Search results

1. DanSReef

New Hybrid LED - T5 Light Coming Out!

I thought I would share this with everyone here in case you had not already seen it. This is a pretty awesome fixture coming from Prestige-LED. Prestige-LED the latest LED & T5 hybrid fixture to hit the scene I already have one on order.... I will crank out a review when I get it.
  2. DanSReef

SPS Polyp Extension

So... as the title states I have some questions about SPS Polyp Extension.... My 92 gal corner bow is about 7 months old at this point. I am running LED lighting with good par readings through out the tank. My water parameters are all excellent. I will list them below. The flow is really...
  3. DanSReef

Help Needed!

Hellow RS... I have had a new 92 Gal Corner Bow Front tank in process since before Thanksgiving(see my build thread in my signature). Up until a few weeks ago... I have been really pretty happy with the progress of the tank. Of late... I have been noticing I am loosing color... and am now...
  4. DanSReef

Awesome Videos

I thought I would share a couple of awesome videos by way od Advanced Aquarist. I enjoed watching them and thought I would share some inspiration on this Super Sunday..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnQV8gbTKyk&feature=player_embedded
  5. DanSReef

Strange Breakfast for My Welso

As I usually do, I looked into my dark tank this morning to watch all of the critters that roam about when the lights are out. This morning I was surprised to see what my Welso was doing. It usually looks like this in the morning: Well, today something was clearly different. On closer...
  6. DanSReef

Odd Looking Crab... ID Help Needed

OK. I need everyone's help. I found a small (about half the size of your small finger's nail) crab-like creature crawling among the rock in my new 92. It is brown and rather flat... definitely not a snail. It definitely had short milipede like legs... The rear of the creature looks like a two...
  7. DanSReef

Dan's 92 Corner Bow Front Build

So I have started a new tank build that I would share with everyone here, it is a 92 gal acrylic corner bow front made by Clarity Plus. I bought it from a local reefer who was upgrading his tank. The tank has 36" long sides and is 30" deep. It started pretty rough. I needed to spend a lot of...
  8. DanSReef

Opinions Wanted.... Planning New Aquarium Project.

Hello All. I am about to embark on a new Aquarium Project and I would like to tap into the wealth of knowledge and expertise on RS! Please review my plans and provide your thoughts and direction. My intent is to create an SPS Dominant Reef Tank that I can enjoy from my home office where...
  9. DanSReef

Starting a New 8 Gal Oceanic Bio Cube

So, I have started my new 8 gal Oceanic Bio Cube. I figure this is the first New Nano Reef I have done in a while so I thought I would try to document everything as I go.....of course with pictures…and flip video along the way. I thought I would start a new thread here as a reference for those...
  10. DanSReef

Yellow Tang….Strange Condition

I have had a yellow tang in my 72 gal reef for a couple of months now and he has settled in quite nicely. There has been any fighting among other inhabitants that include a pair of Green Chromis, TR Perculas, Copper Band Butterfly, Bumble Bee Damsel and Flame Angel… The Tang has been eating...
  11. DanSReef

New 8 Gal Oceanic Bio Cube

OK.... My wife and daughters bought me an 8 gallon Oceanic Bio Cube for Christmas. Their thought was for me to have a small Nano Reef for my desk in my home office ( I work out of my home office). This brings a total of three SW tanks....a 29 Gal Oceanic, a 72 Bow Front and now an 8 Gal...
  12. DanSReef

R.I.P. Spot!!!!!

Last night while feeding the tank.... I noticed that our Blue Spot Jaw Fish Spot was not himself. He was watching food drift right by and was not in any way interested in food. I had a bad feeling.... something was wrong. Spot was always a great feeder and would eat everything presented to him...
  13. DanSReef

Direct Sunlight

Hi Everyone. I thought I would ask a quick question on Direct Sunlight for Reef Tanks! In the past I thought the rule of thumb has been that direct sunlight is generally not a good thing for fish tanks….it encourages nuisance algae. I am curious how many folks on the board here get direct...
  14. DanSReef

Creating a Reef RO / DI Water System….

So I am tired of paying the LFS for Pre-Mix Salt ($1.60 per gallon) and Fresh RO/DI water ($1.00 per gallon)… at roughly 20-30 gals of usage a week…getting water from them is eating away at money I could be spending on frags and fish…. :smack: … So I am creating a new RO / DI System here at my...
  15. DanSReef

Help! Need you help with Sick Cooper Band Butterfly Fish

Hi Everyone…. I have an issue that has come up with my Copper Band Butterfly…. I have had him for almost a year now. His original home was my 29Gal Oceanic tank. Then about 10 weeks ago I moved him into a new 72 Gal Bowfront… The water parameters are all great…. Salinity 1.025, Phosphate 0...
  16. DanSReef

New Owner of a Blue Spot Jawfish

Hello Everyone.... This morning I took the plunge and purchased a BSJ from LFS. They had gotten a dozen or so and he was the last of the bunch in their store. He had been with them for about a month and i saw he was eating frozen and pellet food...readily. I have seen that there is a specific...
  17. DanSReef

Chiller Discussion

Hello Everyone. I am relatively new to this board and have recently put together a 75 Gal Bow Front with a 20 gal sump.....95 Gal total volume. I have been able to maintain my target temp up to now....and we are expecting the temps in Chicago to begin to rise. Since we love our windows...
  18. DanSReef

72 Gal Bow Front Reef

Hello Everyone. I am now three weeks into the cycling of my new to me 72 Gal Bow Front Reef tank I purchased off of Craigs List. This is a first for me….purchasing something off of CL….and setting up this large of a reef tank. I have had nano tanks for many years and have a second 29 gal...
  19. DanSReef

Hello!

Well....here I go! My First Post! I am new to this forum and am looking to learn a lot from the collective group here. I spent some time the last couple of days reviewing a lot of rich information....and knowledge! Thank you so much! I started with Salt Water and Reefs 15 ....no 20+...