Search results

1. Edison

New Controller-The Vertex Cereba

This looks awesome. A controller that has a touch screen, runs on the Android platform and has the feature set of the Neptune and more. Here's the press release. Looks like they are still in beta so it might be a little while until we can get one. I'm still waiting for my Android powered...
  2. Edison

Tank Upgrade: RSM 130D to Marineland 70-Gallon Cube

Time to get a bigger tank! There are just too many corals out there to fit in the RSM so we decided to go with a 70- gallon cube tank from Marineland, a filtration system from Jeff at Lifereef and lighting from Acan. The stand I decided to build myself-the quotes I got from custom furniture...
  3. Edison

Hanna Alkalinity Checker-Free Upgrade!

If you bought the first version Hanna Alkalinity checker you are entitled to a free upgrade. In the upgrade kit you will get liquid reagent, a one ML syringe and two more curvets with caps that don't leak. Using the checker is much easier now as you don't have to shake the test vial for 5...
  4. Edison

Thinking About Upgrading to a Marineland

It's time for another tank as the RSM 130D is getting pretty full and there are so many more corals (and a couple fish) that we'd like to have living happily in the living room. After looking around a bit, we really like the Marineland cube style tanks and was wondering if anyone has...
  5. Edison

How about Taptalk for Smartphones

Hey there Admins! There's a really nifty plug-in that you can install on Vbulliten that makes browsing forums much easier for those of us that use Android, Blackberry, IPhone and Nokia smartphones. Here's the skinny from the website: and you can check out the Taptals site here...
  6. Edison

Small Cracks in Base Support of RSM 130D

I was just doing a water change & cleaning the skimmer when I noticed these little cracks at the bottom of the right side support. It looks like the veneer on the right side/bottom edge is beginning to separate from the rest of the support, just a little, it goes about 3/4" back. On the left...
  7. Edison

Dosing Pump or CA Reactor

My tank's inhabitants have a keen hunger for CA and KH and it's gotten to the point that I'm dosing 30 ML twice a day of these two additives. I was all set to buy a dosing pump but as always fate intervened -I got an email from Jeff at Lifereef and he was asking about another computer he'd...
  8. Edison

I Thought I Lost My Wrasse the Other Evening!

So a couple days ago I did water change and a little while later I went to check th tank only to discover the Wrasse was way in the back of the tank with his head pointed straight down and his back fin kind of facing up and to the right a bit-it was curved. I though he might be sleeping and...
  9. Edison

Some Images From the Local LFS

Our local LFS has asked us to build them an e-commerce site so they can begin to sell their corals and fish nationally. I went there today to take some photos and these are some of the better ones.
  10. Edison

Name that Nem

No ideas as to what to name our new anemone?? :turntable Taken with a Nikon 105 mm macro lens at ISO 1000 under actinic and moonlights with a tripod. Color was adjusted by eye and it's very close to what the nem looks like under those lights.
  11. Edison

Great Little Phosphate Meter

I was having issues with the API Phosphate test kit, the color difference between 0.00 and 0.03 is nearly identical so I was looking around for a different test kit and came across this little tester. It's a spectrometer that will measure down to 0.01 and costs less than $50. I just...
  12. Edison

Best CA and KH Additives?

I'm just about out of the B-Ionic CA and KH additives and am ready to order a couple more one-gallon jugs and was wondering what folks here prefer? I've read a lot of good things about Two Little Fishies and have been considering giving their juice a go. Also, I'm thinking about getting a...
  13. Edison

It's Time For a New Lens

The lens that came with my Nikon D700 is not up to what you'd expect from Nikon. In fact, the 24-120 is on the list of the 10 worse lenses made by Nikon. I'm looking at the Nikon 20-70 F-2.8 and also the Sigma which is also a 24-70 with a max aperture of 2.8. From what I have read the...
  14. Edison

Big Jay! BSJF Loves Your Feeder

If he's really hungry, Spot will swim right up to the feeder and wait for a blast of food. Usually though he stays a few inches away and waits for the food to drift towards him.
  15. Edison

WTT RSM 130D Mods for Purple Hornet

I just upgraded to a Lifereef Sump/Fuge/Skimmer and so have a Tunez Nano skimmer and a Media Rack up for grabs. I'd like to trade for one Purple Hornet or I will sell both for 75 plus shipping. I also have a RSM 130D hood with extra set of lights which is free but you have to pick it up.
  16. Edison

Branch Looking Object Next to my Brain

This just appeared this morning, it kind of looks like a worm casing perhaps but I don't see anything inside of it. The object appears to be hollow.
  17. Edison

RS Wavemaker and Positioning of Power Heads

I recently found a used Red Sea Wavemaker on eBay and was wondering how other 130 owners position the power heads? I picked a couple of Koralia nano heads at the LFS & I already have one. Right now, all corals are located on the bottom half of the talk. I'm saving the top area for SPS but we...
  18. Edison

Insect-Like Creature

I just spotted this little guy crawling on the front. What might he be?
  19. Edison

Refugium-What To Use for Substrate

The refugium shipped today and should arrive in about a week. I've been trying to decide what to use as a substrate in it. We want to be able to grow pods and also some macro algae & would also like the substrate to host anaerobic bacteria to help with nitrate processing. Right now, the tank...
  20. Edison

Top Dimensions of 130D Please

Would anyone happen to know the size of the inside dimensions of the top area? I have to fabricate a cover so Spot (a BSJF) does not jump out. He managed to jump into the sump area but was rescued and put back in the tank. Right now, I have the open area cordoned off with some bridal veil and...