Search results

1. DesertOrchid

Surface Oily HELP!!

When I get a little too exuburant feeding frozen or other foods besides flakes there is a more noticeable film on the surface. I do not have an overflow on this tank either. Instead of paper towel I use a piece of the blue bond filter floss from Drs. Foster Smith. Cut it to the width of the tank...
  2. DesertOrchid

White unidentified object in water column

Maybe sloughing tissue from a toadstool or gorgonian?
  3. DesertOrchid

hammer coral help

I have both kinds and the hammer is the more aggressive of the two. In another tank I have a garden of euphyllias - frogspawn, torch and hammer all within reaching distance and they all do well together. However..... putting any of them near mushrooms doesn't work as the mushrooms actually...
  4. DesertOrchid

Is my hermit crab dead?

Does it have some kind of shell on it's body? You mentioned that it had wedged itself into some rocks. Perhaps if it is shelled it has gotten caught and might need a little help out. If it doesn't have a shell on chances are it has probably died.
  5. DesertOrchid

October TOTM!

Beautiful tank! Congrats on the TOTM !! Well deserved.
  6. DesertOrchid

Free red grape/red gracilaria macroalgae

Hey Tektite... I did send pics so I will dare to ask if you are selling your gorgeous macros? Would like to buy some for my nano. Thanks!
  7. DesertOrchid

LFS or Online Fish Store?

I live in a remote part of Wyoming with LFS 250+ miles away so I do order from Liveaquaria quite frequently. Have always had wonderful fish shipped to me whether it was a Diver's den or just from the general 'menu.' The fish always arrive healthy and disease free ( knock on wood). No LFS...
  8. DesertOrchid

vote now for the NAME THIS ZOA contest!

It's been a long while since I've had the time to hang out here on the forum........ hmmm......seems nuthins changed. LOL!
  9. DesertOrchid

Strange crab type critter

Crabs can come in on your corals as tiny stow aways. Especially on sps. Even dipping the coral does not get rid of them ( experience speaking here) They Look harmless and cute but grow up to generally be a menace if they are not the 'right stuff.' Good luck in catching the little character. I...
  10. DesertOrchid

Like? RS? Then Like Us!

Liked it awhile ago....here too!
  11. DesertOrchid

Coral Beauty Help

Totally agree with DaveK! Great advice! Dwarf angels are a crap shoot when it come to reef safe or not no matter what the LFS say. Truly depends on the individual fish and definitely have a plan B in the works AND the ability to catch the little bugger if it becomes a problem. I had a flame...
  12. DesertOrchid

The Myreeftoyours fan club

Oh you will be! No doubts!
  13. DesertOrchid

Devons Reef 125

Sorry to hear about your fishy friend. Always so sad to have them die and that ammonia burn buisness sounds odd for only 50 total minutes in the bag.
  14. DesertOrchid

My Easy Water Change

Oh My Gosh that's hilarious... sorry had to laugh out loud. I know what ya mean though sometimes I wonder if the hubby wishes we'd kept the horses instead of buying yet another tank. I do pay the bills and do the cooking too so I know my fish budget is safe. :snshne:
  15. DesertOrchid

Mikes 120 gal reef ready build

Nice clowns. The top one looks like it has a silhouette(sp?) of a shark on it's side in the white pattern.... that's really fun. Enjoy your new fish!
  16. DesertOrchid

Missing Yellow Tang, Blood Fire Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

Sounds like it is time to add some fish!
  17. DesertOrchid

Water change story thread!

I'm lucky enough to have pristine well water so I don't have to mess with RODI water overflows but spent years hauling sw in 5 gal buckets for water changes till I decided to get smart and bought two 22 gal rubbermaid containers. The first was used for fresh mixed sw... used 2 powerheads for the...
  18. DesertOrchid

Don't buy from Aquacon.com

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the above mentioned vendor. Many on this forum have commented in a positive way about the following vendors and for several years I've used Liveaquaria.com with EXCELLENT results for all my fish, invertebrates and larger coral colonies with...
  19. DesertOrchid

can you ID this SPS

Nice to know! Thanks Matt! My turbinaria turned a rusty orange then back to yellow when the nitrates elevated. Sticks are cool! *L*
  20. DesertOrchid

can you ID this SPS

Might be a turbinara since you say it is yellowish. Shape looks like a digitata though. +1 Matt^^