Search results

1. D

Took almost 2 years, but the clowns have finally settled...

Yep stock lighting. It has been going strong and has grown in size considerably since I got it :)
  2. D

Took almost 2 years, but the clowns have finally settled...

Hey all, Just a quick post, but I wanted to give hope to those who have been waiting an inordinate amount of time for their clowns to host an anemone they added to their tank. It has been almost 2 years and my clowns JUST became new best friends with my RBTA . Previously, they wouldn't stray...
  3. D

How many Nassarius Vibex snails do you have in your RSM 130?

I have about 10 or so in mine... I use Carib Oolite sand and I find the CUC additions that made the biggest difference were 2 fighting conch snails. Hope this helps!
  4. D

Can you/have you justified the purchase of an RO Unit for your RSM 130?

Terry, out of curiousity, what 4 stage unit did you buy? Everything is more expensive up here in Canada, so this is why I'm debating the investment. On the plus side, apparently Toronto has some of the highest quality water in North America.
  5. D

Thanks for the responses guys. Glenn, you have an RSM130 and carry out regular water changes - how often do you change the filters on that thing? Any other RSM130 owners purchase an RO unit?
  6. D

I love the look of a sparkling clean tank, but I have recently been guilty of doing water changes only once a month or so. As a result, I spend lengthy hours (about 3 or 4) every month cleaning undesirable contents out of my tank and then carrying out a 25 - 30% water change. I'm deciding to...
  7. D

Emerald Crabs and Corals

I lost 3 large colonies of pulsing Xenia coral to a group of emerald crabs I was keeping in my tank... I'm not sure if just one or two were the problem, but it's safe to say I will never again keep them in my tank. Great cleaners without a doubt, but just be willing to lose a coral or two if...
  8. D

Flow Problem

Worked like a charm. You're a champ! THANK YOU!
  9. D

Flow Problem

Alright. I've had my RSM130 for 3 years or so now and just recently, I made the switch over to the inTank media rack and a Tunze Nano Skimmer. Here's my issue: Everything was operating fine for a month or so and Wednesday, I gave my tank a good scrub down and water change. Now, the flow in my...
  10. D

Feeding while away from home

So this is my improvised system of taking care of my tank while I'm away for extended periods of time. Works like a charm. 1. Auto-top off 2. Flip-open the front lid of my tank to control temperature (often I don't have the air conditioning on) and to place an automatic fish feeder that...
  11. D

Led mod advice needed

Magnum... awesome video. I've been contemplating adding a Powerbrite LED fixture to my tank for quite some time now but have talked myself out of it. I guess my only concern is that when the main RSM lights are turned on, very little shimmering effect can be achieved with the Powerbrite LED's...
  12. D

Hood open and closed?

Thought I'd just share my experience... I live in Toronto, Ontario, and summer temperatures typically soar into the 90s during the summer months. I do not have a chiller and while I do run the A/C during heatwaves, I have had to leave the front portion of my hood open many times to ensure this...
  13. D

Anyone have a slick way to do water changes.?

Lmao... I'm sorry, I couldn't pass up commenting on this post. I haven't read a post and actually laughed out loud in a long time. Hilarious.
  14. D

What cleans my sand?

I have a 5-6 inch DSB in my tank so cleaning my sandbed was a primary concern for me. I have about 15 nassarius snails which eat leftover/excess food that lands on my sandbed; they also help turn the sand over on a regular basis. As far as cleaning algae off the sandbed goes, my astrea...
  15. D

Frustrated with my 130D-air bubbles

Just thought I'd add my two cents... I've been dealing with microbubbles for several years now, though they've never been too much of a bother. I also thought I might need to 'break in' my stock skimmer but to this day, the problem still persists. I purchased the Tunze 9002 skimmer last...
  16. D

How deep is everyones sand?

My sandbed is about 5 - 6 inches all around. I wanted to go for a DSB as I heard great things about them.... plus, I like the look of the CaribSea oolite fine grain sand versus the stock stuff the RSM came with. Haven't had any problems and I do believe it has contributed to stable...
  17. D

UK RSM 130D quick video

Can anyone help me identify the blue/yellow fish with the black stripe through it in this tank? Great looking fish.. Thanks!
  18. D

Xenia Crab - Reef Safe?

Hey guys, Thought I'd ask the experts as I see conflicting opinions online about Xenia crabs which apparently form symbiotic (but sometimes parasitic) relationships with their host coral. I purchased a pulsing Xenia last week and found this little guy hanging out in the coral. I quickly...
  19. D

Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla variety) in RSM130?

Hmmm... thanks Reefmack. Good reference point. Still makes me wonder though, whether or not a similar type of care could be provided in a RSM130 if you were housing a smaller specimen. I know that lighting requirements are an issue, but folks have also said that about keeping clams and...
  20. D

Keeping LR rubble in rear chambers?

Hmmm... I always thought Pugs (the dog) were so ugly they were cute. This totally takes it to a whole different level!