Search results

1. N

RSM 130D and a sohal tang

Hi Irishmarine I have no experience with the sohal tang so won't comment on that. Many RSM owners keep small blue or yellow tangs with great succes though. Eventually they will outgrow the tank but if the tank is not heavy stocked with other fish you should be able to keep them for at least...
  2. N

RSM Owners Nature/Wildlife Pictures, Etc.

Here are a few from my latest trip to the Galapagos:
  3. N

What to use to control Hair Algae ?

Hi Satbert! The Sea Hare is by far the most effective at eating algae but as Reefmack says it will completely remove all algae in your tank within a few days and after that you have to feed him manually with Seaveggies or similar otherwise he will starve to death! Emerald crabs and turbo...
  4. N

Tonight's Topic

Most say that somewhere between 10x-15x the volume of your tank per hour is the optimal flow. The marginal benefit above 10x per hour is small though and very small above 15x. Too much flow is when your rocks are pushed over and all your fish are stock in one place even though they appear to be...
  5. N

Any thoughts on the inch per gallons theory

As with all rules of thumb - they are only rough guidelines. If you use all stock equipment you should probably stick with the rules. With improved filtering, great LR volume, improved skimming and more frequent WC along with greater general care (active management of water quality) you can...
  6. N

How to remove hair algae effectively!

I believe the scientific name is Aplysia dactylomela. In a week or so when I am 100% sure that the algae is defeated I will pass it on to either another reefkeeper or back to the LFS. Normally i would not introduce a critter to the tank that is not sustainable for a longer period but I was...
  7. N

Hi BigAl07 As long as the Sea Hare is in the tank I doubt that any hair algae will have a chance to grow :-D I have introduced additional nitrate and phosphate filters and monitor my water values closely. Time will tell if it works in the long run.
  8. N

Hi I post this thread as I, along with many other reefkeepers, have had the unpleasant experience of having green hair algae taking over the tank to the point where I considered dropping this whole aquarium adventure. I had tried many things: 35% water change 3 weeks in a row (I only use...
  9. N

green algae

Hi Your water tests comes out fine as the algae grows by consuming all the nitrates and phosphates in the water. Turbo/Astrea snails and hermit crabs are not very effective at removing hair algae. For that you need a golfball sized Sea Hare which can easily eat all hair algae in a tank up to...
  10. N

Skimmer performance after External filter?

Hi Reefmack and thank you for your help! That was what I expected :) I am monitoring the nitrate levels weekly and have placed 2 additional nitrate filters to counter any nitrate build up. Furthermore I have placed the filter intake after the StevieT's Media Rack so most of the debris is...
  11. N

Skimmer performance after External filter?

Hi I am the happy owner of a 6 month old RSM 130D where I have replaced the stock skimmer with a Tunze Nano skimmer. The performance of the skimmer was very good until I hooked up a Eheim Ecco Pro external filter 3 weeks ago. The filter is connected after the medie rack in order to reduce...
  12. N

how long for cycle

I used 20 kg of LR from another tank and Red Sea reef base. The water values were stable after just 2½ weeks. After nearly 5 weeks I am still seeing a bit of algae growth but it has decreased quite a lot. My 2 clowns, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and a handful of snails are doing fine.
  13. N

Nashdk's RSM130D

Week 4: I have made a 20% water change and added a Hydor Koralia. The algae growth is under control and the snails are doing their job. Combined with some manual algae harvest I expect the algae growth to be greatly diminished within the next couple of weeks. I have cleaned the stock...
  14. N

Nashdk's RSM130D

Today I introduced 2 clownfish, a coral, an anemone, a red legged hermit crab and 1 more turbo snail to the tank. Algae growth has decreased and the water values are still in line. The two clowns seems to enjoy their new home although they have not shown any interest in neither the coral nor the...
  15. N

Hydor Prime or another external filter

Hi I am considering purchasing an external filter for my RSM 130D to house an active carbon filter and perhaps another filter media, so I can remove the bag of active carbon from below the pumps. I have looked at the Hydor Prime 20 filter for this purpose. Any experience with this?
  16. N

COMPLETELY off topic, but

Looks like a BMW K1300S - nice bike! :) I just ordered a BMW F800S myself. Can't wait! :biker
  17. N

Nashdk's RSM130D

Heh I guess keeping the cabinet in an orderly fashion has a general low priority in here :) redsea_reefer: Thanks for the advice. I probably should get a couple of each instead of more turbo snails.
  18. N

Nashdk's RSM130D

Did not think he looked very nice either so caught him this afternoon..:chainsaw: Week 3: Today I installed the Tunze 3155 Osmolator to the left of the skimmer using the accesory bracket as a mounting point. Worked pretty well if I have to say it my self :bouncer: : My 4 turbo...
  19. N

Nashdk's RSM130D

Found this hitchhiker when I woke up this morning. It looks like some kind of crap. Any ideas what it is? And should I get rid of it?
  20. N

Nashdk's RSM130D

Hi Reefmack. Thanks for the advice :) So far I am only using the 2 stock pumps but I am planning to get a Koralia 1 or a Vortech MP20 in the near future in order to improve the circulation. Is there a huge difference between the two? The Vortech is almost 8 times more expensive than the...