Search results

1. chipmunkofdoom2

Emergency Battery Backup 2.0 - New and Improved!

Hi All! So a while ago, I created a post about battery backup for our tanks. The system still works and the concepts still apply, but it's not the most elegant of systems. In the event of an outage, you have to drag out your battery, drag out your inverter and manually attach everything. Not...
  2. chipmunkofdoom2

Chipmunk's 10g Office Tank

Hi everyone! Before we get started, the latest FTS of this tank can always be found here. Okay, now that we have that out of the way, down to business! I used to be pretty active on this site, but life has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. There has been good, bad, and everything in...
  3. chipmunkofdoom2

4 Cerith Snails - Free to good home!

Hi all. I'm breaking down my tank and I have 4 cerith snails that I'm giving away. That's right, all you have to do is drive to my house and get them! I live in Harford County, MD. The tank is already broken down and these guys are living in a bucket. Would appreciate getting rid of them as...
  4. chipmunkofdoom2

AGA 65G Drilled With Stand - $250 OBO

Hi All, For sale is an All Glass Aquarium 65 gallon (or about that size) aquarium with stand. The aquarium is drilled with an overflow built in. The seals are in good shape and don't (by my approximation) need to be re-done. The stand does not seem to have a brand name and was not included...
  5. chipmunkofdoom2

2 Grade B Picassos from Doni For Sale - $100 - Pick Up Only! Northern MD

Hi All, For sale are 2 Grade B picassos from Doni's Reef. They have been together since July 2011. They were reportedly between 3 and 6 months when I received them, making them around 2 - 2.5 years old. These need to be picked up. I will not ship these. I am located in Harford County MD. I am...
  6. chipmunkofdoom2

Blocked At Work!

So the filter at work was apparently updated to block hobby/forum websites, and Reef Sanctuary is included in there :( I'll be on when I can find the patience to tether to my phone, or at home. If for some reason you want to get in contact with me, send me a PM. Merry Christmas and Happy...
  7. chipmunkofdoom2

LEDs and Eye Safety

To those with LED lights, I don't need to preach to you about not looking directly into the LEDs.. the spots you see for an hour after serve as enough of a reminder. I remember when I first powered on those first Cree XR-Es long ago, I stared at them for a good while, quite disbelieving how...
  8. chipmunkofdoom2

Emergency Battery Backup For ANY Tank Of ANY Size - Step by Step

Hi everyone! So I live on the east coast and courtesy of Irene, I was without power from 5am Sunday to 10:30pm Monday night! Thankfully my ever-so-hearty clowns from Doni made it :) What’s really saved my bacon is my power backup system I setup for my tank.. even though I undersized the battery...
  9. chipmunkofdoom2

My Tank's Turning ... Pink??

Okay so my new 29ones is in it's third week of cycling and one of the seams is turning pink. It's only a small area right behind my Via Aqua's temp probe. It doesn't rub off, and it is ONLY right behind the temp probe. I rinsed out the tank (I didn't scrub it or anything) and I rinsed the...
  10. chipmunkofdoom2

29G - A New Beginning!

Hello all! I finally moved out of my parent's place and got myself a modest condo in the Bel Air, MD area, and of course I couldn't not have a tank :) I had some trouble leveling it out, but after I got a nice sheet of 3/4" wood (not ply, a nice finish-type wood for furniture) it's shimmed...
  11. chipmunkofdoom2

Leveling Stand? I Suspect The Carpet...

Hi everyone! I'm planning out a 29g for the living room and am running into snags already. The stand (prefab) is not level. I'm getting a level for better info, but right now I can tell you the bottom of the stand is 2.25" from the wall, the top is 4". The stand is 30" tall. When I press...
  12. chipmunkofdoom2

So What's The Deal With These LEDs?

A good question, I'm glad you asked. Well, technically, I asked myself, but many people out there are hearing more and more and more about LEDs and starting to wonder if they're right for their tank. The good news is for MOST hobbyists and MOST tanks, LEDs are a great lighting solution. You'll...
  13. chipmunkofdoom2

GloFish®

Kind of makes you want to go back to freshwater: Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: GloFish(R), Danio rerio Wonder if they can be acclimated to live in saltwater..
  14. chipmunkofdoom2

Chipmunk's DIY ATO Guide - Step by Step!

Hello all, back again with more DIY scheming :D This next DIY for my pico is for an ATO (or Auto-topoff unit), however, since this guide "overbuilds" a little, this design can really work with any tank. Since I see this design so frequently and I see so many people making these wrong, this is...
  15. chipmunkofdoom2

Chipmunk's DIY LED Pico Fixture

Hello all. I recently got back into the hobby with my 2.5 gallon pico and the lighting is kind of lacking. For those who don't know, I did the research and built BigAl07 an LED retro for his NC12. LEDs don't look flattering in pics, but these things are POWERFUL, and it was powerful even over...
  16. chipmunkofdoom2

Chipmunk's 2.5g Pico - OF DOOM!

Hello all, it's been a while.. Life certainly can change a lot in a short period of time. I graduated college this spring, am on my second job since that time, and am finally making medium-big bucks! At any rate, I sold my 29G about 6 months ago due to time, space and money constraints. Here...
  17. chipmunkofdoom2

30 Gallon Setup - $300 obo

Selling the tank. Need to move, don't have time to maintain or take it with me. Included: 30 gallon tank ~40# Caribbean rock Large ball of cheato HOB Filter rated for 30 gallons 130w PC fixture - one of the fans is going out, both have already been replaced. Bulbs could use a swapping out...
  18. chipmunkofdoom2

Sponge-like Growth On Zoas

Hello all. Having some issues with my blue zoas that I've had for a couple months. There are two colonies on the same rock, one a tad higher up than the other. The one colony had been looking kinda angry for the past couple days or so and at first I thought nothing of it.. they had done that...
  19. chipmunkofdoom2

Salt Mix Comparison Study

Hello all. Been looking up differences in salt mixes and came across this very informative scientific salt mix study. I'm sure many have seen something like this before, but just thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested.
  20. chipmunkofdoom2

Jeremy0322 - Good Seller

Recently bought two Koralia 1's from Jeremy. Cleaned them up and they work/look great. Upgraded my flow from probably around 300 gph to around 800-900 gph. Would recommend.