Search results

1. smejkald

converting my trickle filter into a sump

thank you.
  2. smejkald

can i do it all at once? just take the balls out and viola. does the algae need a light source?
  3. smejkald

hello again everybody. i was just wondering if converting my wet/dry into a sump is as easy as just removing the bioballs, and would doing this help to keep nitrates down? i have the typical wet/dry i think. where the water drains over top of a divider with holes in it, then over the bioballs...
  4. smejkald

how to care for mushrooms

hello everyone. hope you all had a nice christmas. i was wondering if someone could tell me about mushrooms. i just got one the other day and i dont know what to do for it. i purchased some two part calcium and alk. i measured my calcium today and it was 400. dont have an alk test. here is a pic...
  5. smejkald

i think the hermit crab just ate my xenias.

yeah, i used to have a greek goddess and then another really pretty purple slug or nudibranch but unfortunately they both met an untimely death from suction. i didnt have them long enough for them to eat anything. so it ate your coral huh. i kept hearing all they ate were sponge and that it was...
  6. smejkald

gee i guess i could have the nudibranch things in my tank. if they are tiny then maybe i havent seen them. i didnt buy any thats for sure. at least i dont think i did. hmmm.. does anything eat them?
  7. smejkald

first, what is a nudi? and does the type of hermit crab make a difference. its a black and white one and its left claw is way bigger than the right. im pretty sure that the xenia didnt waste away because i found little clumps of them down on the sand still opening and the rock was completely...
  8. smejkald

hello. so does anyone else have a problem with hemit crabs eating your xenias. i had a real pretty pink one and i noticed my damsel was nipping at it. then one morning the rock they were on was picked clean. a guilty looking black and white hermit crab was sitting on the net i put in there to...
  9. smejkald

bristle worms

thanks everyone.
  10. smejkald

bristle worms

uh huh so 6 line wrasse will eat them. id rather get one of those than an arrow crab. thank you.
  11. smejkald

bristle worms

hello again everyone. i recently purchased some live rock and i saw some bristle worms coming out. what do you know about these guys? i've heard good stories and bad so what's the deal? should i be worried, purchasing arrow crabs, or are they harmless. thanks in advance, melissa
  12. smejkald

The Full Tank Shot Thread!!!

hey i think i have the same tank as melanie.
  13. smejkald

starfish tips curled up

thanks so much Teri. i know that experience speaks volumes. and after 20 yrs im sure you've learned a lot. i guess i will go back to doing water changes. i sort of was interested in finding out if their claims were true, but i guess i wouldnt want all of my stuff to suffer in the mean time...
  14. smejkald

starfish tips curled up

thank you so so much mantid. what kind of treat? i tried fish food pellets and i tried shrimp and i put some coral vibrance near it and now the seaweed. is there something else because i sure havent seen it eating?
  15. smejkald

starfish tips curled up

see the little tip there curled up.
  16. smejkald

starfish tips curled up

see the little tip there curled up.
  17. smejkald

starfish tips curled up

here goes i hope this works.
  18. smejkald

The top 10 Rules?

why is calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity important? is it only for keeping corals?
  19. smejkald

starfish tips curled up

you guys are really startin to make me feel guilty. i know they would only benefit from it. so in a 75 gallon tank with probably 40 lbs of rock how many gallons would i have to change a week?
  20. smejkald

chemistry woes, please advise

you're so funny Al. lol