it. Did anyone else cringe more at the way the perp mistreated the corals than the fact he stole them? I know I did, I actually can't stop worrying about the corals...
  10. DBrinson

Turtle Grass self-collection in FL - The Future of reefkeeping and the environment

Re: Turtle Grass self-collection in FL - The Future of reefkeeping and the environmen It is currently a bit overgrown with filamentous red algae though the grass is growing through it, I have been slow to "clean" the algae from the blades because I didn't want to disturb the plants' root...
  11. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Well, it's been a long time since I posted here, I got really busy a couple of months ago but thankfully my tank had stabilized nicely by then. Here is a link to my Apex data on Reeftronics.net if anyone wants to see my "levels". Corals, clams, fish doing very well. My SPS corals have been...
  12. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Nice link! He could very well be, he looks like a member of the Trapezia genus from looking at that guide. (and that he was very attached to his pocillopora coral.) He was observed eating the Pocillopora from the bottom up, which I could live with in moderation. Normally dark tipped claws...
  13. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Hitchhiker alert!! Looks to me like a Xanthid crab, black eyes, black pincers, oval body shape. He was chowing down on a Pocillopora, when I was finishing up my aquascaping last night I found him clinging to it. Here he is in a SOLO cup: I moved him to my seagrass bed, not only for...
  14. DBrinson

Killing Aiptasia with electricity

Chinese legal system is great too, they might just zap him with it ... then send his family a bill for the electricity consumed. ;)
  15. DBrinson

BigAl's slow chronicle . . .

Al, that's great news. Man, I am in the Southeast and the weather is beautiful, but even if you were my godfather and lived next door, I still wouldn't help you move it. Sorry but reading all these helpful posts has compelled me to come clean. I got lots of respect for what you are...
  16. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Update on Barry ... he loves sea scallops. (from the supermarket) Here's a couple photos of my wife feeding him with a stick: He gets along just fine with the cleaner shrimp, of course he gets a full body massage day and night.
  17. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Thanks Val! The corals, clams, and rock were moved in together from an established tank, so I can't take all the credit for the quick results. It has been a pretty desperate task to get it all moved over. I haven't lost a fish yet, and aside from the corals I didn't keep, (in particular one...
  18. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Thanks Mack, Juan! Here's what it looks like this morning ... I will spare you all by not posting any pics of what I look like :drool::stars:
  19. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Here's a few "halfway there" FTS's: I have 1/3 of the corals and another 80 lbs of rock still in styrofoam coolers, will post pice tomorrow once it's closer to "final form".
  20. DBrinson

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

Hach has been around for 60 years, but maybe. I remember using Tetra test kits 25 years ago, it was the only kind available in my LFS then. They had a little cylinder test tube you had to look down through and match to color circles on paper as I recall.