Search results

1. Bathtub

quite advanced Tunze skimmer Mod

I thought I would feed back on quite an advanced Tunze skimmer Mod I have been running the last few months.... Those of you that know me know I am skimmer mad and a tinkerer.... so... I had tried the Nanoreef skimmer - which I would have loved but the microbubbles were unbearable- but I love...
  2. Bathtub

Ultralife RED SLIME remover - Cyano Algae killer

Just thought I would drop in to recommend a product I used this week guys. I introduced some new sand to the bed in the tank and BOOM- cyano everywhere (water quality it's usual tip top self- the fluidised reactor with biobeads still amazes me at getting zero nitrate and phosphate reading, but I...
  3. Bathtub

Perefect parameters? Equipment in a 130

Yep- I am still getting amazing results with respect to water clarity and how nasty my skimmate seems to be versus no ozone. In terms of safety I still have no ozone smell from skimmer cup at all- so the dosing levels are really low- I am again surprised how effective it has been. I have...
  4. Bathtub

Also you will need to open your valve quite a lot wider than before - as the extra tubing now means increased resistance to the flow of the air, but once you find the new sweetspot it will be fine.
  5. Bathtub

Does anyone elses skimmer gate get clogged up?

I have red turf algea- toothbrush just will not cut it- so dedicated fish tank wire scrubber for me, though sometimes my sea hare gets in there and helps (though he's so big now he blocks the gate off himself)
  6. Bathtub

Return pump replacement options?

I just used a penknife (leatherman) blade. the black bits have just a slight bit of cyano gluing them in, so they will suddenly "give" and just come out easy...
  7. Bathtub

Damn you vortech! (no blame on the pump)

Damn thats bad luck! To be on the safe side I swapped my activated carbon straight out for a fresh batch... just in case (can't do any harm right!)
  8. Bathtub

My Tunze skimmer isn't skimming anything.

Any joy yet? If not please repost so the gurus can think about it? I am eager to know if you found the issue
  9. Bathtub

Does anyone elses skimmer gate get clogged up?

I get red turf algea clogging mine all the time... I have a fish tank only wire scour I use to clean it off about 1x a month
  10. Bathtub

Q: How to mount Eheim compact 600 in rsm 130?

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/62818-return-pump-replacement-options-3.html#post866145 Here's a link to the mod with pictures- any problems just pm me! Roy
  11. Bathtub

new frogspawn will be in new tank where there will be quieter places (and 2x 250w HID;s and 8x t5's- gotta love geissman)... then on to the RSM seahorse project .....
  12. Bathtub

After a few month of FINALLY getting my clowns to feel nice and at home in my frogspawn coral- came home tonight to find the frogspawn hanging out of my vortech... No blame on vortech- best kit in tank, (and think coral was fine- just finding ideal location and slipped) just wanted to vent my...
  13. Bathtub

No results on my water testing.

As a point - you are starting to feed the livestock only now, so you will only be seeing the full nitrogen cycle over the next few weeks. Keep a good eye on it, if your nitrates start to rise (I would bet they will) increase your water change, iwoukd do slightly more water change than increasing...
  14. Bathtub

Good point Terry with a potential dosage of 25mg/h I would watch redox more closely... I read that point on biopellets before (as I was running a uv when I installed the fluidized beds). It makes no sense to me at all as the bacteria are sessile, whilst the population level in the water column...
  15. Bathtub

Good points Kay- for sure there will be embrittlement of the plastic regulator regular needle valve I use on my airline. I did a lot of research into this, most skimmers are made of plastics suitable for Ozone (certainly tunze like mine state they are ozone safe)- for a bit more info most of the...
  16. Bathtub

as I use filter floss daily I find that the rate this clogs up is pretty much directly proportional to how effective my bio pellets are working (as my feeding regime is pretty constant). I have certainly seen no drop off in activity (water param readings at flat 0's support this) and the inlet/...
  17. Bathtub

How do I Clean my skimmer cup

Agree with the gurus above, but I like to clean the neck every few days with a bottle brush (dedicated fish tank only use). The protiens/ fats/ gunk that deposit on the neck into the skimmer cup can reduce how effectively the dry foam bubbles carry over into cup (only a bit I admit), but 10...
  18. Bathtub

You nailed what I am seeing exactly, low safe levels, you don't get the same level of sterilization I expect, but water clarity is amazing and there is a very noticeable effect in skimmate quality in my tunze. For the price I am really happy- and truly is plug and play. Anyone wants more info...
  19. Bathtub

Placement of the Vortech MP10 in a RSM130D

Never knock the rock *shudder*
  20. Bathtub

Reef on the edge? Can't keep Xenia, Colt, or Frogspawn

Missed that you had sorted that out then (sorry) in that case I would always just run purigel rather than just a regular carbon in the system somewhere to keep them at zero, but no need for a real phosphate sucker like Sounds like you have done an amazing turn around job- sincere congratulations