Search results

1. A

acemow's 30g freshy

Yeah, it takes extra time to clean the gravel, but again, it's worth it. This is a used setup and I am starting slowly, when I have the money, I'll add some authentic pieces to compliment the tank.
  2. A

Chemipure mess

Ditto above. I use Chemi-pure elite in my TLF phosban reactor, I rinse in RO water, and running it through a sump makes a difference. It does clear up pretty quickly. I'd make sure there is filter floss taking up all space around the pack of chemi-pure, too, that also helps
  3. A

acemow's 30g freshy

and one more pic
  4. A

acemow's 30g freshy

Just started a 30g freshwater, low light plants for now until I upgrade lighting, flourite substrate accented with river rock and black gravel, three mickey mouse platies in, day four of cycle. Equipment, two HOB filters. Here are before pics and as progressing, still adding to stand which is...
  5. A

AGH! Ich again, I believe.

For smaller fish, 10g for the short term is fine. I have that size, I even started with a 5g that's now a nano tank. If I want to get a bigger fish, I'll have to get a bigger QT. In the QT, you can medicate if needed so much easier. I think there's a sticky on here about a setup, I use plastic...
  6. A

A Little about Me

Good luck on your new adventure. Post pics when you can of your progress. Happy reefing!
  7. A

Hello!

Hi and welcome! Just take your time and read, read, read. The patience is the payoff. I have a 75 g reef tank and I'm starting a freshwater, and I'm nervous about that, so I understand what ya mean. Happy reefing!
  8. A

AGH! Ich again, I believe.

I agree on the quarantine, I think it's the only way to go. Keep in mind the setup for a QT, simple, bare bottom, darken the sides, simple sponge filter or a HOB without carbon in it, watch levels when it's new, but it's easy to do WC to keep tank stable, cuz you should be using just a small...
  9. A

Any Sand Sifting Critters

I add a couple small red and blue leg hermits, they do a great job cleaning the substrate and the sand sifting star is usually under the sand, as are the nassarius snails, so the crabs don't eat them. Also, keeping the flow good without constantly stirring the sand is a good idea. Happy reefing.
  10. A

My inherited 75 gallon tank

Tank is looking good. I did just lose my Midas Blenny. I've also converted my small QT into a nano tank with a bit of green polyp coral and two black and white damsels, bare on bottom, LR and snails for CUC. It looks nice. My frogspawn was bleaching on one of its branches because I accidently...
  11. A

goodbye to midas blenny

Thank you everyone. I think I will try a younger, smaller one, but like BigJay said, I, too, am noticing a lot of reports of that fish not lasting for very long in tanks, just up and dying for no reason that most reporters have been able to pinpoint. I am keeping an extra extra close eye on the...
  12. A

goodbye to midas blenny

Thank you..
  13. A

goodbye to midas blenny

Just found my midas blenny RIP in the tank. THe CUC is having at it right now but I need to find a way to reach it to take the fishy out. It's the first fish loss in over a year. The other fish have been in tank a couple years. No apparent reason for the loss except maybe that, I believe, the...
  14. A

Light box temps without fan

I'm not totally clear on your fan description but I have a fan in my light box that pushes air out the top of the box, it's a SunPod kit. My 2 MH 150w do create a lot of heat so in warm weather I have a small fan blow across surface of water. When it's cooler in my house, I only run the fan in...
  15. A

Tank making a lot of noise

Here are a couple pics of my overflow box and the flex tube going to sump. I had a recent noise issue. First, my flex tube is too long, room for too much air. Second, I added a piece of tube into the top air hole shown in second pic, I can add a flow adjuster if I need it. Third, my stand pipe...
  16. A

Urgent! Quarantine or not... new aquisition

Al's right, Lee's tips are a great read. I have a small QT also and it's really important to monitor the water parameters and chemistry, ammonia, nitrite and then nitrate consistently and do frequent water changes, the water changes are easy with the smaller tank but the ammon. trite and trate...
  17. A

Septic Tank Issues . . .

Ummm I just dump my old SW and skimmate over the fence on the neighbors' lawn when it's dark out... just kidding although I'd like to. I actually dispose of it in the granite landscape stones around the house, so it doesn't kill grass or drain into the FW canal we live on. Living in SW Florida...
  18. A

Name our Business

The Reef Connection.
  19. A

And here are the new fish in DT. The Midas is a camera hog, like the sailfin, pics are going to be a challenge hahaha!
  20. A

Good thing to have the jump guards because the Midas Blenny and Clown Goby just went into the DT, finished the six week QT period. Now all fish are very active, swimming in the current a lot, no bullying or intimidation going on, everyone ate well, no signs of aggression there either. But with...