Search results

1. M

Biolumiscent Plankton

In posting this, I briefly mentioned bioluminescent plankton that I saw while night diving in the Persian Gulf once. Has anyone ever successfully kept any in a tank? Can it be purchased anywhere? I'd like to know! Best, Pex
  2. M

Tanks Temps...

I want to stir the pot a little here by playing Devil's Advocate and applying (what I assume to be) well thought out logic. I don't mean to cause an argument, but I hope to create some good discussion by challenging "conventional wisdom" regarding tank temperatures. It seems to me that we are...
  3. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

Here I am, filling up both "tanks", if you will... lol... And here we are filling up the sump through the overflows... There's something really unnatural and unnerving about having a running garden hose in your living room! Ya, I'm using tap water right now. There's nowhere local to get...
  4. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

Ok... we're circulating fresh water through the system... i've got a serious case of the gurgles! Lol... been reading about Dursos and the like and I think ill be building a couple in the next couple of days. Also I think i'll be getting rid if the hard connection between the return pump and...
  5. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

The bulkhead joint is holding water... going for a full tank fill!
  6. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

Stage 1 leak test- closed the valves under the bulkheads and filled the overflows to test the bulkheads and wet side of the valves under no pressure. The return bulkhead on the right side (third from left in pics) leaking where I glued it to the PVC for the valve. Of course it's leaking from the...
  7. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

Well, today is leak test day! I'm going to fill the dump about half way with fresh water anleave the stovepipes out of the overflows and have the returns dump right back into the overflows.... if all runs well for about 2 hours, I think I'll make the leap and start filling up with.saltwater...
  8. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

Almost done with the plumbing. Man, one lesson learned this time is: Build your own stand. The AGA tank is great, but the stand leaves almost no room to plumb and run electrical in, especially when you're using all 1" pipe with unions and ball valves. Anyway, here's a shot from back a few feet...
  9. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

I fixed the links... my bad!
  10. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

SON of a BEACH! WE have SAND!!! This is two bags of 30 lbs of Aragamax White Oolite 00930- I may add a third bag, I'm still undecided yet though. When I opened the box, my heart sank a bit because it looks tan, not white, and I was set on having stark white sand. But under the 14k lights, I...
  11. M

frags or colonies

42. Arthur Dent can tell you why.
  12. M

Palau and Yap

I know this is too late now, just saw this post... but I was in Guam... the diving is pretty similar. Hope you had fun, I'm jealous!
  13. M

Divers: volunteer to restore coral reefs and cultivate coral in Key Largo, Florida

Re: Divers: volunteer to restore coral reefs and cultivate coral in Key Largo, Florid When I lived in Guam we did something similar to this from time to time- we'd go pick up the trash off the reefs. Guam is a bit of a dichotomy- some of the most pristine water and reefs in the world where...
  14. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

Oh ya, and glass-holes.com gives you gum and candy in your shipment! :-)
  15. M

MrPex's 120 AGA build

So the big day comes... salt, sand, sumps, pumps, bulkheads, beer, heaters and hookers (:oh:) arrived via FedEx and UPS... cardboard boxes and styro peanuts EVERYWHERE on the living room floor :snowski:!!! It was even better than getting my Red Ryder Range Model 200 Shot Air Rifle with the real...
  16. M

Bulkhead question

Awesome. Thanks Blake...
  17. M

Bulkhead question

Thanks for the info jp. I ended up getting slip x slip because I felt more comfortable with the security of glue vs. Teflon tape 'just because'. Ugh, but which way do they go in? I assume the gasket goes on the wet side, but do I put the threaded end in from the wet side too and screw on the...
  18. M

AGA tank stand

Thanks jim, just got home with the 40 gallon AGA breeder sump and found out through the top is the only way... good thing I'm still dry... Ok, the stand will hold good but the tank? With no support underneath the bottom glass at all, even across the middle???? :eek:
  19. M

AGA tank stand

So I'm getting ready to put water in my new 120 this coming weekend but I have a question about the stand... It's the standard black pine stand that AGA sells with their aquariums but the tank is only supported around the perimeter- there is no support underneath the thank except for directly...
  20. M

Bulkhead question

Thanks... Anyone know if I need to order the gaskets GH sells or do gaskets come with the bulkheads?