Search results

1. Tuscaquatics

First tank - first batch of hitchers. HELP!

Yeah, the worm is definitely a brittle star. I have a 10 gallon that has a lot of small rocks that I got from my buddy's refugium. Every rock in there has these guys in them. At night sometimes I get a flashlight and usually find them on the glass. They usually stick their arms out of the...
  2. Tuscaquatics

Sea slug hitchhiker ID...

Well, actually someone on ReefC***ral ID'd it as a scutus snail. Sometimes called elephant slug.
  3. Tuscaquatics

Thanks. I've been there before. Unless you have an idea of what you're dealing with, good luck finding what you're looking for there. The whole point is for someone who has seen one before to ID him.
  4. Tuscaquatics

OK, so I found this little feller crawling around on some of the coral skeletons in my tank. I haven't added any rock or anything like that in at least 2 or 3 months. So I guess he's been hitchhiking for a while. Anybody know what he is? He's about 3/4 of an inch. His body is either...
  5. Tuscaquatics

Damsel won't leave new yellow tang alone!

Sounds like good advice. I was thinking of trying this before I tore it all down. Do you think I need to literally rearrange it, or could I get by just picking some big rocks up and moving them around then putting them back? Every other time I've done anything like that they all act terrorized.
  6. Tuscaquatics

Damsel won't leave new yellow tang alone!

I just added a small (3 inch) yellow tang to my 55-gallon reef. I have a striped damsel in there that has been there all along. The damsel gets along with my LM blenny and cinnamon clown just fine. But since I added the tang a couple hours ago, the damsel won't leave him alone. He's chasing...
  7. Tuscaquatics

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin Hey, Santa. By mass I was talking about detritus, uneaten food (same thing) and whatnot. I think John was, too. What I was getting at was the notion of taking out all sponges or other kinds of mechanical...
  8. Tuscaquatics

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin What do you know? They're already here. Two new Koralia 3's. How do you guys think I should set them up. I realize it's somewhat subjective. How about each one in the back top corner blowing down and...
  9. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin Blowing the detritus off of the rocks and out of the corners seems to have helped some with the cloudiness. I also put some of that filter floss (the cottony stuff) in the power filter to catch the detritus...
  10. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin Two new Koralia 3's on the way to blast that detritus out of every nook and cranny.
  11. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin Yeah I basted the rocks. There was some detritus on the rocks. I'm ordering new powerheads tonight to help with dead spots.
  12. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin Since I got a skimmer (albeit a SeaClone) I feel a lot safer. The scrubber is still working well, but I feel like the ATS is better for simply algae control, not as an all-in-one filtration method. And one...
  13. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin I use Walmart distilled water for water changes. The ChemiPure was moist. It's a whitish cloudiness. I don't test for phosphates, heard most tests are worthless. I don't have much of a bioload in the...
  14. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin What is Maloney wrong about? Why won't a skimmer inhibit growth? If it's pulling organics out of the water before they become nitrates or phosphates, wouldn't that result in less nutrients to feed the...
  15. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin Good post. I'm running a skimmer now. I've tried carbon and a massive water change. And the pic of the scrubber is old so there's different stuff growing on it now. I need to take some new pics and put...
  16. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin I'll post some pics tomorrow. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I don't want to ditch the ATS. Actually there's a couple in my gallery. But I'll post better ones tomorrow.
  17. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin So what do we think could cause the algae to give off spores? Maybe an improper lighting schedule? I try to leave it on for 18 hours a day, but I don't have it on a timer and occasionally I miss turning it...
  18. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin Thanks for the advice, Chris. I've thought about this. In almost any other situation this might work, but with the ATS, there's the issue of what to do with the screen while it's not being run. It took...
  19. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin We're still claiming ATS doesn't ever cause cloudiness?
  20. Tuscaquatics

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin Scrubbers don't cloud the water? Are you serious? That's one of the downfalls that we've been talking about all along here. Do I really need to go back to one of the four thousand threads you've started...