Search results

1. fivel

MH bulbs vibrating and shutting off...

I have a light fixture with 3, 250W MH single end bulbs. I bought the fixture brand new from ebay and everything worked fine on arrival. I had a stock bulb burn out about 2 months after I received the fixture, so I bought 3 brand new bulbs and kept the remaining two as backups. Lately I have...
  2. fivel

Bulb Replacement and Brand...

So... I already had a MH bulb burn out on my new MH/T5 fixture and am just going to buy 3 new 250W 14k bulbs to replace the 3 that are there since their reliability has less than impressed me. The bulbs do not have a brand name on them but do say HIT 250W - 14000K on the glass of them. It's...
  3. fivel

Frogspawn Placement / Light Distribution

I got a piece of frogspawn on saturday with 7 heads and have read that it likes medium/high light with a bottom placement. I placed mine so the hard mass of the coral is sticking horizontally out of a rock towards the bottom of my tank. It looks cool in the tank because it's so full that you...
  4. fivel

I'm officially a believer...

So... every other post on these forums is stressing how important T5 or MH lighting is for housing anemones in a home aquarium. I've taken most of it with a grain of salt because I have successfully kept many anemones using just PC lighting on my tank - my current purple tipped sebae being a...
  5. fivel

New Additions...

New green zoa colony 3 Head Ricordia Xenia and green encrusting coral - No idea what the encrusting coral is but it looks cool :)
  6. fivel

New Refugium under existing setup

So... looking at my setup last night... and knowing what I know now from spending the last 2 months siphoning information from you guys... I am pretty sure I need to have a bigger refugium under my tank. I have a 135g reef tank and a *drum roll* 10 gallon refugium. There's no equipment in the...
  7. fivel

Potential DIY Canopy with T5 & Moon Lighting

After the less then great experience with my new MH/T5 fixture... there were several things that occurred to me about my tank and lighting in general. Regardless of what lighting system I upgrade to, i'm going to have to screen while my tank adjusts from my old PC fixture, so I'd rather get it...
  8. fivel

Better late than never...

I guess I never actually introduced myself, just jumped right into asking questions. I started off with freshwater fish in a 45 gallon bowfront right out of college - so about 10ish years. After seeing the colors that saltwater had to offer vs freshwater, i migrated over back in 2004. In...
  9. fivel

Lighting Adjustment

I have a 135g reef aquarium running off of 4 - 96w PC. The tank is 4 years old and most of the corals in the tank range from 3 months to 2 years in the system. I just purchased a new lighting fixture today, 72" 3 - 250W MH with 4 - 54W T5s. When the new lighting system arrives, I don't want...
  10. fivel

Adorable Clown Bonding...

I've been eyeing a black and white ocellaris clown at my LFS for the last 3 months now and finally caved in last night. Accompanied with a bubble tip anemone as a possible host for him, I accliminated them for roughly 3 hours after I got home. I put the anemone in first in the hole in my live...
  11. fivel

Droopy Leather

My leather coral seems to have a good color and all of the polyps are fully open - the only thing that seems odd at times is instead of being relatively straight, the branches seem to sag a bit. Is this normal for this type of Leather.
  12. fivel

Hitchhikers randomly appear

I haven't added anything for 6 months and just noticed today while acclimating some new fish that I had some critters I had never seen before. The first is what appears to be an anemone or a the one type of critter that is mistaken as an anemone but really isn't ( I can't remember the name...
  13. fivel

Noob Veteran looking to upgrade lights

I've had saltwater fish tanks for about 6 years now, my current 125 gallon setup for the last 4 of that. Although I know a fair amount about what I can get away with in my tank, I'd like to step it up to the next level to truly enjoy the beauty this hobby has to offer. I've learned the hard...