Search results

1. nunlef

can i run a stock BCas a FO

Hi, My daughter has expressed interest in having her own saltwater tank (in her room) and I am looking in to the BioCubes. I am wondering if anyone has success running the stock equipment long term. Most of what i see here is people making mods before they even put water in it. She is 6...
  2. nunlef

Coral ID request

Hi, I bought a complete reef from someone last fall - and it came with all kinds of super things (most of which were hiding between goo and algae) Everything has been living in my system for a while now, but I never did figure out what this thing is. My XL pink spotted goby used to move it...
  3. nunlef

lots of coral, polyps and LPS mostly

Hi, I don't post here often, not really since my tank became "all settled in". I have had these corals in my tank for at least 6 months, some are about a year "in tank". I would like to clear out EVERY coral in my tank - switching to a macro theme for a while. I may be overlooking some of...
  4. nunlef

do I have a $400 timer? Apex help

Hi, my husband got me an Apex Aquacontroller for Christmas. I'm really trying to appreciate it, but it's not doing anything that my $5 manual timers from walmart weren't doing. My understanding of the controller is that it automates things. Is there anything else it can do? So far I just have...
  5. nunlef

tank crash - how to recover

Hi, I had a freak tank crash about 4 days ago. I did a water change and within 24 hours, ALL the corals were closed up, and the glass was covered with (what looks like) hair algae. There is also a HORRENDOUS smell coming from the whole tank. I tested the water, basically fine, but salinity...
  6. nunlef

best lighting for macro tank

Hi, I'm going to be setting up my macro tank in the next week or two, and would like advice on lighting. I added some really great macros into my 55 reef, but the LED lighting i'm using killed off the ones that weren't shoved in a cave. I want to stick with LEDs if I can, and am looking at...
  7. nunlef

Catalina Aquarium sump and fuge with light

Hi, I rescued a saltwater system a few weeks ago, and am parting out the components I can't use. For sale now is the sump. This is a sump/refugium "kit" that catalina aquarium sells. It come with the sump, all the plumbing, hob overflow box, refugium light, and return pump. It is currently...
  8. nunlef

FS AquaticLife Programmable 4x24 T5 fixture

Hi, I have a 4 month old AquaticLife T5 fixture for sale. This is the programmable version with 4 T5 bulbs and moonlights. Details can be found on foster and smith aquatics website, or just about anywhere that sells reef lighting. $150 plus shipping, I will take Paypal or cash. This weighs...
  9. nunlef

macro filtered reef water?

I am wondering if it is possible to utilize specific algae to "filter" water for use in a reef tank. I ordered several different algae from reef cleaners (hopefully getting it today :) ) and will be using it in my display mixed reef. I think it will look pretty, but I am also hoping to better...
  10. nunlef

a 55g simple mixed reed

Hi, I don't really post anymore, but I wanted to share/chronicle my new tank. Background; step 1. I had a 48 fowlr, it was a horrible mess because i did things and then just crossed my fingers. step 2. found this forum, and decided I would "do things right". I bought a 120g, ran a...
  11. nunlef

bryopsis and pods and tangs

Hi. I have a really beautiful bryopsis plant. I love that thing, but it is getting a little big. I would like to manage it without sacrificing the healthy pod population (I have a LOT of pod eaters, actually I only have pod eaters) This is what I was thinking; Put the rock that has the...
  12. nunlef

free live sand

Hi, I'm breaking down my "other tank" and have about 30lbs of live sand. I'ts not that live, but may help bio filter. No critters (that I've ever seen), grains are probably about sugar size, maybe a little bigger. The tank has been running as-is for about 4 months, and I've never seen even a...
  13. nunlef

making a tank, viable option?

I was thinking about downgrading my 120g, but after looking at the room where I would like to relocate my livestock, I thought dual 90-s would be more attractive. I do not want to buy 2 90g tanks. I have seen a few websites that explain how to make an acrylic tank, so I'm wondering if...
  14. nunlef

want-to-trade 120 RR for 75 or 90 RR

I have a 120g AGA RR tank (see signature) that I would like to trade for a 75 or 90 gallon RR tank. My tank is fully functional, and it would come with the stand - although I did take out the center brace to remove the sump, and I just glued it back together. I don't need a stand, though one...
  15. nunlef

WTB external pump

Hi, I am looking for a decent external pump for my water change routine. I need something that will pump any amount of water, but head needs to be 20+ feet. That's it, thanks. Heather
  16. nunlef

Blue Zoo Aquatics

I recently ordered 3 "tiny" hippo tangs, a med Pink spotted watchman goby, a candy striped pistol shrimp, 5 scarlet hermits and a "pink" montipora digita. The tangs were about 1.5", a GREAT size to start out with (for me, anyway). all were healthy in appearance, swimming in open water and...
  17. nunlef

new reef brite strip - review

Happy mother's day to me Happy mother's day to me I must've been a good mommy cause I got a reef brite LED That's alittle tune I wrote last sunday while putting my fancy new light on the tank. It's a 48" white ReedBrite LED strip I bought online at Premium Aquatics. My tank is...
  18. nunlef

diy 2in1 reactor?

I have a cheapy jebo skimmer that I took apart, and am going to turn in to a phosphate reactor (i think that's what it's called). anyway, I'm wondering if I can section it off to have a carbon chamber in there, too. That way I can do both and don't need to buy anything else (or complicate the...
  19. nunlef

light meter, par, lux?

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a meter of some kind to find out what my current lights are doing. I'm wondering if a digital light meter used in photography would give me some number that translates to aquaria, or is it more specific than that? The one I'm looking at is called a "Lux Meter"...
  20. nunlef

should I save a yellow tang from petco?

Hi, I have been watching this yellow tang at petco for close to a month now. When it came in, it looked very healthy and rounded. There hasn't been an ich outbreak in his tank (or sister tanks) at all. When I stopped in the other day, his belly is sucken in. It is emaciated, and it's bothering...