Search results

1. M

He Died, Now What???

Ok, So I think my fish died of Brooklynella. He had patchy discoloration on his body and heavy, rapid breathing. He was also very thin. I had 5 other blue green chromis that died from it in a quarantine. I treated with formalin but it didn't help. So tiny was the last survivor. He got moved...
  2. M

Major Caulerpa Brachypus Problem, Help!!

I have a 55, but I was thinking that maybe a juvenille tang would be good in there for a little while. I read on another forum that a yellow tang would not eat it. So what is a good small tang that will eat anything?
  3. M

Wow, just as I tried to upload a photo of the crap that is taking over my tank, I think I got a virus from a pic of the stuff that I downloaded.How ironic and horrible. So this is the first time I have been on here in weeks. Well anyways, this green weed is taking over my reef. So I need to know...
  4. M

Ok, so I purchased a small colony of pink pulsing xenia, it came attached to this colony of caulerpa. I did not think it would be a prob and figured if I get a tang in the future it would have some natural food to eat. Boy, was I wrong. Over the past few months it has been trying to take...
  5. M

I Have A Dilemma- Does Anyone Know.........

Ok, so here's the problem. I just purchased 2 peppermint shrimp from petco because they are the only place near me that has them and I need them for apstasia. The tank next to their tank that runs on the same filter system had a fish with a bad case of ich. Can I freshwater dip the shrimp before...
  6. M

water changes necessary or not?

I think that if you have a lot of fish, then you need to do water changes more frequently. Personally, I have a 55 gallon reef with about 60 pounds of live rock and about 10 species of coral and 1 small fish, so water changes all the time are not necessary for me. I have t-5 lighting and...
  7. M

It's 1:00 AM and I Just Caught a Bobbit Worm!

Ew, I think I have a couple of those in my tank too. How exactly did you catch it? I want to rid my tank of those as well.
  8. M

Lighting schedule

If you want, you can change your lighting schedule and they will adjust to it. Technically, if you wanted to, you could have your lights come on at noon and go off at midnight, it's all up to you.
  9. M

MACNA XXI 2009 Slideshows lot of pics!

Awesome, thanks, almost like being there.
  10. M

Source water...

I can't afford an ro/di unit and I think my well water would destroy one of those in a few months anyway. The only water that I use is the green label gallon jugs from wal-mart. It is reverse osmosis, it works great. My corals bleached a bit when i used the well water here for a change and my...
  11. M

Flatworm - Acoel Planaria

I noticed that the flat worms liked to gather on the sandbed, so I used a cup and scooped out the majority of them, along with the gravel and rinsed the gravel in the cup with hot water, let the gravel dry for a day or two, then returned it to the tank. now they have seemed to disappear. Guess I...
  12. M

Salt - Which is best?

I use reef crystals, it mixes up way faster than instant ocean and it has added minerals and calcium. I notice coral growth after i do a water change with it.
  13. M

what do you guys think of my tank. any comments

If you want to see coral growth, turn off your skimmer for a while. Also add some actinics and calcium.I stopped using a skimmer a few months back and I have noticed a lot of growth.
  14. M

Tank move did not go well

Do you think that there could have been some bleach residue in the buckets or drums? I know bleach pretty much kills anything it comes into contact with.I would have just rinsed the buckets versus putting bleach in them.I probably would have disturbed the sandbed and discarded as much deitrus as...
  15. M

Heat-tolerant Coral Reefs Discovered: May Survive Global Warming

I don't think they realize it's not so much the temp fluctuations, but the over fishing and over harvesting of the fish, corals and live rock(which is the reef itself).I think a lot of harvesters use dynamite on the reef and this is devastating. They take a section of reef and completely wipe it...
  16. M

Weird white spots on Regal Tang but they really don't seem like ich!?

I thought you are never supposed to use hyposalinity and medications at the same time?
  17. M

2 year birthday.

congrats!
  18. M

I Need Some Advice About My Yellow Polyps......

I have yellow button polyps. I do not have any fish in the tank yet. I have green chromis in quarantine with intestional worms hanging from their butts and I am about to give up on them, as they will not eat the medicated food and me dumping metroindazale and prazi via general cure packets...
  19. M

Aquariums From Around The World

That is absolutely gorgeous- what are the soft corals that are magenta, purple and blue?