Search results

1. Clownfish518

Blue Zoo Aquatics

Thanks for the post! I have not bought from Blue Zoo yet; I was planning on getting some CUC from them (yes, I love John at Reefcleaners, but USPS does not provide overnight delivery here) One note on the pistol shrimp - they are not as big as you might expect, and they hide exceptionally...
  2. Clownfish518

Is Starphire Glass worth it?

Starphire is a matter of personal taste IMO. The thicker the glass, the more pronounced the difference is. But the lighting will have more of an effect than the glass in how things look. Its very subjective
  3. Clownfish518

Anemones Nocturnal ????

Virtually no anemones are nocturnal. Most of them are photosynthetic and get the majority of their nutrition by light. The exception to this would be the tube anemones, cerianths. If the anemone shrinks during the day, maybe the lighting is not to its liking. What sort of nem and what kind...
  4. Clownfish518

XM 250w on Probe start ballasts?

SE or DE? The SE bulbs should work on an M58 ballast. I don't think the DE bulbs will, which could be where the contradiction is. If it were me, I would get a electronic ballast. They use less electricity and pay for themselves in savings.
  5. Clownfish518

Clown's Indo-Pacific Lagoon

Sorry to say my tank maintenance has fallen behind due to an injury. Should be up and about soon and will to get everything back to normal and pictures up.
  6. Clownfish518

Wild V. Domestic

Anemones need to be the right species for clowns to bond with them. There are only 10 species of anemones that are hosts. Can you better identify the anemone species? As far as wild versus domestic clowns, clowns that are not the alpha male or female will remain juvenile their whole lives, so...
  7. Clownfish518

Looking for a great protein skimmer......

I had a BH300f and a Remora in the past. Now using a Warner Marine H1 and much prefer it over all the others. Not as finicky as the BH300F; quieter and better producer than the Remora
  8. Clownfish518

why is cyano bad?

Some species of cyano give off toxins so it can be bad in large amounts
  9. Clownfish518

free banded serpent star

Wondering if the mandarin wasn't ill. They have a toxic slime; they are brightly colored to advertise that they are poisonous to eat. Not many things predate on them. If I was around your area would help you out. Sorry
  10. Clownfish518

NW Impeller Replacement For Aquabee UP2000

could try some of the bubble magus dealers. Some of their skimmers used the aquabee
  11. Clownfish518

T5 4bulb lighting combo

The GE 6500 daylight cuts the blue of the blue plus very well. You could do something like an ATI blue plus, ATI aquablue special, UVL actinic white, and a GE 6500 daylight. Could substitute a KZ Fiji Purple for the actinic white.
  12. Clownfish518

Best Lighting for 72 gallon bowfront?

You might still go hamilton if you can hang pendants. Cayman Sun with a Radium 20k bulb and a Galaxy ballast would not be too expensive. Two pendants would light your tank Softies wiill do fine too once adjusted. Softies will do well under low lighting, but also do well under strong lights. I...
  13. Clownfish518

Best Lighting for 72 gallon bowfront?

If you were just doing softies I might say get a good T5 fixture; but the BTA would do better under MH. Might checkout Catalina lights. Good bang for the buck.
  14. Clownfish518

New 75g 48" long setup - need opinions

The technology Remoras use (spray injection) is pretty noisy as skimmers go. I have an SWC skimmer - an Extreme 160 cone, and it is practically silent. This is on my 90. I will be getting a second one for an 80 I am putting together. If you have a sump, definitely get an in-sump skimmer...
  15. Clownfish518

Soon to be the proud owner of a 300 Gallon Acrylic :)

Sounds cool. Last powder blue I had was eaten by a carpet, so I would be careful how I plan the species. Tangs are not very smart around nems. They see a bit of algae they want and just get too close.
  16. Clownfish518

My sand bed is 2-3"...OH MY!

Its not that 3" sandbed will cause harm precisely. Its that you need a 4" sanbed for denitrfication to take place. Anything less and you won't get it. One of the cons to a sand bed is that they can accumulate detritus and become a nutrient sink. So what you get with a 3" sandbed is all of...
  17. Clownfish518

Any one here With A Octopus?

Really read up on what kind of systems it takes to hold an octopus. I have known people who use cinder blocks or straps to keep the lid on tight enough so the octopus won't escape. Part of their mortality could be that they have short natural life spans. Some species of cephalapods have a...
  18. Clownfish518

Clear little bug creature with tentacles, day 5 in new Biocube 14

I agree (mostly). It is sticking to the glass with the wrong end to be an aiptasia. I say mostly because it looks like a jelly/hydromedusae of the genus Cladonema. They don't get any bigger, so its not a juvi.
  19. Clownfish518

Comparison of lighting sources

I am not very experienced with clams; but am with nems. I have tried different setups and my best results are always MH systems. I am referring to clown host anemones. Other nems like condys are much less demanding light wise.
  20. Clownfish518

compatibility

Tangs have a barb on their tail, like a little scalpel, which they can use as a weapon. Its why they are called surgeonfish. For tangs, the tail is the dangerous end