Search results

1. Reddog170

Back with a Bio Cube 8

Like the tittle says I am back into salt with a little bio cube 8 gallon. Now it is moving along a LOT faster than I expected. It is 6 days old and is already in the middle of an ammonia spike with nitrites spiking as well. This has a few people stumped, one to the point that he stopped by with...
  2. Reddog170

Reworking my BioCube 8

I have not been on here for a while so with the start of a new little project I thought I would share. A while back I downsized everything to just a single 8 gallon Bio-Cube. It has been OK, just never great. I have had 2 ballasts burn out, learned to hate the lighting all together. The...
  3. Reddog170

LED Questions

I have decided to retro a LED build into the hood of my 8 gallon Bio-Cube. How do I figure just how many LED's I need? What ones do I need? At first I was going to split half white and half blue, but now I am seeing more being built with reds, greens as well. I have been doing the research...
  4. Reddog170

BioCube 8, update

If you remember last September I got an 8 gallon bio-cube. I have now added my first life to it, a maroon clown that my mom got me for Christmas. The stock lights are pc and I am hating them, may do a retro LED build with them. The front pc light burns out every couple weeks, new ballast and...
  5. Reddog170

New little tank, and a question

I am putting a 5 gallon nano together. Nothing fancy but a nice peice to add to my desk. I was wondering, is there a fish that will be happy in a tank this size? I have run through the common smaller fish but cant think of one off the top of my head. Thank you, Shaun
  6. Reddog170

Shutting down sale

Until I can get things straitend out I will have to shut down my tank. Now I have stuff that will need new homes. I have 3 anemones: 1 Rose Bubble tip for $65 1 Green with pink tip bubble tip $50 and one that is just a plain jane BTA for $25 I have a 4 inch blueish purple clam for $50 I...
  7. Reddog170

For anyone wanting to attend MACNA

MACNA 2011 in Des Moines, Iowa will be one of the largest marine hobby events ever held. Join us for this spectacular event! Des Moines has been voted the best city to host a trade show with easy access from a large section of the country and very affordable prices. Come see the largest trade...
  8. Reddog170

Neat Tip

While I was at Wal-Mart I found a screen basket that is used to replace the paper coffee filters. I tried it out with rinsing charcoal. Worked great. Was quick, clean and easy. No more bags, and saving money. Only cost $3. Just thought I would share. Shaun
  9. Reddog170

Quick update

I have not been on here much so I figured I would post an update on how things are going. My 47 tower has been put on hold. Little Jon and I have a 40 breeder that has taken off quite well. It has the 40 breeder DT, a 20 long sump and a 10 gallon refugium. We have 2 fish, a maroon clown (total...
  10. Reddog170

Macna 2011

Hi my name is Shaun from the Greater Iowa Reef Society. I will be your club liaison for this years MACNA. I will be checking in every week to answer any questions you may have about MACNA and to keep you up to date on speakers, vendors, hotels and other news that is MACNA related. If...
  11. Reddog170

ORP Question

Well I was going to get a reef angel controller but after 2 delays now with them being on back order I have decided that I am not that patient. I will be getting a Reef Keeper Elite instead. Now on to my question. What is ORP? The probe is optional. Is it something that I need to be watching...
  12. Reddog170

In the Chat room

Time to chat up a bit.
  13. Reddog170

Great new LFS

Over the weekend I was able to visit a new LFS. The owner has had reef tanks for a number of years. He polled and asked what people wanted in an LFS. The new store has everything you need. When you start looking at stuff he starts asking you about your system. When I told him that my son was...
  14. Reddog170

Little Poseidens 40

Well after helping out with a tank change last Saturday i bought her old 40 gallon breeder and Reef Octopus skimmer for $50. My 7 year old is so excited. He has proven that he can maintain nano tanks quite well. He does his own water changes, testing and basic maintenance himself. This will be...
  15. Reddog170

Reef Octopus Questions

Well I helped out with a tank switch yesterday and ended up buying her old tank and skimmer. The skimmer is a Reef Octopus Hurricane 500. Now I have never messed with a recirculating skimmer before. Is the maxi jet 900 really all it needs to feed it? Do I have to do anything else with the...
  16. Reddog170

Are you ready?

Just figured I would post something for those that may have overlooked a few things. With the onset of winter the likelyhood of a power outage increases. I have built my own generators in the past but this year with the cost of generators coming down I bought one. UPS backups are also a good...
  17. Reddog170

400 watt Mh lights

I have two 400 watt blue line ballasts, 1 mogul socket, 1 14000k hamilton bulb with about 2 months use and 1 diy reflector. I am asking $125 plus shipping.
  18. Reddog170

Controller info..

Well I have spent a fair amount of time researching controllers. This is some of what I have found. I will start with the Reef Keeper Elite: You should be able to pick one up for around $400. They have a track record for dependable performance. They will run pretty much all of your equipment...
  19. Reddog170

Merry Christmas!!!

Just want to wish everyone a Happy and safe Christmas. Shaun
  20. Reddog170

Another "What is the best" Question

Well I am reworking my entire system. In the process I am once again thinking about a new skimmer. I am using a Super Skimmer 65 right now but wonder what is really the best skimmer for my system. Now I have seen high end skimmers that wont clean the gunk off there own pump. I have also seen...