Search results

1. J

Metal Halide Wattage

I have a 90 gallon mixed reef. I have a 48" lighting fixture that houses 3/ 175w 14,000k MH's for a total MH wattage of 525 watts. (I do have 2 48" actinics also). Question being...Would I be better off having 2/ 250 MH's (total 500 watts), as far as penatration? (90 gallon is 24" deep). What is...
  2. J

RO/DI Waste Water

Hi All! So, I spent the last year buying gallon jugs of distilled water from Walmart. Making "special" water trips, carrying 12 gallons up 23 steps to my place, having too many empty gallon jugs to get rid of and the cardboard boxes that held 3 gals. all over my kitchen 'til recycle day every 2...
  3. J

RO/DI Water

Finally took the leap and ordered a RO/DI unit (Tired of carrying jugs). Do you add anything(s) to the "pure" water when using it straight for evaporation top-offs? IE: Buffers?
  4. J

Denitrifier

Hi All! I was just wondering about the used denitrifier I purchased. It's a Midwest Aquatics Denitrifer. It came without any bio material and missing a couple of small parts. Can I get the bio material used in ANY denitrifier, or does it have to come from Midwest Aquatics? What's the fellow...
  5. J

Stinkin' Flatworms!

My 90 has suffered an infestation at the greatest meaning of the word! I read and re-read the entire 8 page sticky on the subject. Seems most success has been from the use of Flatworm Exit. But, I've got this kinda' "hang-up" on trying to make such a prestine water condition that the thought of...
  6. J

Mysterious Death

Evening Reefers...I'm very sad to say I came home from work this afternoon to a slightly cloudy tank. The first sign of trouble was that my star player (my Yellow Tang), was not out and about as he/she usually is. I peeked around the side of the tank to see him/her lying nose down in the sand. I...
  7. J

Newtek Timer

Good Mornin' All...I just bought a Newtek 8 Outlet Power Strip W/ 24 Hr. Digital Timer. Instructions are kinda' confusing. There are 4 Timer contolled outlets (4 blue/ 4 yellow). I want my actinics to go on at 11:am and off at 11:pm and my Halides to go on at 12:noon and off at 10:pm. Problem...
  8. J

Blue Velvet Nudibranch

Good evening fellow reefers! I wonder, if I may be so bold, as to ask you guys some help with keeping an eye or two out for Blue Velvet Nudis for me? As many know, they are very delicate with a short life-span (3 months) and feed exclusively on Flat Worms (Which I have an infestation of!) I've...
  9. J

LTA (Corkscrew) Spawning

Good Evening Reefers. Two nights ago, after doing a 15 gal. WC on my 90, all was well. Fish and reef were quite happy. Possibly TOO happy (LOL). My LTA was stretching out like crazy! He (or, apparently, she) must of stretched 15 inches up and about 12 across. All of a sudden, she started...
  10. J

Can't Seem To Keep Fish

Hi All! Newbie here! I just can't seem to keep fish! My 90 gal. tank is app. 3 months new. I went (what I think) was the cycle. I have 200+ lbs. of live rock and app. 75 lbs. of live sand. I went through the ammonia spike, then the nitrite spike. Now ammonia and nitrites are zero. Nitrates are...
  11. J

Coralline Algae

Excuse my newbie ignorance, but what does coralline algae look like at the very start of growth? I have white dots on my tank walls and rocks and many of them seem to be turning pink/purple. They look like tiny calcium deposits. Those with lots of coralline must know how it looked from the...
  12. J

Greetings!

Hello everyone! My name is Chris from Upstate N.Y., Hudson Valley. I'm kinda' "re-born" to this hobby as I was very much into it some 15+ yrs. ago with a 125 gal. reef tank...Long story short, in the Winter of '96, we had 14 major snow storms back to back in my area and we went 4 days without...