Search results

1. ChrisOaty

Auto Top Off Help!

Hi guys, just finished soldering up my float switch to an extension cord for my fill pump. I'm using a 5 gallon bucket in my cabinet. Testing the switch with a light bulb I ran into a problem. The light was off when the float was up (so far, so good), and turned on when I let it drop to within a...
  2. ChrisOaty

QuietOne 4000 - Junk?

Ok, so I wanted to increase the flow through my sump so that the overflow can be split between my ATS and the rest of my sump. I also wanted a quieter, more powerful pump as my current one is old and vibrates quite a bit. I figured with a QuietOne 4000 rated for almost 1000gph, I would get at...
  3. ChrisOaty

Marineland's Maxi-Jet 1200 "Pro"

Ok, so I've finally gotten sick of the noise this thing makes but would like to justify the $25 I spent on it by using it somehow. After much searching, I'm regretting not buying the originally Italian manufactured Cobalt version. I have, however found ONE post of someone who owns a Marineland...
  4. ChrisOaty

Bug ID for the Gurus

Hi all, I'm about to set up my 40b and seed it with liverock that's been in my little 10g for a few months. I was excited because I finally saw little isopods scurrying around at night time but at a closer glance I also found little round white bugs too. I have never seen these before and at...
  5. ChrisOaty

My 40B Chronicle - lots of pictures

Well, since I moved into my apartment I have had my 40 breeder out of commission and have since kept a little 10 gallon nano with a little DIY cree led fixture, about 15 lbs of liverock, a black and white clown, and a scroll coral. Started itching again and so I asked the front office if a fish...
  6. ChrisOaty

40 Breeder Stand Design

Hi all. I've made a couple tank stands in my past but they've been out of 2x4s. I'd like more room within the cabinet and I know this design is overkill as far as weight support. Messing around on Sketchup I've designed a tank stand that I'd like to build for my 40B and 29 gallon sump. The...
  7. ChrisOaty

250gal plywood idea.

So, I've really given it a lot of thought and I'm over trying to make my 55gallon tank work. There are simply so many things I would like to do that are too difficult with a full glass tank. So I've been doing a lot of research on plywood tanks. I've come across a large piece of glass that...
  8. ChrisOaty

14gal BioCube 2.0 (with pics)

Alright folks. After my last tank had to be torn down over a year ago, the itch caught me and my fresh water 65 just wasn't cutting it any longer. So, I decided to dig out my old 14 gallon BioCube and make some major modifications to it. The first thing I did was Tear out the rear black...
  9. ChrisOaty

New to Seahorses

Hi all! I've been on this forum for a while now and everyone's been so helpful in my reef adventures. I've recently procured a couple tanks and my friend wants to start up a seahorse tank for her. So i told her to be patient because it can't be a simple and/or fast task. So here is my attempt...
  10. ChrisOaty

Euro bracing my new tank?

Hi all. I have a new tank that I have big plans for. I've drilled the tank for two 3/4" bulkheads for a center/rear overflow but I will be adding a custom internal overflow. My problem is that the center glass brace makes it extremely hard to work with in this location and from what I've read...
  11. ChrisOaty

PC Lighting question

I have 4 24 watt pc bulbs that were designed to run off their own ballast. These came from 2 14 gallon biocubes. I'm missing two of the ballasts but have all 4 bulbs and fixtures. I was given a single 48" pc lighting fixture from a friend last week but the bulb is bad. I was wondering If it...
  12. ChrisOaty

Chris's 60 Gallon Build

Woo! Got my new tank and built the stand for it today. I have to give credit to this forum for supplying me with the plans for it. I made it very tall because I'm sick of having to bend down to look at all my beautiful wet pets. This gives me tons of room for a huge sump, equipment, and...
  13. ChrisOaty

New 60gal Tank! =]

Hi all! Well, I started my first 14gal BioCube about a year ago or so and the bug's got me real bad. So, my brother and I found this bran new 60gal on craigslist here in orange county for only 70 bucks. I'm currently making some DIY aragocrete and saving up for an DIY LED array. I don't...
  14. ChrisOaty

Lighting/Ballast

I have a few of these lying around. They are the guts of a 4 foot lighting fixture with two 40 watt t12 bulbs that i used to have hung up in the garage. All of them still work but I'm wondering if they can be used somehow to power two 24 watt pc bulbs or 4 24 watt t5 bulbs that I have lying...
  15. ChrisOaty

Drilled BioCube 14

Hi all, just finished drilling my biocube 14. The overflows are a bit much, I know, but I set it up for more flow later on. Eventually I plan on setting up the cabinet with a 10 gallon sump and a much stronger return pump. For now, its just a tiny 2.5gal with enough water to house my heater...
  16. ChrisOaty

Help! My Dendro's Turning White!

As stated in the title, my one week old dendro is beginning to whiten around the edges and seems to be creeping closer inward. It's been eating daily and my water's as good as it gets. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Everything else in my tank looks happy and healthy. 2 clowns, wrasse...
  17. ChrisOaty

Anemone Shopping Advice

Hello everyone, I'm sorta new to posting on RS, but i've used it for a while for its wealth of information. I've got a friend who has a 36 gal reef that's been established for almost a year, water parameters are spot on and he just upgraded to Metal Halides about 3 weeks ago. He wants to make...
  18. ChrisOaty

Lighting Help with old Ballasts

Hi all! Got a question. I was diggin around in my attic and found 3 48 inch light fixtures that each house 2 40 watt t12 bulbs. Maybe I'm trying to be a cheap a$$ here, but I figured this might be a great way to save some cash for my new tank build I'm getting ready for. I plugged them all...
  19. ChrisOaty

Hello, I'm the new guy =]

Hello all, I've been frequenting this forum for a couple of months now, trying to gather a bit of information here and there. You are all very informative so far. At the start of this past semester I decided to get into reefing. My friend had an old 20gal long tank, some power heads and an...