Search results

1. Jerome

Red Alert! 100 Gal reef tank crashing!

I helped my brother set up his 100 gallon reef tank about 10 months ago. He's running metal halides, Tunze protein skimmer and wave box, calcium reactor, refugium, no sand, and his tank did great for 9 months. Two months ago, while he was on vacation, his RO top off unit leaked at a joint into...
  2. Jerome

Rubble zone reef tank..?

I have taken down my old 50 gallon SPS/mixed reef tank and am setting up a new 100 gallon reef tank. I am basing my set up on Scott Michael’s book Reef Fishes. I want to set a more natural (artificial) tank that represents a specific part of the reef. I have done lots of research mainly out...
  3. Jerome

Blenny Hurt

My bi-color blenny has a nasty looking wound below his head on his back. It seems to have scabbed over and its out and feeding so I leaving him alone and believe that he will fully recover. I have had the same fish for years and have never seen any other fish harass him in any way before or...
  4. Jerome

Tunze ballast soundling like a smoke alarm?

This morning when I woke up my Tunze Wavemaker’s ballast sounded like a smoke alarm so I unplugged it. Anyone know why? I am still at work was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful information. I will look at the manual when I get hope. Thanks for any advice I can get…
  5. Jerome

Recipe

I have been using Liquid Life Marine Plankton Cycolpeeze was wondering if there is a recipe to duplicate it? Was thinking Cycolpeeze + Salt Water + Selcon mixed together and kept frozen as this is how Liquid Life Marine Plankton Cycolpeeze recommends there product is stored. I was thinking...
  6. Jerome

Update

It’s been a long time since I have posted graduate school, work, and fish tank taking up all my time, but things are slowing down a tiny bit. For those of you who have forgotten I have a 50 gallon reef tank including 15 gallon refugia and 20 gallon sump. 2 - 10k MHs and 2 – 65watt...
  7. Jerome

Changing Calcium Reactor Problem

Hey everyone its been ages since I have a chance to post my life been accelerated lately also know as been way to busy. So, I waited till I had a problem to sponge some free advice. I been running my 60 gallon reef (sps) for a long time with a Deltec 509 Calcium Reactor and a Deltec...
  8. Jerome

Interceptor? HELP!

I lost my half Inceptor pill which is by veterarian perscription only medicine to treat acro red bugs. I went to my local vet and asked for some and explained what I wanted to use it for but they wouldn't give me the time of day (coral haters!). I heard you could order it from Canada without a...
  9. Jerome

Lighting and Coraline Algae

My reef is set up as a shelf and it's a SPS only tank it looks great except there is no coraline algae growing on the light side of the shelf. I thought I would wait and eventually the shelf where all the coral are growing will be over grown by the SPS which is happening. The bottom of the...
  10. Jerome

Red Bug Treatment

I gave my first treatment of Interceptor last weekend which greatly reduced my red bug population. I have seen one or two since then I wondered if this was normal since the recommedation is three treatments. The thread I read made it seem like the first treatment should of killed them all and...
  11. Jerome

Red Bugs

So I found some red bugs on my SPS last night GRR so I went and read the thread by Dustin Dorton from ORA about using Interceptor, but before using that I was considering some other options. Taking out all my crabs and shrimps would be a lot of work. I also read that it was basicaly...
  12. Jerome

Brown Stuff On Rocks

I know my photo sucks it's the best my camrea could do but you can see the brown/yellowish stuff growing on it. I have noticed this brownish yellow stuff on my rock. I don't have any coraline algae growing in some areas of my tank do to the 2 10k 150w MH which see to be to bright for it.. The...
  13. Jerome

Before and After

I took these photos at different angles, I just wanted to show the growth I have gotten in fairly short time. If you look at the purple tips and compare the first one you can see the difference...It's grown over an inch close to two inches in some parts during this time, though it's hard to...
  14. Jerome

Eggs?

Any guesses? Round solid cirlces rising up in a semi circle. There not spirorbids...they appeared suddenly.
  15. Jerome

SPS corals full maricultured heads +1 wild for sell.

I have 2 full maricultured heads for sell and 1 wild. I have had some for a long time and some not so long. My favorite yellow Acro is over taking my tank so I am moving them out to make room for it. I live in the SF bay area. Small plain yellow with purple tip. Maricultured $45...
  16. Jerome

1,000 humpback whales to be slaughtered

Japn is planning on killing 1 thousand whales for "scientific research" even though the final product will end up on the sheves of Japanesse grocery stores. The specific whales will be primarily humpback. For all of us whom love the ocean please take sometime to take action here are some...
  17. Jerome

Grow Tank Up and Running

My grow tank is up and running here are some pictures:
  18. Jerome

Ode to "grow out tank" Joy!

This was my wife anniversary present to me today! I finally have a place to put all the poor frags on the bottom of my tank. It should be up by the end of the week!~ I had the aquamedic 150watt MH HQI already and added a coralife 10k bulb. I plan on using black eggcrate to make a shelf...
  19. Jerome

New SPS

I got this sps at the lfs. I don't normally go to this place, but there selling off their sps corals... I got this for $45 and it's very violet in color don't know if my camera does it justice! :whstlr:
  20. Jerome

ZEOvit

ZEOvit is the newest thing I have heard of in reef aquaria methodology. What do you think of it???? Yeah, I think it's just a way to sell new equipment to people but what do I know? http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i3/zeovit/Zeovit_system/zeovit.htm