Search results

1. trippkid

Maxi Jet mod kit questions

Just stick your finger in to stop the impeller, then it will right itself and spin in the right direction, that is all I ever have to do with the two I still have if they are going the wrong direction, not a big deal really, IMO. Matt
  2. trippkid

Silly plumbing question

There are no dumb questions(I know that is so cliche'). Always better to ask than not. Good luck with your setting up your system. Have a good evening. Matt
  3. trippkid

Silly plumbing question

You either need the two different sizes or use PVC adapters or reducers to match the size you are using. I would probably just use two different sizes of the spa flex. Matt edit: Use what fits nicely inside the bulkhead, 1.5" for the 1.5" bulkhead and 1" on the 1" bulkhead.
  4. trippkid

Euro-Reef calcium reactor CR3

Sorry I can't help with the EuroReef, I have a GEO 618, works great no complaints, very easy to setup. Matt
  5. trippkid

Calcium Reactor - which one

Geo 618 here, love it, no complaints. I did add a second media chamber for more Ca media and Magnesium media to help use up any left over CO2, before going back into the sump. I would recommend using a controller vs. a monitor for controlling the reactor, I don't like using just a bubble count...
  6. trippkid

Tooting My Own Horn!

The types of overflows we have been discussing won't work for this application(I am pretty certain). The best way to do this is, IMO, is to have your refugium drilled for a bulkhead(where you want the water level to be), then a hole in the sump(lower than the hole in the "fuge", but above the...
  7. trippkid

Tooting My Own Horn!

It may help with deciding on your best bet for a reliable overflow setup. Matt sorry, you got it in there before my post.
  8. trippkid

Tooting My Own Horn!

I never try to be, but you know things can be misconstrued just by reading someone's post the wrong way. I just didn't want to see you go wasting money on something you don't want or will give you problems down the road. Check out Lifereef overflows, these are another good brand to try...
  9. trippkid

Tooting My Own Horn!

I am not trying to be rude or anything like that, but you may want to slow down just a little and think through everything, research(I can help with this part), before spending cash for something you may or may not want. Are you getting a new tank(I thought I read that)? If so, and it is not a...
  10. trippkid

Tooting My Own Horn!

That is fine Mya, I just thought I would share. You don't or shouldn't actually have to get any water in your mouth, it is just to get it up and over the tank rim, the water will go to the sump before it even gets close to your lips. Some people have even hooked up some kind of auto-suction to...
  11. trippkid

Tooting My Own Horn!

Does anyone know if it is OK to post links to RC. It explains it all. I will just add I have never used one of these types, so reading the thread, may point out some tips or possible problems with this type of setup. The only thing I am having trouble seeing is durring a power outage, it how...
  12. trippkid

Tooting My Own Horn!

It is the breather tube, to allow for trapped air to escape, if not there, there is a possibilty of hydraulic lock or at the very least slowing the flow of the overflow, because of trapped air, also this is how you would start the flow, by just sucking on the "C" tube will get the flow up and...
  13. trippkid

Tooting My Own Horn!

Mya, if you can't find an overflow, something like this could work for you, and you can build it yourself out of PVC. I don't know if it is OK or not to post links to another forum, if you want it I guess I could PM or email it to you, not sure of the rules here about that. Here is a pic, the...
  14. trippkid

Overflow rate

I know all about that, my current tank started for the wife as a FOWLR, has evolved into SPS dominated tank now. I run about 90X's(give or take) tank volume for flow inside the tank(about the same as you are planning through the sump, maybe a little less, about 1000gph), then a Vortech(100% on...
  15. trippkid

Overflow rate

Then go with the largest pipe diameter you can stand and the pump will handle on the return side. What are your plans for extra flow in the tank? You are still going to need quite a bit more flow to do SPS, IMO. Good luck, sounds like my kind of tank minus the anenome. Have a good evening. Matt
  16. trippkid

Skimmer Reviews

I'd say check out the Reef Octopus HOB skimmers, I don't use HOB stuff, but have read some good comments on these, might be one to check out. Have a good day. Matt
  17. trippkid

Overflow rate

Framerguy has it right. I would use either (1) 1 1/2", (1) 1 1/4", or (2) 1", All three options would do the trick, unless you have zero head loss, then you will have to use the 1 1/2 or 1 1/4(might be hard to find a bulkhead that size, IDK, I've only ever used 1", 1.5", and 2"). What size...
  18. trippkid

Corals withstand low tides

I do this as part of my acclimation process/dipping procedures for all my new corals(SPS only, I don't do LPS or softies anymore, so I can't say how they would fair), after dipping and rinsing with clean salt water, I will let them exposed to air for about 15min, or at least until they slime up...
  19. trippkid

hello new to the site looking forward to meeting and chatting with you all

All my joints and back are pretty racked out(not neccessarily from moto, just abusive to myself over the years I guess), so no more for me either. Sounds like that hurt quite a bit, I don't miss that, I do miss thrashing around though. Have a good weekend. Matt
  20. trippkid

hello new to the site looking forward to meeting and chatting with you all

Hello and welcome to the forum. Do you race or just a fan of it? I am just a fan these days. Have a good one. Matt