Search results

1. russbooger

Serious amphipod or something activity!

Its weird - next day, not a trace of them - ripped out the skimmer, all the media, filter floss and pads, scooped with a fine net in the rear chamber to try and find one to examine with a glass - nothing.
  2. russbooger

new tank progression???

Check the phosphate and nitrate levels with a different test kit (some can be notoriously inaccurate, from personal experience), and depending on the algae type, try to add the relevant clean up crew, as well as reducing light levels if needed. I've just won a 2 month battle with some serious...
  3. russbooger

Serious amphipod or something activity!

Hi all Been a bit busy at work as its my busiest time of year, got home this evening, did my usual glass clean and tank check and found lots of amphipod type things belting around the tank, and congregating under the lights. My fish were looking at them with puzzlement, even my firefish, who...
  4. russbooger

The hard way to learn your back chambers need a good cleaning!

I'm bit of a saddo when it comes to cleaning the rear chambers - bio media I rinse fortnightly, skimmer is cleaned and removed weekly, and then I hoover the detritus out of the chambers. Saying that, I use filter floss over my mechanical sponge so that keeps a lot of crap out of the chambers.
  5. russbooger

Types of Thermometers You Use

Marina Aqua Minder, cheap as chips, gives readout in centigrade and fahrenheit with low and high temp alarms. Also has audible reminders for water changes, filter maintenance and tank overhaul. Best £20 I ever spent!
  6. russbooger

Lettuce nudibranch has doubled!

I don't know, he never seemed to stray from the rockwork, and if he'd gone through the koralia I thought it would turn him into a slug smoothie! It looks like a clean break, no ragged edges, and no mucus or slime leaking out.
  7. russbooger

Cold corals

keeping an eye for the dreaded bjd, got coral dip on standy
  8. russbooger

Lettuce nudibranch has doubled!

Hello all 2nd post today! The lettuce nudibranch I borrowed from the LFS has just done a very curious thing - its split into two parts. I got him a couple of weeks ago to deal with a stubborn patch of bryopsis and the little chap has done a great job, and a couple of days ago every...
  9. russbooger

Cold corals

Hi all Had a delivery last Friday of a hammer and candy cane corals. The heat packs in the box had failed, and the water temp in the containers was 14 degrees C (57 fahrenheit). I placed the containers in the tank till they were up to the temp of my tank, then drip acclimatised them (approx 1...
  10. russbooger

At least we will never have this problem..

Ha Ha! Love the comment amount the sushi chef!
  11. russbooger

KH levels - advice needed

Thanks for that Bob, might over to Tropic Marin Pro Reef after looking at those figures!
  12. russbooger

oh, sorry Bob, I use Tropic Marin salt, don't know if its available in the States, but it what the main UK importer and breeder, TMC, use in their tanks. My LFS use it too, so it kind of made sense to stick to the same brand. I don't dose anything for alkalinity, as I thought regular water...
  13. russbooger

Thanks Bob, starting to sweat for a moment there!
  14. russbooger

Rod's Food - dumb question

Never heard of it - in the UK I feed Gamma foods, Nano Marine Cuisine to be exact!
  15. russbooger

Hi Bob not sure how KH is measured, just looked at the same reading in dKH (not ppm equivalent) on the API kit and its 7 or 8
  16. russbooger

moving xenia - advice needed

thanks everyone, just got £4 a piece from the LFS. A lot of the stalks had migrated up the tank and were on my sargassum macroalgae, so they were easy to pull off and I tied them onto small rocks. With my credit note got a nice little torch coral. Bonus!!
  17. russbooger

Just used my old red sea pH kit, coming in at 8
  18. russbooger

Hi all I've just tested my calcium hardness (KH) with an API kit, and my reading has come back at 125ppm. Are my levels too low? Calcium level using an API calcium test is 420ppm. I carry out my 20% water change religiously every friday, and add Microbe Lift master supplement, which...
  19. russbooger

moving xenia - advice needed

Hello everyone My xenia colony has gone from one head to 6 heads in less than two months, and now I want to get rid of some. At the moment its clinging to my live rock, am I ok to just gently tease the bases off and remove them? Thanks all Russ
  20. russbooger

FaceBook RSM Owners club

me joined!