Search results

1. Reefstick

And so, it begins.... again!

My last post... years ago,l, was about a pistol shrimp mishap that destroyed my 75g show tank. It was nothing more than coral-soup. My wife and I were new parents and it was too much to take in that season of our lives. I played with tanks since, a 90 gallon corner with 30 neons schooling...
  2. Reefstick

Back at it, and out of the loop.

So, after having our two babies. Rachael and I are getting bit once more by the reef bug. If you all remember we had a very nice 75G mixed reef that was our life for about 5 years. After the leak, we broke it down and sold off the livestock and gave the rare items to a buddy to look after...
  3. Reefstick

Bio-calcium

Fellow reefers, I have been using Tropic Marin Bio-Cal for about 18 months now and I like the results, though the price is up there. Do you guys know of a similar type of calcium for less money? I like the convenience of the Bio-Calcium because I don't have to add any buffers with it...
  4. Reefstick

Too much light??? Nah!!!

I am tired of looking at my 30G under PC's. 96W just isn't enough for me. So I am thinking about putting one of my 175W MH 15K units over the tank. However, it may be too much light.... don't know yet. The question is, do you all think I could use only the MH over the tank and put the PC's...
  5. Reefstick

Reefstick's Reef

Hello everyone, Well, I finally went out a picked up a little bigger tank. After the 75G leaked all over the basement floor, I was crushed...... but I have made peace with my anger and now I am ready for re-build. This time however I am going small, When the 75G died I cramed as much coral...
  6. Reefstick

MH only?

As some of you know I take care of a 150G for a local company, it happens to be in there conference room, and gets some indirect morning light. (until about 10:00am.) The question I have is that he wants me to make he tank into a reef. But here is the problem. He only has 72"W x 10"D area...
  7. Reefstick

Leaks suck!!!

I am sorry to report that I am breaking down the 75G reef tank. Last night I came home to 30 gallons of water on the basement floor, not the best thing to come home to. Here is what I plan to do. I am taking all the fish (except the clownfish) to a 150G tank that I take care of, this way I...
  8. Reefstick

OT: I am going to be a Dad!!!!

Well, it is for really this time everyone. Rachael and I are going to have a baby.:thumbup:
  9. Reefstick

Water turn over.

Hey Guys & Gals, I was just reading in an article from the Albert J. Thiel. On coral disease and solutions. But I came out of it with a question. How much water (per hour) should flow from the tank to the sump and back? I have a 75G reef with 15G sump/refugium. If I go by what is written...
  10. Reefstick

Flesh fall out.

Okay so here is the problem. Two days ago my arco. was starting to show signs of stress (ie... polys not fully extended and so on) today I went home to eat lunch and noticed that the base of the coral was lossing flesh, peices of the coral were just falling off. I think I know what to do to...
  11. Reefstick

Closed loop time.

Well, I had one of those days Wednesday. I came home to see one of my power heads had fallen off the glass and was trying to eat my green bubble coral:waa: , I slowly pulled him out of the strainer. and a merical!!!! he is recovering. I don't know what else to say but "thank you God".:angel3...
  12. Reefstick

Brown jelly?????

Can anyone identify this stuff? This happend once before about three or four months ago. It starts out as a brown slimy stuff on one of the red sea xienia stalks and quickly spreds to the rest. The last time this happend it almost took all of the red sea I had, It left two stalks out of like 15...
  13. Reefstick

Baby turbo snail????

Not sure if this is a baby turbo snail or not. Any ideas guys?
  14. Reefstick

Do you use a UV Sterilizer on your reef tank?

How many people use UV sterilizer.
  15. Reefstick

Calcium and Kalk

I need some input guys and gals.....I recently stopped dossing Kalk, because I found a really good Calcium brand (tropic marin) that has been keeping my levels at 430-450. Do you think I should continue putting kalk in even though my calcium stays put now???? The only reason I ask is because...
  16. Reefstick

How long do you run your daylight bulbs during the day?

I always wondered this one. I've herd many different answers to this one. "How long do you run your daylight bulbs?" I personally run mine for 10 hours only because I thought it made sense, being that most of the corals are from the tropics. (But I don't know what the proper time period is)...
  17. Reefstick

New 150 gallon reef

This weekend I started to think about what I am going to put in my new 150 gallon SPS/LPS reef tank as far as fish. What do you guys think about pigmy/dwarf angles in a reef? Also I am going to try an all PVC system this time, a friend of mine gave me a hot tub pump, 4500 GPH :thumbup: It...
  18. Reefstick

MH mounting height

I am sure this question has been asked before. but here goes. I have a 75G reef (Sps, Lps & Softies) with 440W VHO's and two 175W MH's in a custom made hood. :thumbup: I just put the MH on two or three months ago.....I mounted them about 10 inches off the water surface. I wounder is this...
  19. Reefstick

Hello fellow reefers

Thought I would say hello. I am a DIY freak and love plumbing, although my trade is HVAC. I live in Aurora Colorado and have been keeping a reef tank for a few years now.....I was very hesitent to star one because so many of the LFS' around here say it is very difficult. I started with a 12G...