Search results

1. N

ATO Container Recommendations?

Awesome! Thanks everyone :)
  2. N

ATO Container Recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to find tall skinny ATO containers? I know I've seen mentions here and there of custom acrylic containers, but I can't seem to find any of those companies! I'm open to other types of containers too, just need something that can fit in a small space...
  3. N

Lighting schedule?

Thanks, everyone! The fixture I bought has a built in timer that adjusts whites, blues, and moonlights separately. I always just had one timer when I had my old PC lights, so this scheduling thing is new to me :)
  4. N

Lighting schedule?

I just got a new t5 ho setup and this is the first time I've been able to control the timing of the white and blue lights separately. I know I've seen threads before where people talk about their lighting schedules and how to simulate the sunrise/sunset cycle, but I can't seem to find those...
  5. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

Thank you all so much for the great advice!! So since everyone seems to be in a agreeance that in a shallower tank I can go with a less expensive fixture would you go with the four bulb Aquatic Life or the six bulb cheap ebay fixture? Both I would probably run the stock bulbs temporarily...
  6. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

Last week I ordered the Aquatic Life 6 bulb fixture with a plan of replacing the bulbs with ATI bulbs, but then I got an email Friday that they discontinued the 36" model, so my order was cancelled! :( Do you think the Aquatic Life 4 bulb fixture (or similar) with ATI bulbs would be good? I...
  7. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

Thanks BigAl! I've never heard of Catalina, so I'll look into that! Would that 8 bulb fixture bleach corals? I plan on keeping some stony corals but I also love keeping mushrooms and zoas and wonder if even at the bottom of the tank that might be too much for them? Do you know of any 6 bulb...
  8. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

sirrealism Thanks for your help! Do you have a link to the ebay ones? I'd like to take a look!
  9. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

I'm looking to replace my current lighting system on my 40 gallon breeder. I originally wanted to go with an LED set up, but ultimately decided that a t5 setup would be better for me. I found a thread on 36" t5 bulb recommendations, but not much on fixtures. I don't have the option of suspending...
  10. N

Questions about upgrading lighting

Thanks for the tips, Dave! Funny that you mentioned being able to repair PC lighting... I just realized that the fan on my current lighting hasn't been running. They don't seem to make this fixture anymore. Any idea where I can get a fan for it? Or should I see that as a kick in the butt to...
  11. N

Questions about upgrading lighting

Hello! I'm returning from a long hiatus here. Two years ago I was unfortunately forced to condense my 40 gallon reef tank with 20 gallon sump to a 20 gallon tank with no sump or any fancy equipment due to my living situation. I thought it would be very temporary, but it ended up being two years...
  12. N

Can anyone review the API Tap Filter??

I'm not sure what the TDS of my tap is... but the quality report shows nitrates are 1.6 ppm!!! and of course a load of other stuff. I'm guessing I would have to change that cartridge pretty often.... Thoughts on filtering distilled water through a DI filter??? I can get distilled for the same...
  13. N

Will lights out kill caulerpa???

I've got two different kinds, grape caulerpa and I think the other is brachypus? The grape is contained to one spot, no issues there. But the other is RAMPANT! I grab handfuls of it and then pick with tweezers but I would have to tweeze for days to get it all. I know there is an obvious...
  14. N

Thanks Al. You know its really crazy that I live 20 minutes from DC and I can't get water anywhere close! All of the really close fish stores don't make their own RO/DI, they have gallon containers shipped in which is super expensive. And there's not even a walmart where I could go get 5...
  15. N

I'm not really in a situation where I can produce all of that waste water with an RO/DI unit though. I also do not have a lot of space under my sink. If I can't find another method I will have to continue driving for my water and not be able to up my water changes. Right now I'm doing about 10...
  16. N

Hi everyone. I'm curious if anyone has used the API Tap filter before? It hooks right to the faucet and produces 10 gallons of DI water. From reviews I've read on amazon, the only downside is the cost of the replacement filters. Anyone have any issues with it?? Basically I'm trying to find a...
  17. N

I'm about to give up on this tank. I bought a decorator crab from Reefcleaners a while ago and he actually was eating the stuff and making a dent in it!!! But now I've noticed he is eating asteria stars instead and caulerpa has grown more than ever. I'm really tempted to just take all the rocks...
  18. N

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my tank is only 40 gallons. I feel like that's way too small for a tang even if its just temporary to get rid of this plant!!!! There doesn't seem to be any herbivore fish that can handle a 40 gallon (more reason why I need a BIGGER tank!!!! :)
  19. N

I really want to get rid of this stuff!!!! I pull out handfuls a week and it just comes right back. It's on every single rock. It looks hideous. I've been thinking about maybe moving one rock at a time into a closed 5 gallon bucket of saltwater with heater and powerhead. If I leave it for a...
  20. N

Ocellaris clown changing color??

About a month ago I purchased two ocellaris clowns, one about an inch long and one slightly larger, obviously still young fish. In the short time that I have had them, the larger clown has grown to about 2 inches while the smaller has stayed the same size. They follow each other everywhere and...