Search results

1. Q

2 fish and 1 shrimp DEAD due to faulty heater

Thanks, I'll look into that. The main heater is also a Rena Cal and it's still ok, but the one I had in there for backup apparently went bad and stayed on constantly......
  2. Q

2 fish and 1 shrimp DEAD due to faulty heater

Crappy day. Didn't notice the water had got so hot until I stuck my hand in to get the veggie clip out to feed my tang. 90 degrees. Apparently, the thermostat on one of the two Rena Cal heaters and it never shutoff when it reached the set temp. So now I'm down to one fish and a handful of...
  3. Q

Naso Tang not eating his veggies

No more calls please, we have a winner! Got up this morning and the brown algae I put in the clip was gone. Maybe he waited until lights out to do munchin'? Just put a new piece in and he's already nibbling on that! :-)
  4. Q

Cool, I'll just wait him out and see how he does then. Aside form that he seems to be adjusting well. Hiding less and less each day!
  5. Q

Hey y'all, I picked up a Naso Tang the other day. He's eating meaty foods just fine but won't touch any of the Seaweed Selects Green or Brown algae. I've tried soaking it in some Entice too. I want to make sure he get's his veggies so he'll stay healthy. Any ideas? Thanks David
  6. Q

Yellowtailed Damsel

I'm not a fan of damsels, although the yellow tails are not supposed to be as ornery as the regular blues. I'd stay away from them, they're a PITA to catch if you ever do decide you wanna get them out of your tank.
  7. Q

Breeding Clown fish

Yeah I had thought about that. When I had my angels, they would quit spawning for maybe a month and then get right back down to business! I hope the clowns recover as quickly. I really didn't see much of a choice for now. It was move them to the sump or move the jawfish out. They already ate his...
  8. Q

Breeding Clown fish

Well, since my two clowns have apparently paired up, I'm setting up a separate tank for them. I figure it will be better for all involved. The other fish won't be stressed from the clowns being so territorial and the clowns will have a less stressful environment in which to spawn. That being...
  9. Q

ARRGH! Something ate the tail fin off of my jawfish!

Update, I found the culprits. It was the clowns. Caught them ganging up on him. They had him cornered. What's werid is, the jawfish doesn't mess with anybody unless they come too close to his burrow then, he just opens his mouth real wide but never goes after anyone. Clowns have been moved to...
  10. Q

ARRGH! Something ate the tail fin off of my jawfish!

Got home from dinner to find my Pearl Jawfish hiding behind the overflow tank. Upon closer inspection, I notice that his tail fin is gone! WTH? I guess we have a whodunnit. Could it be the Damsel that has been flicking sand on the Jawfish with it's tail? (BTW I notice the damsel is doing this...
  11. Q

Damsel messing with Jawfish?

well so far, things seem to be going better. The jawfish must like having the lights on because that's when he really comes out of his lair. Thanks for all the info! Cool trap BTW!
  12. Q

How about the pics of the trap Reefer? ;-)
  13. Q

Well, the Jawfish does look a little bummed. He's usually hovering in his burrow, and inch or two off the bottom, today he's laying on the bottom like he's trying to get as low as he can to avoid being seen. I've seen mama clown go right down into his burrow, which freaks the jawfish out...
  14. Q

Hey y'all, I just recently added a Pearly Jawfish and I think he's finally settled on where he wants his burrow to be. I've got a Blue Damsel (yeah bad idea I know) left over from cycling the tank over a year ago. The Damsel will occasionally go over to the Jawfish's burrow and use it's tail to...
  15. Q

Yellow Tang not eating, color change

Thanks Lee! I'll check into those. I had pretty much resigned myself to buying new API liquid test kits every year just to make sure they're "fresh". Sounds like the Salifert stuff is higher quality? Thanks David
  16. Q

Thanks guys. I think the ammonia problem may have been a false alarm. I tested some just plain old tap water with the same kit and it tested positive. I picked up a new test kit today and it showed 0 ammonia. I'm guessing the other kit went bad. I went ahead and sprung for the API "Master Test...
  17. Q

So are you guys filtering your own water or hauling it in from the LFS every WC? I guess I'll have to look into getting an RO filter? Might not be a bad idea to have one anyway.
  18. Q

The yellow tang didn't make it. I thought he was getting better while we were out of town because my friend that was taking care of the feedings said he was eating. Not a good start to my Monday morning............
  19. Q

Yeah, go ahead a beat me over the head, been using tap since last February when I set it up. I know y'all are gonna bust my chops for not using RO/DI,so let the floggings begin.
  20. Q

Cool, I never was using the Prime to try and control the ammonia, just to remove Chlorine. We'll see what happens. It ended up being a little better than 50%. Someone told me to use prime back when I was raising fresh water angels. I didn't like it back then either and quit using it, but let the...