Search results

1. steved13

Pods are good!! We knew that!

Tiny Grazers Play Key Role in Marine Ecosystem Health Apr. 2, 2013 — Tiny sea creatures no bigger than a thumbtack are being credited for playing a key role in helping provide healthy habitats for many kinds of seafood, according to a new study by the Virginia Institute of Marine...
  2. steved13

Coral Sunscreen

How the Purple and Pink Sunscreens of Reef Corals WorkJan. 23, 2013 — New research by the University of Southampton has found a mechanism as to how corals use their pink and purple hues as sunscreen to protect them against harmful sunlight. Many reef corals need light to survive, as they...
  3. steved13

Ornamental Fish Industry Faces Increasing Problems With Antibiotic Resistance

Jan. 15, 2013 — The $15 billion ornamental fish industry faces a global problem with antibiotic resistance, a new study concludes, raising concern that treatments for fish diseases may not work when needed -- and creating yet another mechanism for exposing humans to antibiotic-resistant...
  4. steved13

Dolphins give dinner to beach goers

I thought this was worth sharing: While it's already well-known that dolphins rank among the most intelligent creatures on the planet, new research is suggesting that they just might be one of the most magnanimous too. A team of biologists recently published a study examining dozens of...
  5. steved13

Missing Threads and/or posts

I thought this deserved another thread in case anyone missed it.
  6. steved13

Good value in a T5 fixture for a 55 gallon

I've never shopped for a T5 fixture, so I could use a hand. A friend of mine has a 55 gallon and is looking for reef lighting. It will be a mixed reef, some SPS but not dominant, mostly LPS and softies. What are the recomendations for a good T5 fixture that won't break his budget...best value?
  7. steved13

Coral ID please

A friend of mine has this in his tank, he tells me a fisherman netted it and gave it to him. I'm thinking digitata?
  8. steved13

At Least One-Third of Marine Species Remain Undescribed

ScienceDaily (Nov. 15, 2012) — At least one-third of the species that inhabit the world's oceans may remain completely unknown to science. That's despite the fact that more species have been described in the last decade than in any previous one, according to a report published online on...
  9. steved13

Corals Summon Help from Fish

ScienceDaily (Nov. 8, 2012) — Corals under attack by toxic seaweed do what anyone might do when threatened -- they call for help. A study reported this week in the journal Science shows that threatened corals send signals to fish "bodyguards" that quickly respond to trim back the noxious...
  10. steved13

Hermit crabs steal each other's shells? Tell us something we haven't seen.

I know this about terrestrial crabs but still seemed appropriate. ScienceDaily (Oct. 26, 2012) — Social animals usually congregate for protection or mating or to capture bigger prey, but a University of California, Berkeley, biologist has found that the terrestrial hermit crab has a more...
  11. steved13

Genetic Patterns of Deep-Sea Coral Provide Insights Into Evolution of Marine Life

ScienceDaily (Oct. 23, 2012) — The ability of deep-sea corals to harbor a broad array of marine life, including commercially important fish species, make these habitat-forming organisms of immediate interest to conservationists, managers, and scientists. Understanding and protecting corals...
  12. steved13

Great Barrier Reef Loses Half its coral

Thanks to Bigal07 for this one. Australia's Great Barrier Reef has lost more than half its coral cover in the past 27 years due to storms, predatory starfish and bleaching linked to climate change, a study has found.. The research by scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine...
  13. steved13

Google maps under water!

Next to Google Search and YouTube, the search giant's maps product has become a resource on which millions of users have come to rely. This point was driven home recently when some users complained loudly about the omission of Google Maps as the default maps app within iOS 6. Now Google is...
  14. steved13

Now that's a CUC

Thanks to BigAl07 for sharing It's something you have to see to believe. A beach on the island of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands is overtaken by a millions of hermit crabs during the crustacean's mass migration, turning the sandy shore into a sea of clattering shells and legs. Veteran...
  15. steved13

Placement is in their genes?

ScienceDaily (Oct. 16, 2011) — Coral reefs are among the most diverse ecosystems on the planet, second only to tropical rain forests. Bird's nest coral (Seriatopora hystrix) is common throughout the Indo-Pacific and is able to live across a range of depths. However, there is little gene flow...
  16. steved13

Tough little fish!

ScienceDaily (Sep. 1, 2012) — In the deserts of central Australia lives a tough little fish known as the desert goby, and a new study is shedding light on the aggressive mating behaviour of smaller nest-holding males. Published in the PLoS ONE journal this month, a study led by Dr Andreas...
  17. steved13

Feeding the reef.

ScienceDaily (Feb. 26, 2011) — An international scientific team has shown that strong links between the corals reefs of the south China sea, West Pacific and Coral Triangle hold the key to preserving fish and marine resources in the Asia-Pacific region. Research by Dr Johnathan Kool of the...
  18. steved13

Happy Birthday Funlad3!!

Happy Birthday Ben!!! I hope you have a great birthday!!:bday1:
  19. steved13

Splash guards near overflows

I run my drains open so there is quite a waterfall over the surface skimmer. This causes some splashing and misting, which cause some dripping, and salt creep and even a moist carpet. I'm thinking of making some type of splash guard for the corner around the overflow. This a standard black rim...
  20. steved13

Who's reef is tougher?

ScienceDaily (July 12, 2012) — Coral reefs in the Indo-Pacific region, including the Great Barrier Reef, recover faster from major stresses than their Caribbean counterparts, leading marine scientists have said. Dr George Roff and Professor Peter Mumby from the ARC Centre of Excellence for...