Search results

1. DesertOrchid

Strawberry Creme Acan

I named it myself... isn't it pretty?!!! I got this from Jared a few months back and it is growing like crazy. Center of Acan garden. These also came from Jared at MyReeftoYours.
  2. DesertOrchid

Inland Reef.... awesome !!

Awesome video of an inland reef in Australia at low tide. Huge clams above water level etc. Amazing the resilience of these sea creatures.... enjoy!! Destination Reefs: Montgomery Reef, Australia — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
  3. DesertOrchid

It's ALIVE!!!!

Lost my 2 spot tail blenny a few weeks ago and blamed it on the brittle starfish.... today found it in my canister filter. ALIVE and well! I was so psyched :woohoo: Just had to share the good news!!
  4. DesertOrchid

Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year everyone!! Hope the new year is a healthy and blessed one for you and yours! And your tanks too! :hallo:
  5. DesertOrchid

Fish Eating Brittle star....

Has any one had problems with larger brittle stars eating their smaller fish such asclown gobies, firefish and small chromis?? I captured one of the 2 that are in my 72 gal bowfront reef and will eventually get the other one into quarantine. Then try again with the smaller fish. I've lost a 3...
  6. DesertOrchid

Getting new corals from My Reef to Yours!

Just placed my first order with JJ at My Reef to Yours. Looking forward to sharing some pics when they get here on Wednesday. Early Christmas for me! Great communications and Awesomely fast shipping!
  7. DesertOrchid

Duncan reproduction question

Bought a 1 head duncan a few weeks ago. Very healthy and expands well. Was just wondering how they develop new polyps.... Is it a bud from the side of the existing up close to the current polyp or do they start a new stem. I'm asking this as the frag I have has colored tissue up the entire stem...
  8. DesertOrchid

Problem with Reef Crystal by Instant Ocean

Just wondering if anyone has recently had issues with Reef Crystals by Instant Ocean??? The only thing I can associate the problem in my tank with is the salt mix... I did a water change in both of my reef tanks and the monitipora's acted very stressed with areas of slightly white skeleton...
  9. DesertOrchid

Wave maker on...... Angels DEAD! What's up with THAT!?!

Just found my flame angel DEAD and what remains of the Cherub.... DEAD! BOTH DEAD!! I installed the new Hydor 1050 pumps and a wavemaker yesterday. Only new thing :tears::cry1:with the tank. All the other fish are fine... tangs, chromis, lawnmower blenny and gobies. Any one have any idea?? I am...
  10. DesertOrchid

Beautiful 72 Bowfront

It is finally here and sitting so quiet and empty in it's new home......my living room where I can soon enjoy watching the fish swim, the corals grow and the xenia sway while every one else in the family is watching reruns! I've taken a few pictures and will post them soon. In the next few days...
  11. DesertOrchid

Opinions on Bowfront tank versus rectangular 90

Time to buy a new tank and I have a few questions to my fellow fishy friends.... I'm looking at a 72 gal bowfront or a 90 gal rectangular glass tank to put in my living room. I'm going to put soft corals in this one... the 125 reef is set up in a wall build in another room and I just don't get...
  12. DesertOrchid

Photos of Nudibranchs

I came across this site of photos of many different kinds of nudibranchs. Absolutely stunning! Enjoy..... Nudibranchs—Photo Gallery—National Geographic Magazine Be sure to view the video on this page also. It is well worth it! The link is in the by line above the photo box.
  13. DesertOrchid

Pink Nudibranch - Is this one a BAD guy??

Found this critter cruising the live rock this morning. Never seen one before. It is a very pale pink with fine feathery projections all around the edge. Recently added a couple of corals ( sarchophyton, xenia and a stylophora) that were all attached to live rock with lots of holes. It is...
  14. DesertOrchid

Hello from Wyoming

Hello Everyone! Here on the high plains desert of Wyoming there isn't much interest in reefs or fish unless it is on the table for dinner.. aka the elusive trout so I thought I'd try out this forum to chat with other reefers. I've been keeping fish for over 34 years, started out with a few...