Search results

1. Craig Lambert

the quite controversial MANDARIN GOBY

I tried a Mandarin in a 9 month old lightly stocked 75G w/100 lbs LR. The tank was setup with fully cured LR, and I added a derivoire kit from Inland Aquatics. I then added additional pods from copepod.com. The fish lasted about 3 1/2 months. This is the only fish I have ever lost....never again.
  2. Craig Lambert

Has anyone purchased coral from Dr foster and Smith

Since we're talking Drs. Foster & Smith. Every animal you see in the tank is from the good Drs. [/IMG]
  3. Craig Lambert

Magnesium levels of Instant Ocean Sea Salt

IO Salt always tests low for Magnesium. I have used it for years and found that when freshly mixed it usually tests around 1170. I use b-ionic magnesium to raise the level to 1300-1350. The low magnesium is absolutely the cause for your difficulty in raising calcium. Kalk is an excellent product...
  4. Craig Lambert

bleaching monti?

Could be montipora eating nudibrach.....or... Is ther any chance that any salt creep fell on to it. Monti Caps will easily burn from salt creep, but they recover in a couple of weeks.
  5. Craig Lambert

Anemone ?

One of the easiest. They are quite hardy, but as stated earlier, it's too early for you to put one in your tank. Wait until the 6 month mark. If at that time you have excellent water parameters then go ahead. Your tank is so young right now that it will likely have some algae or diatom events...
  6. Craig Lambert

New AquaC EV-180 not skimming after 5 days

I run the same skimmer on a 75G w/the same pump. How far is your gate valve open? Mine is open about 1/2 turn. My air valve is positioned just like yours. My skimmer did the same thing when first purchased. The problem is that the acrylic is coated with oil and it needs time for the saltwater to...
  7. Craig Lambert

i need a good detritovore

A detrivoire kit from http://www.inlandaquatics.com would be a great addition.
  8. Craig Lambert

Need Opinion Quick on Skimmer

For a tank/sump/fuge water capacity of 275G that skimmer is way, way too small to meet your needs imo. That thing would be OK on a 75G tank, but that's about it. The diameter of the neck is far to small to meet the needs of your tank. You should be looking at a really serious skimmer to handle...
  9. Craig Lambert

Ok I need help fast

Can I ask why you would dose Amino Vital? Do you dose a 2 part solution or Kalk? You should never dose anything you can't test for.
  10. Craig Lambert

Bad Ice storms knocking out power....

This is something that I never gave much thought to when I lived in California. Now that I live in the Pacific Northwest it's a different ballgame. We had a 5 hour outage before I set my tank up here, and because of it I bought a gasoline powered generator from Home Depot. It wasn't cheap...
  11. Craig Lambert

Big Scene at the LFS Yesterday

Post deleated. I had not finished the thread and posted info on goniopora. I though it was one based upon the first picture.
  12. Craig Lambert

Your worst impulse buy...

Some might be surprized to hear this but mine was Ricordia. I bought two small rocks and each have 4-5 shrooms. I think they are the biggest waste of money. It's been a full year with 0 propigation. Wish I had spent the money more wisely.
  13. Craig Lambert

Starting over

Hey Ken, I think your setup is just a situation where you're not equiped to effectively export nutients for a 135G system, and it has caught up with you over time. A Seaclone isn't going to cut it on a 135...even a modded one. I think the best thing you could do is to add a really good...
  14. Craig Lambert

Starting over

As you said you are lightly stocked. I think your feeding frequency is fine, but I would switch to all frozen food rather than flake given the algae problem. Also, it is important to rinse the frozen food thoroughly before placing it in the tank. Frozen cubes are loaded with phosphates and a...
  15. Craig Lambert

Starting over

Ken, What type of algae are you battling? Why not post all of your water parameters and see if we can get to the source of the problem. In addition to your water parameters you should list what's in the tank, and what and how often you feed. Your lighting has nothing to do with this. For some...
  16. Craig Lambert

walter quality

I test weekly for ALK, Calcium, Salinity. Monthly for Magnesium. Anh have a pH probe. As an aside, I am always surprized by the number of people who run reef tanks and don't own an alkalinity test kit. If I could only check one parameter it would be Alkalinity. I think it is the most...
  17. Craig Lambert

Trigger in a reef tank

Here's a cool one people have had success with in a reef: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=13697&siteid=20
  18. Craig Lambert

LFS Smell in my house

I have read that some people put a small amount of white vinigar in the skimmer collection cup after they clean it.
  19. Craig Lambert

Help Me Choose That Final Fish

Cheeks, I think I'll have to consider the super male Lineatus. Stunning fish! I hope you realized in my earlier post that I was referring to the post about damsels when I said "aren't they for cycling". (Not that I ever cycled a tank with any fish). Thanks to everyone else who made...
  20. Craig Lambert

Protien Skimmers?

With an 80G tank you would be much better off with a sump. There are far better in-sump skimmers available than anything you can buy that hangs on the back of your tank. EuroReef, Deltec, Aqua-C, and ETSS are some of the brands you might consider. Go with something that is rated for more than an...