Search results

1. NYCreefer

tiny white stars on glass

Thanks Pgh - Great ID, they're Hydroid Jellyfish for sure. Seem to have quite the infestation of them, fish don't seem interested either .. was reading a peppermint shrimp might help.
  2. NYCreefer

almost forgot
  3. NYCreefer

Hundreds of them have been popping up lately ... mag float clears em right up but they come back strong. Any ideas? Cheers.
  4. NYCreefer

Red/Purple algae popped up overnight

.. I was afraid that might be the answer. Looks like I'll be waging war on yet another nuisance algae, thx guys.
  5. NYCreefer

Red/Purple algae popped up overnight

Just when I thought my tank was algae free, I wake up to see half my substrate covered in this stuff. Is it cyano or some kind of red hair algae maybe?
  6. NYCreefer

5 Days in on my new 130D!

Hey all! Been a while so thought I'd post some pics. Recently added 2 stunner LEDs, one 453nm blue and one 8000K/453nm combo - these lights looks great when switched on alone or to add some "pop" to corals when the main lights are on - very happy with the purchase. I run the LEDs 10hrs a...
  7. NYCreefer

My Video blog and time laps of me setting up a RSM

It does look rather wide .. I think Youtube must of stretched the video. Power heads are in the right place for a 130.
  8. NYCreefer

How not to clean your RSM ..

SUCCESS!!! :bigbounce A quick rubdown with some extra virgin olive oil and it's as good as new. Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions! Edison - You are too kind offering your hood. Maybe after my next blunder i'll take you up on your offer =) :ashamed: w00t - I used 91% strength...
  9. NYCreefer

Thanks all for the suggestions! Think I'll give the mineral/vegetable oil and carwax ideas a shot tonight - those seem pretty unintrusive. I would hate to have to replace the entire hood seeing as it's in perfect mechanical shape but ultimately if I've exhausted all other options then that...
  10. NYCreefer

Terry I was mostly referring to the lobophora - i swear I can practically see the stuff growing in front of my eyes. My little emerald crab does pick at it occasionally but he's fighting a losing battle. Saw some threads about Naso Tangs loving the stuff and possibly even an urchin. Think I...
  11. NYCreefer

Steve that's a good thought - will try that tonight before going on the offensive with sandpaper. I wonder if all else fails if RSM would sell me a replacement hood w/o all the components.
  12. NYCreefer

So we're almost a month in - amazing how time flies! Recently added about a dozen snails, 6 hermits and an emerald crab. Was really hoping to see a reduction in algae, but instead it's spreading like wildfire. Realizing that the RSM kit didn't come with a phosphate test, I purchased the...
  13. NYCreefer

Not sure what I was thinking, but I decided I would try to clean the exterior of my RSM with rubbing alcohol - BIG MISTAKE! The picture doesn't really do it justice, but it seems like the alcohol somehow reacted with the plastic and left these white streaks all over. Feel like such an idiot...
  14. NYCreefer

Does he stay or go?

First time I've seen him, must of come on the LR - some kind of isopod maybe?
  15. NYCreefer

Tufftey's Start of An Adventure RSM 130

Rock work looks great! I too have Ulva growing but nothing like yours - just a patch here and there. fortunately it's not one of the nasty algaes out there like the dreaded bryopsis, which I'm starting to find popping up all over my tank. :sinking: Regarding your water parameters, I was in a...
  16. NYCreefer

Closer pic of that algae .. used my blackberry camera, seemed to have an easier time focusing then my Canon, go figure. Bristle worm getting a little too close for comfort ..
  17. NYCreefer

yeah there's a vertical window with hash marks looking into the chamber of death where the pumps sit.
  18. NYCreefer

Yeah now that you mention it, it's completely blocking the holes on the rack. Great suggestion! Now to find some zipties ..
  19. NYCreefer

Uhmmm .. kinda ya. I'm taking it that was a bad move on my part?
  20. NYCreefer

Thanks Dave! Not sure what I'd do without you guys. :smack: So I think I may have a flow issue. The water level indicator on the rear left of the tank shows 3 lines down, while the level on the front of the tank is a little above the black plastic. hard to say, but it seems like this...