Search results

1. carlagracie

New liverock rinse off?

I was able to get my live sand and live rock in my tank last night. Unfortunately we added the sand first which made the water extremely dirty. We then added the rock and I just woke up and went and looked at it and some of the sediment has settled and I can see the rock. As I figured it's...
  2. carlagracie

Here we go NEW BUILD!!!!!

Alright its time we have made up our minds. After going to our lfs today to get a quote we came home and are now moving our small living room around for our 90 gallon setup. Unfortunately where we want the tank our TV currently sits in that spot. We need to call Directv tomorrow and have them...
  3. carlagracie

Back again and want to do it right.

Well all I'm 29 years old and my wife wants a saltwater tank. Who am I kidding I want one also. The last one we had was a 29g bio cube that we loved and ended up giving it away to her mom who wanted one and was easy to take care of which she still has today. We are wanting one now and we are...
  4. carlagracie

Trouble reading my TDS meter. Help.

UPS just droped off my BRS order which had an RO/DI unit and a TDS meter. I have the unit hooked up now and I am waiting for it to produce. I checked the rodi water that im buying from my LFS and the TDS is 002 PPM. My tap water is 569 PPM. I tested my tank water and the display comes up - - -...
  5. carlagracie

I have a pod outbreak please help!

Over the past 4 days or so I have noticed pods in my tank. Today they are all over the glass and blowing around in my tank and honestly isnt a big deal but it looks like I have floating pieces of sand. How can I get these out of my tank??? Thinking of getting a mandrain until they are gone then...
  6. carlagracie

Moving rock in tank?

I just installed my media basket and my water is stirred up at the moment. I want my move my rock work all the way to the back. Its in the middle now. All I want to do is have one of us on each side and pick up and shift backwards. Will I start a mini cycle? Dont want to hurt my fish.
  7. carlagracie

First water change time?

Well my BC29 has been up for 3 weeks and 4 days now. Week 1 small ammonia spike 2 days later back to 0. I tested every day since then. 1 week ago I added a CUC and 2 B&W clowns. Today I tested and ammonia and nitrites were 0. Nitrates however today was 5.0 ppm. Im yet to do a water change. My...
  8. carlagracie

Stocking list for a BC29...

I have someone around me who sells different Clownfish to a couple stores in my area. I happened to be at one of the stores today when he brought some clowns in. We got to talking for a good hour and was invited to his house to look and see what he has. I went to his house and was AMAZED to say...
  9. carlagracie

The all important what to feed?

This coming Sunday I will be picking up my first 2 fish. I am buying from a local breeder here in MI. I am getting 2 black and white clownfish. Should I offer flakes or frozen or what would you all recommend? Thanks.
  10. carlagracie

Live Rubble VS. Purigen and Chemi-Pure?

I have been doing more research lately about my Bio cube. Currently I have a biocube protein skimmer in chamber 1 which I just bought yesterday and already had a half cup of gunk. Chamber 2 I took out bio balls and put in about 6 pounds of live rubble with filter floss on top. I have seen people...
  11. carlagracie

Time already for a CUC?

Today marks the 1 week mark since my tank has been up and running. 2 days ago I noticed I was getting brown Algae all over on my live rock. I just shut my lights out at 9pm and noticed I am getting alot of that on my live sand as well. My water tests great. pH 8.3, temp 77.7, Ammonia 0, Nitrite...
  12. carlagracie

Bad Phosphate test kit?

I have tested my tank water, tap well water, Bottled Ice Mountain water and city tap water. My tank has RO/DI water in it from a very trusted source. All of the tests that I have done my phosphates have all been 0.1. I have had the test kit for for about 2 years and doesnt expire until 6-2012. I...
  13. carlagracie

Using well water?

I have another question. I went and bought a FW test kit today so I could test my well water. My pH is 8.2 and my Phosphate is 0.1 from the tap. Would there be any harm in using my tap water in my tank? I have 5 gallons of my LFS RO/DI water left and I tested it and the pH is 7.9 and Phosphate...
  14. carlagracie

Do I need to help My tank Cycle?

I have been doing more reading on this website and have learned alot. One thing im just a bit confused on is when they say throw a piece of shrimp in the tank to start it to cycle faster. We have had our 29g Bio cube set up since last night. Temp is right on and so is the salt. Raised it from...
  15. carlagracie

New Bio Cube what to do?

I have been doing some reading on the site and now im just a little bit confused. I have been reading that Bio balls are bad and not to use them. My 29g Bio Cube that I got up and running today came with alot of Bio balls. Should I go ahead and take them out now or what? I know 3 people who have...
  16. carlagracie

Starting out again... Help.

I have tried in the past to keep a SW tank and have had no luck. Tomorrow we are getting a brand new Bio cube from my wife's parents who bought it a year ago and never took it out of the box. It has been about 8 months or more since we had any tank. We would like to start off small and work our...
  17. carlagracie

Which Casister Filter?

Hello I have a 75 gallon FOWLR and a sebae nem. I would love to have a sump but have no place to put it. My tank is on our island in our kitchen and we want the tank where everyone can see it not in a back room. I have had an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter on the tank for 3 years now and its done...
  18. carlagracie

Sebae Anemone. Feeding? and hosting.

Hello all my fiance brought home a sebae anemone the other day without telling me. Not sure if we were ready yet but she saw it and bought it. Anyway its been 4 days and he seems to be doing great he found a spot with medium flow and has been there for 3 days now. I have been feeding him dry...
  19. carlagracie

Necessary Testing?

Hey all I have a quick question. What tests are necessary for a FOWLR tank? Right now I test for N02, NH3/NH4 and pH. What am I missing? I am using Tetra test kits. Thanks. P.S. Now I test twice a week is that ok?
  20. carlagracie

Do I need a Protein Skimmer?

Alright I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank. I have about 60 pounds of LR, 40 pounds of live sand and 40 pounds of crushed coral. I have 2 Koralia 3 powerheads and an HOB AquaClear Powerfilter 110. I know a sump would be the best but I have no place to put it. I plan on adding a few corals and 2-3...