Search results

1. nunlef

can i run a stock BCas a FO

the old "sure we can get a birds nest, but we'll need the tunze powerhead that is compatible with our controller" ploy.... fortunately my husband leaves the fish tank research to me ;) That's also how I got our second 125, i told him our school of 3 tangs were getting to the size that they...
  2. nunlef

can i run a stock BCas a FO

Hi, My daughter has expressed interest in having her own saltwater tank (in her room) and I am looking in to the BioCubes. I am wondering if anyone has success running the stock equipment long term. Most of what i see here is people making mods before they even put water in it. She is 6...
  3. nunlef

Coral ID request

Just thought I would let everyone know that the little stinker got himself "unstuck" from his super glue throne. He is now on the sandbed once again. It's like having a naughty child that won't go to his room.
  4. nunlef

Coral ID request

it's been alive and in it's current state for about 8 months, so maybe it's an Irish walking dendro (you know, because of it's light coloring ;) ) I started spot feeding it about once a week, so i guess we'll just wait and see. it's tentacles do look a little longer and more active, so i think...
  5. nunlef

Coral ID request

Well, I guess now I can see if the color will come back nicely, or if it going to stay pale green. Thanks for helping everyone, I can now sleep easy knowing I have a totally useless, yet rare, coral ;)
  6. nunlef

Coral ID request

I guess either way, I messed up by glueing it down. Now, does anyone know how to remove super glue gel from the soft tissue of a critter?
  7. nunlef

Coral ID request

The "base" feels very similar to an almost ripe pear. Firm, not hard, not even close to squishy. I've seen a BTA before, but I've never looked to closely because I'm not ready for it. (on the advice of Frankie and BigAl, btw, about a year ago ;) ) The base of an anemone looks squooshy to me.
  8. nunlef

Coral ID request

Oh, and though I am female, I have giant hands. for scale, my thumbnail is about 3/4 inch across.
  9. nunlef

Coral ID request

Now that I know I'm not the only one a little stumped on the ID, I'm REALLY interested in finding out what the heck this thing is. It is my understanding that the worm is not required for the coral to survive, unfortunately I glued it down, so I can't see under it to see if there is a hole...
  10. nunlef

Coral ID request

OOOH, you're kidding me. That looks more like what I have than anything else I've seen. In fact, when I got it, I thought is was a sickly duncan head, but the base was too substantial. Maybe that's why it kept moving all over stupid place, I had been blaming the fish/crabs. One question. If...
  11. nunlef

Coral ID request

I also forgot to mention that is fluoresces really nicely under my blue LEDs
  12. nunlef

Coral ID request

Thanks for the suggestion, after I googled that I figured out what all these crazy things where all over my rocks :) I couldn't find any pictures that looked like what I have, specifically the coloration and tentacles. The "unknown creature" in the pictures is about 1" in diameter and varies...
  13. nunlef

Coral ID request

Hi, I bought a complete reef from someone last fall - and it came with all kinds of super things (most of which were hiding between goo and algae) Everything has been living in my system for a while now, but I never did figure out what this thing is. My XL pink spotted goby used to move it...
  14. nunlef

Bryopsis

Hi, I was wondering if you had update on your clado/bryopsis issue. I have been trying to treat bryopsis, but your picture looks more like what I have than anything else I've seen. thanks
  15. nunlef

Hello, Questions!

Hi, You're obviously not new to saltwaqter, and I'm not sure how much help my reply will be, but... I have used marineland stealth heaters and eheim jager (i think that's the name). i don't notice a difference. I have used a SWC, reef Octopus HOT, and now a bubble magus for skimmers. I...
  16. nunlef

Pink spotted Goby

We loved our pink spotted goby (Pinky). We had him about a year, and he was over 6" long when he finally jumped - yes he was in for a year without incident, that is why i took the cover off. ours ate SF frozen marine mix(or blend, can't recall the name just now) I thought he was a little...
  17. nunlef

JJ's BIG - 125 gallon Upgrade

thanks so much for sharing this build. I have gone from a 40 to a 120 to a 55... my 125 gets here in 2 weeks, so I will be watching your thread very carefully. The 125 has great dimensions, I'm excited to see where you go with it. (and i'm looking for rockwork ideas, so post pics soon ;) )
  18. nunlef

lots of coral, polyps and LPS mostly

Oh, I forgot - I will also allow "on site fragging". If you can make it out here (and you are not a creepy criminal type ;) ) you can take frags of whatever you want, $5 per head of anything.
  19. nunlef

lots of coral, polyps and LPS mostly

Hi, I don't post here often, not really since my tank became "all settled in". I have had these corals in my tank for at least 6 months, some are about a year "in tank". I would like to clear out EVERY coral in my tank - switching to a macro theme for a while. I may be overlooking some of...
  20. nunlef

do I have a $400 timer? Apex help

thanks so much for all the replies. I scaled back my system in september because the maintenance was out of control. On THAT system this controller would have been a great relief. I do have it controlling all timed devices and heater. I guess my issue is that I now have a 55g reef with no...