Search results

1. L

Old RSM's 130 - Long running RSM's -

Hello everyone... I have been running a RSM 130 since almost 4 years. My mods: - 2 Hydor Flo - Added one in-tank circulation pump - Steve's rack with floss on top and PhosBan below - Upgraded to a Tunze skimmer after the stock skimmer pump impeller failed. - Nothing under the pumps...
  2. L

Free - Ocean Wave Ro/Di Unit - Seattle Pickup Only

Please read in full before sending PM... I have a used Ocean Wave Ro/Di unit from the filter guys for free for you, assuming you're OK with: - YOU pick up in downtown Seattle (no shipping, please don't ask) - Osmotic membrane is 90% dead. - DI resin replacement is WAY overdue - Other...
  3. L

The "In-Depth" Surface Skimmer Upgrade Review

Hello there, I got my "upgrade" earlier last week and installed it last Saturday. Ordering, Price, Shipping: I ordered the "thing" on the phone (888 toll free number) and my CC was charged when the items shipped. Everything nicely packaged. The cost of the upgrade is about $40. (US)...
  4. L

Elos System 70?

Hello, Any owners of the Elos System 70? I am considering a purchase and I would like to hear about real owner's experiences, not just the usual rants about the price of these systems. I know that Barrier Reef is a distributor in the greater Seattle area but is there any other? Thank...
  5. L

Trip to Vancouver BC Aquarium

A few pictures from a recent trip to the Vancouver BC Aquarium. Reef tanks, cold water corals and anemones, jellyfishes...
  6. L

Frozen foods: How long?

I am feeding sparingly my nano tank since about 18 months with frozen foods: Brine shrimps, mysis, Formula One: everything purchased 18 months ago. How long all this stuff is supposed to last in the freezer? Should I replace everything? I had no power outage since three years but I am...
  7. L

Experience with Flame Hawkfish in the RSM?

I have done a bit of research and I am now considering a Flame Hawkfish ( Neocirrhites armatus ) as my third fish in my RSM. It seems to be a good choice according to online vendors but if anyone has real world experience, it is much better... My other fishes are a small Pyjama Damsel and an...
  8. L

Replacement for Skimmer Pump Impeller

I have been searching everywhere on the web a store that sells this replacement part but nothing... Does anyone know where to click? Thanks! Notes: - I have found impellers for the circulation pumps and the entire skimmer pump but what I need is only the impeller for the skimmer...
  9. L

My RSM: Version 2.0

The continuation of the nightmare thread or a new beginning? We'll see... Here is now how it looks after a full day of cleaning and a major re-aquascaping: Everything is lower... Less rock. All easily removable. Good and strong flow everywhere. By the way here is my vaguely "new"...
  10. L

My RSM: Endless pest algae nightmare

Hello all, The beginning of the 'story' is in the massive RSM thread... Here is a short version: After installing a canister filter and also a few weeks of neglect, nitrates and detritus accumulated badly in my tank, first killing a bunch of snails and then hurting the corals. That triggered...
  11. L

Adding a canister filter to the RSM setup

A few months ago, I added a canister filter to my RSM setup. I did so hoping to solve the issue of not being able to clean/replace the filter media in the pump chamber without completely removing the hood. Other people did the same and apparently all were quite happy with the modified setup...