Search results

1. octavian

Help Odyssea Skimmer

Odyssea PS75 skimmer. Hang on back configuration. Outlet valve wide open. Cup fills up in about 7 seconds and onto carpet. Suggestions?
  2. octavian

White Specks on Glass and Some Rocks

At first, I thought it was coraline algae. I no longer think it it. They are too tiny to get a picture of. If I look through the back of the glass, they have a spiral appearance with a tint of pinkish purple along the ridges of the spirals. There are about a hundred of them on the...
  3. octavian

Dead Sponser Link

In Living Color Aquariums.
  4. octavian

Tiny Pink Flower Thingys

Very small, I have several. Ideas?
  5. octavian

Crab Traps

I need to remove 2 emerald crabs that have turned murderous on my tank. I can't get them with my hand, they seem to dart for the underside of rocks and stick to the underside of them. Has anyone ever constructed a crab trap that will catch these evil monsters? I will not kill them...
  6. octavian

Sun Coral Questions

I bought my first real coral, an orange sun coral. It only opens up a tiny bit, it wouldn't eat. Suggestions? Also, will light harm it? Should I be posting this in the beginners section, or is this section ok? :meeting:
  7. octavian

Algae Attack 4: Minty

The past attacks have been contained. The new spots I'm noticing are a 'minty green'. Different than the other stuff. I think...maybe...this is 'good' algae? Grows, so far, only on dead and live rock. Anyone? :look:
  8. octavian

Algae Attack 3: Green Acres

Just when I was ready to declare victory against the rusty brown algae, a new invader has moved into my tank. Green spots, VERY difficult to scrape off of surfaces, many have green 'whiskers' on them. I checked the algae sticky thread. Not much help. Too much techno-babble. :grind:
  9. octavian

Woah Black Blenny...wham balam

I saw a solid black blenny at my LFS tonight. Strange. Does anyone have one of these? I can't find any info on them. :black:
  10. octavian

Prizm Skimmers

Pros/ Cons? :meeting:
  11. octavian

Rusty Alge Attack 2

The tank looked OK when I got home. Lights on, feed fish, lengthy nap, eat, watch TV, surf net. 8 hours later...nasty brown spots all over tank...rocks, glass, big patches in sand. I broke out a tooth brush and started going to town. It brushes off easily, except in porus holes...
  12. octavian

I Did It!

...I think. Ammonia: 0 NitrItes: 0 Nitrates....10-13ppm What is the acceptable amt of Nitrates? Rather, what is the max ?
  13. octavian

Water Test Results: Need Opinions

Used Saltwater Master Test Kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. pH: 7.8 ammonia: .25ppm nitrite: difficult to tell. I estimated .10ppm or less nitrate: 10ppm 1 month old aquarium, UV sterilizer, ehiem canister, live sand, mixed live/dead rock. Are these readings OK? ANother...
  14. octavian

Rusty Alge Takeover

I left the light on overnight. (36" compact 50/50 flor) It was on almost 24 hours. Everything turned rusty brown including the sand. Tank temp was 82+ from 79. What is this alge? What eats it that I can place in tank? Can the temp harm corals and fish? :grr:
  15. octavian

Noob Question: Live Rock v Dead

If I stuck live rock in with dead stuff, would the dead stuff eventually become live(ish)? Will neat little critters grow on them? :thumbup: