Search results

1. L

Help: Fish swimming erractically

I don't have a seperate tank for QT that's why I hang most of the new fish on the side of the tank to make sure they are eating properly prior releasing them. So far none of them behave like this fish, except the yellow tang that sometimes chases his own reflection. He keeps swimming up and...
  2. L

I had him hanging in a DIY box on the side of the tank for 2 days to make sure he's eating before releasing him out last night. So all up 3 days.
  3. L

Hi. I just introduced a Flame Hawkfish last night and he is pacing up and down the corner of the tank all night long :dunno: Just looking at him makes me dizzy. He is eating though except the erractic swimming behaviour. Anyone got any idea why he does that? None of my fish do that when I...
  4. L

sad anemones

Hmm my anemone does that sometimes and apparently it is normal. It just curled up into a ball right?
  5. L

Clownfish won't go near anemone... Is anemone splitting?

Hi guys, I got a pair of clownfish and an anemone for a bout 2 weeks now. I introduced them together in a bucket and they host almost instantly. For 2 weeks, the clownfish won't leave the anemone unless it is feeding time. They even slept inside the anemone. This morning I saw the 2...
  6. L

Canister filter -- what media should I be using

I just started my 30g tank 3 months now. I'm using a canister filter for now and like you will eventually move to sump once I get the material to made one myself =] I'm having difficulty getting my nitrate down to 0 as well. It always seem to be around 5-10ppm despite 10-15% weekly water...
  7. L

What happened to the bacteria once you get 0 readings

Yeh my nitrate was pretty high, around 40pmm... I did the 90% water change and test it again today and it is sitting between 5-10ppm, a significant drop! However, my pH sits around 7.8 for some reason. Is there a way I can get pH up to 8.2-8.3 beside using a buffer?
  8. L

Ok my tank has finally cycled!!! Yayyyyyyyyyy.... my patience paid off, thanks guys. My ammonia and nitrite readings are zero while my nitrate is around 40. I did a 90% water change today and did some aquascaping. The only problem now is removing the debris out of the sand as my rocks are...
  9. L

high nitrates after six weeks

I'm new to this hobby like you. My tank is still in the cycling stage at the moment. But from what i've been reading, your tank has been cycled. So the only way to get the nitrates down is to do big water change. I leave the better advice to the expert =D
  10. L

Re: Just exactly what is a 'cycled' tank OK so you add fish once the tank is cycled. But from readings within other posts, I thought you should add this in order of priority: 1) clean up crews 2) Invertebrates 3) Corals 4) Fish If I went with that order it would be at least a month...
  11. L

After 1 Wk: High Ammonia.. No Nitrite/Nitrate

I've have nitrite finally!!! Was testing it for the past few days.. it is hovering around 1.0 and nitrate also go up to 10. But ammonia haven't comes down at all (still 8+). Think it need at least another week or more to comes down. So when my tank is cycled, I can take my filter pad out and...
  12. L

Re: Just exactly what is a 'cycled' tank What happened to the bacteria once you get 0 readings for ammonia and nitrite? If you don't introduce fish to produce waste, would the bacteria just die off due to the lack of food supply?
  13. L

It just a bit frustrating not seeing the nitrite. I have some corals in there and teracotta/orange color rocks (probably from algae) that is probably dying from the high ammonia level as it is slowly covered in a white coating :cry1: But yeh not gonna add any chemical or even bacteria and just...
  14. L

Ok i'll be patience and wait. Thanks nanoreefing4fun. I'll take your advice and stop adding any chemicals.
  15. L

AlphaSierras - A Reef in the Sky

Totally speechless....
  16. L

I use Safe - a concentrated version of Prime when mixing my water. Err are we on the same page here? I thought it suppose to be from ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate. I could try to lower my ammonia level down but I thought I need ammonia for the bacteria to turn it into nitrite.
  17. L

OK my cloudy water has clear up significantly, probably around 80% and also the rotten smell has gone. I tested for ammonia and nitrite/nitrate and the readings didn't change at all :confused: :confused: Still high ammonia and no nitrite. Can I still do water changes, take the rock out and give...
  18. L

Thanks for the fast reply and advice guys. I will be patience and wait for another week.
  19. L

HI everyone I need some help :help1: Started cycling my 29/30g tank last week with 20kg uncured live rock. Now here's the problem: I failed to preclean the rock!!! There has been a lot of die off, causing the tank to becomes cloudy since day 2. Ammonia has been off the roof 8+ppm (8 was the...