Search results

1. beasone

Would a Sally lightfoot eat a small fish?

I had a little baby jawfish, and he disappeared... shortly after adding our clean up crew which included two sally lightfoot crabs. I thought maybe the BF had left the lid open and she jumped.. and he didn't want to tell me... well, bought another one.. even smaller and now she is missing as...
  2. beasone

goby and jawfish?

Can you have a goby and a jawfish in the same tank? 150 gal? And.. how deep does you sand need to be.... I only have about two inches and I feel like my little jawfish baby could use some more. If I can get a goby too, should I get more sand? thanks for you advice! Colleen
  3. beasone

Let there Be Light?

Do you - Should you run your lights during the cycling of a new tank? Does it make any difference?
  4. beasone

Poor Carpet on the wall

The carpet in my old tank seems to want to crawl out and is stuck to the wall now.. we have moved most of the live rock into the new tank; however, did not touch his spot.. still he has crawled up the wall and is half out of the water? Has anyone ever seen a carpet do that? Should I be...
  5. beasone

Is a skimmer necessary on a 150 gal tank?

Ok, disagreement on this on the home front.. BF says we don't need to use the skimmer on our new tank. Can I get some info on those of you that do or don't have a skimmer in your large tank's wet/dry?
  6. beasone

Happy Journey

Here it is .. our new 150 gallon monstrosity! I can't wait to see what the next few weeks bring!!! I have questions..lots of questions! We will be putting in at least 3in of white sand.. and our existing live rock. Before we put in our existing live rock can we put in dry rock? Would love...
  7. beasone

Marco rocks?

Are these 'dead' rocks really the way to go with a new tank? Can anyone speak to using them? Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock
  8. beasone

Low PH

Ok, first apologies.. I am sure there is an existing answer out here; however, when I use the search, I start reading threads.. and get so caught up in the stories.. my short attention span results in hours later and what was I needing an answer to?? So life is good in our tank today, pretty...
  9. beasone

battery back up in the lightning capital of the world?

Time for my weekly silly question: What is the best set up for making sure all pumps remain functional, when the power goes out? Do I get one of those APC battery back ups and plug my pumps into it? I have had a heck of a time trying to get my lights on a timer..first I didn't have the...
  10. beasone

Can my back up water go stale?

I have SW in a garbage can with a powerhead,that is covered tightly. Will it remain usable indefinitely? The numbers on it were good, when I do another water change this weekend should I test it again? Thoughts or experience on 'storing' Salt Water? I have no RO unit... :( and don't make...
  11. beasone

Already a hitch in my giddy up..

took a 32 gallon garbage can and filled it with water and salt and added a powerhead, all ready to use for water change(s), going forward this was something we were not doing with our existing tank, and I was going to remedy that and do a 50% water change this week, then buy a fish. well, BF...
  12. beasone

Ph and Alkalinity numbers?

Happy Sunday! One easy question I think.. I ran the numbers on my water and had what looked like a PH of 8.2. My BF took the water to the LFS and they said our alkaline was low? So, my question is, what should the PH be? The kit I have does a high range, so did they just do a more extensive...
  13. beasone

Where I am in my Journey

Ok, I have an 'established' tank.. which 'eats' fish. So, I am trying to learn how to get it healthy.. You can see it under my gallery. This is where I am at.. I ordered a test kit and all tests are good, Ammonia, Nitrites, PH. Nitrates are around 30 - which I presume is too high. So...
  14. beasone

diatom bloom?

anyone have a pic of what this is? Not a good thing right? How can you tell if you have good anaerobic bacteria? any pics of that? Or can't you see it? (nosuchthingasastupidquestion) :hammerhea
  15. beasone

simple chemical question

NO2 bad? NO3 good? ok ...one more.. what is an ammonia spike?
  16. beasone

I have caught the challenge..

ok, my BF brought a saltwater tank into my life and now I want to get it where things don't die ALL the time. He has given up.. I am going to take over but know nothing <but LOVE a challenge>! It is a 33 gallon long tank and we have two filters, lights, fan, electronic charge thingy.. lots of...
  17. beasone

Hello all! Sick Tang..

I wish I could of joined under better circumstances.. but looking for help. My yellow tang is just swimming in one spot on the bottom of the tank. We checked the water and all is good. I see no sign of disease. He has been that way for a two whole days now.. any clue?