Search results

1. JHamilton0170

New RO/DI questions.

I just installed a new RO/DI system to replace the RO system I had. I need to plumb it so I have RO/DI for ATO and water changes and just RO for drinking water. I have a 5 gallon pressure tank for the drinking water. Where should I collect and store the water for water changes? Do I need...
  2. JHamilton0170

Quit Clowning Around

I've had a pair of ocellaris clowns for over 2 years. One is considerably bigger than the other. They have never shown any aggression toward eachother but they are always dancing around. They are hosting my bubble coral. Don't know if they are a mated pair ... I've never seen any eggs...
  3. JHamilton0170

New fish on the way

I've focused more on corals the last few months, and decided it's time to put more fish in my tank. Right now I have 2 ocellaris clowns and a bicolor dottyback. The new fish, arriving tomorrow are: One Spot Foxface, Lemonpeel Angel, 6-Line Wrasse, 3 Blue Chromis, and 2 Peppermint Shrimp...
  4. JHamilton0170

Superglue Gel

What's the secret to using superglue gel? Can't get stuff to stay stuck! Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
  5. JHamilton0170

Nitrates: Bad test kit?

I'm using the Salifert Nitrate kit and I rarely see any nitrates. I've gone about 3 weeks now without a waterchange and I'm still only measuring 0.1 ppm of nitrates. I am very careful not to overfeed and I keep things clean, but this seems so low. Everyone is always talking about struggling...
  6. JHamilton0170

Hamilton Family 150 Build

I found a 150g tank with a nice wood stand and canopy for $400. It's about a 5 hour drive from me, but I have a co-worker who lives there and he offered to haul it up here on Monday. What a deal, eh? I'm going to keep my 35g hex reef tank in the downstairs bedroom and will put the 150...
  7. JHamilton0170

RS - What a great place

Thanks to RS I met another reefer (coralmadness) way out here in the middle of Wyoming. He generously gave me a nice frag from a beautiful acropora. Then I got to meet his family and see his amazing tank and he gave me another frag from his red montipora. A big thanks to Ron! I hope I can...
  8. JHamilton0170

Moving Tank - Tips?

I'm moving my 35g hex this weekend and would like some advice. It's in the basement right now and I will be moving it upstairs. I'm planning to put the rocks, corals, and all the livestock in buckets and drain the tank down to the sandbed. Then I'll set it all up in the new location and fill...
  9. JHamilton0170

Sudden specific gravity drop

I've been checking my water params every couple days because I'm raising my Ca with Kalkwasser... My sg has been holding steady at 1.024 forever.. Last night it was 1.020 (using a refractometer)! Also, my pH went from 8.1 to 7.7. I don't get what caused the sudden changes. The only think...
  10. JHamilton0170

Major Re-Build of my 35g hex

My current setup is just barely functional. I thought about scrapping the whole setup and building a new and BIGGER system, but because of space limitations, I think I'll just upgrade and modify my 35g hex DT. Here's a partial list of what I'm planning: -Sump: Currently I have a custom...
  11. JHamilton0170

I have a sick brain!!

Yes, the title is correct.. but I'm talking about the one in my tank. I've had it for about a month and it has been gradually getting smaller and losing it's color. I've tried moving it to shaded areas .. brighter areas .. low flow .. higher flow. nothing seems to help. My water parameters...
  12. JHamilton0170

35g Reef Tank - about 3 years old

Hello RS! I haven't posted anything here in about 2 years, but I've had my tank going the whole time and I read this forum a lot. Figured it was about time to get more involved. I think I got all my pertinent info in my signature. We'll see if it posts. The only picture I have on here...
  13. JHamilton0170

Bubble Algae attached to coral

Hi. Hoping I can get some advice on what to do. Our Pineapple tree coral is being "attacked" by what I believe is bubble algae. I tried to gently pry the algae away from the coral, but it is attached pretty firmly. To add to the problem, the coral is attached to a small piece of the frag...
  14. JHamilton0170

Tube-like fisherman in Candy Cane coral

Hi all, We have a new critter sprouting up through our candy cane coral. It seems to send out a line, and suck it (reel it) back into itself after catching floating matter. I've attached a pic. Is it a tube worm of sorts? Happy New Year to y'all. Jennie
  15. JHamilton0170

Long overdue update - 35gal reef (our corals)

Hi all, it's been a long time since we've posted so here's our update: We're in the early stages with our reef tank. We have a neon pineapple coral that is THRIVING! Our Pink Birdsnest coral is growing nicely, The candycane coral is continuing to grow and impress us, and last but not least...
  16. JHamilton0170

String of ??? - blobs/eggs/hydroids ???

Hi all. We're starting to see creatures and have looked throughout the forums and Google but have a question about what this is and if it's good or bad. Thanks.
  17. JHamilton0170

Spiral glass clinger

Hi all. We're starting to see creatures and have looked throughout the forums and Google but have a question about what this is and if it's good or bad. Thanks.
  18. JHamilton0170

Powerhead cavitation causing micro bubbles

Hi all, One of our powerheads (Aquaclear 50) which was, incidently, twice the cost of our other powerhead, sends out bursts of micro bubbles approx every 30 seconds. The powerhead is FULLY SUBMERGED (top of powerhead is 4" below the water surface, it is not near live rock or other...
  19. JHamilton0170

Marble Sea Star Damaged on Arrival

Looking for a little help from the experts as we are still newbies. We have a 35g Reef with 15g sump/refugium - born 1 month ago. It has 70# of figi live rock and a 4" sandbed (half livesand, half aragonite). We've been slowly adding some livestock the past week ... CUC, a few coral frags...
  20. JHamilton0170

High pH

Hi all, We started our 35 gallon reef aquarium Oct 1st (2009). We checked the pH when there was only RO water and spec gravity=1.021. The pH was 9.0. We have since added live rock, live sand, and cleanup crew. We have done water changes. We have added no suplements of any kind. We are running 2...