Search results

1. Clownfish518

Hanna PO4 Photometer

Got it in the mail today from TB Aquatics. My new $40 PO4 tester from Hanna Follow the directions, insert the vial, Wait 3 minutes - it has a timer to make this easy And before you know it, you have a reading. This is on my seagrass tank, so no surprise it is low...
  2. Clownfish518

Clown's Cube

One of the great things about working (part time) at an LFS is you get everything wholesale, and the money you make goes straight into the hobby. I have never seen a paycheck lol. On the other hand it makes it too easy to setup tanks. So here is my last build before I move into a bigger space...
  3. Clownfish518

250W SE MH Bulb Recommendation

What is a good 250w mogul bulb? It is a shallow water tank so not looking for a lot of blue; but a little. Do not like the look of my Hamilton 10ks. Is there a good 10k or 12-13k bulb I should be looking at?
  4. Clownfish518

Would like thoughts on algae problem

Okay guys, I have an algae issue and I am hoping that I can get some ideas on how to approach this. I know the mantra on algae control, but this tank is not a typical tank and so I am blazing new ground here. I have a buddy with a very similar setup going through the same issues. I think we...
  5. Clownfish518

SWCSkimmer.com

I pre-ordered one of the new cones from our sponsor, SWC Skimmers SWC is a company in Canada that designs and makes skimmers. SWC Skimmers is a company in Colorado that imports the line into the US. There is a new line of cones coming in, and I pr-ordered one, waiting for the skimmer to...
  6. Clownfish518

Clown's Utopia

Started a new tank build today. The back story is that I have had a 30 gallon sitting around for a few months. A few weeks ago bought a 120 and stand for $300 from someone who was leaving the hobby. So I have been wondering what to do with my empty tanks. For Christmas, along with other...
  7. Clownfish518

Yellow Watchman & Shrimp

I added a yellow watchman and shrimp back on 10/8 (Ernie and Bert). Since then, I have caught a glimpse of Bert now and again, and knew he was doing fine from the constantly shifting sand. But I haven't seen Ernie in over two months. Until today that is Isn't he a...
  8. Clownfish518

Unknown Gastropod

Any idea what this little guy is?
  9. Clownfish518

What is this

This has been growing in a frag tank for several months. Thought it was a soft coral and was waiting for it to develop some more, but it is growing and splitting but staying pretty much the same. It came in as a HH with a shipment.
  10. Clownfish518

ATI Sunpower Par Readings

Today I took some PAR readings of the tank I am setting up. It is a 90 gallon, 48x18x24. It has a 5" sandbed My fixture is a ATI Sunpower, 4x54 watt. I am running 2 UVL Aquasuns, 1 UVL 75/25, and a ATI Blue Plus (its a lagoon tank, not much blue light in lagoons, none really) Here are the...
  11. Clownfish518

Basics of Lighting for Reef Systems

Overview There always seems to be a lot of confusion when it comes to choosing a lighting system for a reef tank. Everyone has an opinion, and it can be difficult to figure out what is the best choice for my system. In this post I will share some of my experience with lighting. For my...
  12. Clownfish518

Watts per gallon

I don't know why, but the saying "you need x-many watts per gallon" to keep corals just won't go away. And in truth its not accurate. Watts is after all a measure of how much energy is used, not how much light is produced. 20-25 years ago when I got into the hobby, there were two kinds of...
  13. Clownfish518

Live Rock

I am looking to get some live rock soon. Where are some good suppliers for LR right now? Haven't gotten any in several years and was wondering what was available
  14. Clownfish518

ATI Lighting Tips

Okay, two tips for anyone who may have an ATI fixture. The first is the transformer is has variable speeds it will run at. The correct setting for the fixture is 4.5 (amps I believe). I tried running it at the max speed, the fixture actually ran hotter. So 4.5 it is (very quiet at that speed)...
  15. Clownfish518

Why I do water changes during the cycle, and other crazy talk

Big Al asked a question this week in another thread that I gave an incomplete answer to, and rather than just hijack a thread I am starting this new one. I made a statement that I do water changes during the cycle of a new aquarium, and I was asked why when the conventional wisdom is that this...
  16. Clownfish518

Clown's Indo-Pacific Lagoon

Now that I am settling into my new home, time to start thinking about a new tank. I haven't figured out everything yet, but I know where I am going with this so its just a matter of working out the details. One thing I have always like about the FW hobby is how they do biotopes, with all the...
  17. Clownfish518

Live Mud and Seagrass

Hey John, I am am planning out my next tank, and I am going with a planted reef aquarium with seagrass. I know I will be best off using all live mud, but I think that will be quite costly and may break the budget. I am thinking of mixing it with CaribSea Ocean Direct Original sand. Is this a...
  18. Clownfish518

WTS Octopus BH300F HOB Protein Skimmer

Downsizing my tanks, have a skimmer for sale. Reef Octopus BH300F Protein Skimmer https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=618 Skims great, makes dark skimmate. Asking $129 shipped
  19. Clownfish518

WTS Reeftek Kalk Reactor

Downsizing my tanks, have a few items to sell. This is a Reeftek Nilsen "Kalk" reactor. I have it hooked inline with an Osmolator (not included); works great. Asking $110 shipped ReefTek.com - Nilsen (Kalk - Kalkwasser) Reactor
  20. Clownfish518

BTA Question

Hey everyone, I have had a BTA in my tank for a few weeks. He does not seem to be thriving, and I wanted to pass something by you. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder, with about 40 pounds of rock in it. The inhabitants are two percula clowns and the BTA. Well, some snails, but they don't...