Search results

1. W

knoxville LFS

Do you know the address? Last time I was there they were about to move but I don't know where they were going,
  2. W

Skimmer Placement

ok, maybe a dumb question but one I have been thinking about non the less. On your output of your skimmer, does the opening have to be above the water level if it were installed in a sump? What happens if it (opening) is below your water level? TIA
  3. W

Priming Vortex D-1 Filter

I simply put the charge in a separate container. I then lower the container into the tank I want to filter. Put both the input and output from the diatom into the container. Let it run for a whie just recirculating the container water. As it begins to clear I then take the output tube into...
  4. W

Reef Safe Fish

Thanks for the opinions. I decided to keep the blenny, coral beauty, and chance the coral banded shrimp. So far, everyone is friendly. Gonna miss the lemonpeel though, he was a good fish.
  5. W

diatomaceous earth

Sure, anyone who has charged a diatom filter has. It can have good results. I thought about using it on continual basis one time, I was concered that the earth which I think is silicate based, would leach into the water long term and create problems. Is it true that the DE is silicate...
  6. W

Getting ready to ditch GSP

Does it have any detritus on it? Redirect some flow to hit it with moderate movement. Not uncommon for them to close up, two weeks is a bit long but doesn't necessarily mean they are dead.
  7. W

Reef Safe Fish

Any opinions on how well these fish are with a mixed reef system. I seem to find all sorts of conflicting information so more opinions are needed: Coral Beauty Lemon Peel Coral Banded Shrimp with Cleaner Shrimp Convict Blenny Algae Blenny Tank is mixed reef, 120 Gallon I need to...
  8. W

Southdown Sandstorm Advice

Mine never went away. I had to resort to a diatom filter for a full day before it started to clear. Three diatom charges and three days later, finally clear. Everything in the tank was covered with silt. YUCK. Would guess the corals would not be happy. Don't do it.
  9. W

Live Brine Shrimp & Ich

If you hatched from cyst that were freeze dried, how would the ich be introduced? Interested to understand if they survive the freeze drying process
  10. W

Bubbles in Skimmer Exhaust

Try running the output through a sponge filter of sorts. You'll need to rinse the sponge frequently to prevent detritus buildup.
  11. W

Help with outlet box/panel

I'm no expert. Here's what I did. The first plug in the sequence should be a GFCI. Each plug that follows in the circuit after the GFCI (assuming it was fed from the GFCI) will be protected as well. From there its just a matter of taking the wires and running them from one plug to the...
  12. W

Looking for copepods

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/swinverts.html Never purchased from them but they've got a good selection.
  13. W

Actinic 03 420nm vs. 460nm

Good info., I've always been fond of the URI actinics.
  14. W

Actinic 03 420nm vs. 460nm

Do we know who OEMs the Light Source actinic and resells it under their marketing name?
  15. W

Black PVC

What about the PVC pipe that is used for electrical conduit. States schedule 40 and it a neutral grey. Would this work for you? Its available at Lowes and HD reasonably. Schedule 80 can get expensive particularly the fitting. Overkill for our applications.
  16. W

bicubic interpolation

When you're checking the image siz and setting the "best" and 150LPI you are in fact interpolatiing just you're letting the machine do it for you. It works well because of the 150 LPI choice. In some cases, you may get better results using informed choices and different methods. ie High...
  17. W

overflow

Your pump will control the flow rate. As water flows up from the sump into the tank, it forces water to rise thus overflowing and heading back down to the sump. The flow rate is a max. statement. you should be fine
  18. W

Full moon tonight...whose got pics?

Here's a hint for a full moon: Use a starting exposure of F16 @ shutter speed 1/ISO Speed where ISO is the spped of your film. Surprisingly, it will be close. The moon is much brighter than you think and meters are useless in this case.
  19. W

pvc cement or glue

If you're using PVC, any cement rated for PVC will be effective. If you're using acrylic and PVC, Weld-On #16 will bond PVC to Acrylic or acrylic to acrylic. The #16 is a gel, for fast results Weld-On #3 or #4 works well on acrylic to acrylic bonds
  20. W

It's spring time, let's see some OT pics...

Another interesting and easy trick for creating black backgrounds is to take a translucent white fabric (or diffusing disk) and shade the background. Exposue for the main subject. How dark the background goes is solely dependent upon the exposure difference between the main subject and the...